Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question re Crèche

Options
  • 07-08-2012 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭

We will be expecting our first child in November and are going to go looking at a few creche's over the next while so that we are ready to book in advance.

The question I have is probably more of a logistical issue but essentially Im not sure if we should be looking at a crèche near our home or near our work.

We live in Dublin 7, she works in Ballsbridge and I work about 10 mins walk away(from our home) in Dublin 8.

We will need a crèche from about 5 months onwards. We don't plan to stay in Dublin 7 for too long and ultimately would like to buy a house in Dublin(probably south part of city).

Finally- crèche v childminder - the few people I've spoken to say a crèche are much better as it doesn't get 'personal' but just wondering what other peopes opinions are?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

If you plan on moving house then I would get a creche near work so you do not have the upset of moving creches.
    We knew we were going to move and work was 40 minutes by train so it just made sense that she would commute with me.
    Alot of creches ill not take a baby of 5 months so have a good chat with them 1st.
    Good luck with the search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Alot of creches ill not take a baby of 5 months

Moonbeam, just wondering why would a creche not take a baby of five months? We only get 6 months maternity leave here, 2 weeks of which by law have to be taken before the due date. A lot of people, especially on first pregnancies, go overdue by 2 weeks. I did. My daughter started her settling in week the week before she turned 5 months.

Also, anyone self employed will not be entitled to those maternity benefits at all, so usually they go back to work even earlier.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Some creches only take babies over 1 for ratios and cost which is understandable.(3:1)
    some only take them from 6 months and some from 9 it is up to the individual creche.
    You are also entitles to bank holidays and annual leave while on maternity leave and with the 16 weeks unpaid it seems normal that people are going back when the babies are a bit older.
    I know some of the large chains take them from 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Buyingcar2012

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Some creches only take babies over 1 for ratios and cost which is understandable.(3:1)
    some only take them from 6 months and some from 9 it is up to the individual creche.
    You are also entitles to bank holidays and annual leave while on maternity leave and with the 16 weeks unpaid it seems normal that people are going back when the babies are a bit older.
    I know some of the large chains take them from 12 weeks.

That's great thanks. I'm going to look at some this weekend. Does anyone have a list of questions to ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Questions I asked:

-Can we look at the different areas for different age children.

-Will the child be assigned one main consistent carer?

-What are the rates, and do they drop as the child gets older. Do you have to pay for bank holidays, creche closures (due to a bug outbreak). Do you pay for your own holidays, ie when the child isn't there.

-bottle policy. Do you provide bottles for their fridge, or you provide powder and they make it up? What temperature is the bottle given to the baby.

-What is the food policy. (Some places provide cooked meals and snacks for them as they get older, others you provide everything every day)

-What do you need to provide in terms of nappies, wipes, baby powder etc?

-How often are nappies changed?

-What is the policy on sickness? Do they take temperature, at what point is a parent called?

-Ask to see the accident/incident logbook

-collection policy, how many nominated contacts can collect the child.

-opening hours. What are the drop-off and collection times.

-ask to see the sleep room, and discuss nap routine with them.

-Note the other children in there, if they seem busy etc.

-Is there a secure outdoor play area. If they go outside, is there suncream applied and provided, or rain gear.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

most important questions

- a copy of the most recent HSE report

- how long have the staff worked there

Advertisement