Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of doing groundworks (8 foot deep trench)

• 07-08-2012 3:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭

How much would a ground works person or company charge to dig a 2.4 meter wide x 2.4 meter deep hole for a rainwater tank and rainwater pipe?

Also to dig a 5 meter long x 600mm deep trench for a rainwater pipe?

How many days would that take and what sort of cost should I be looking at here?

Also what the slimmest mini/micro digger availabe to hire at the moment (needs to be able to fit through a 900mm wide door space)

Thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Stove Fan

paddy147 wrote: »
    How much would a ground works person or company charge to dig a 2.4 meter wide x 2.4 meter deep hole for a rainwater tank and rainwater pipe?

Also to dig a 5 meter long x 600mm deep trench for a rainwater pipe?

How many days would that take and what sort of cost should I be looking at here?

Also what the slimmest mini/micro digger availabe to hire at the moment (needs to be able to fit through a 900mm wide door space)

Thanks.:)

I would say about 35 euro an hour plus transportation costs. This is how much we were charged for a JCB digger and large 20 ton case tracked digger for septic tank etc.

I would be a bit worried of digging a 2.4m deep hole so near the house foundations? Don't know if being so near could undermine them:confused:

Stove Fan:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Stove Fan wrote: »
    I would say about 35 euro an hour plus transportation costs. This is how much we were charged for a JCB digger and large 20 ton case tracked digger for septic tank etc.

I would be a bit worried of digging a 2.4m deep hole so near the house foundations? Don't know if being so near could undermine them:confused:

Stove Fan:)

Its 900mm in from each wall.......(garage wall and garden boundary wall).

The rainwater engineer chap who visited us,told us that we would "just" get away with it.That 900mm would be the closest that he would go,anything closer would potentially cause serious problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

I really wouldn't dig that close to your house with such a depth. Usually you go out as far as you go down i.e. 2.4m or 45 degrees, but this would only be in good stiff soil.

There is good chance that you will cause cracking to masonry (or worse).

Wonder will this 'Rainwater' Engineer pay you if damage is caused?

could you not make the tank shallower but spread over a larger area?

Max Moment wrote: »
    I really wouldn't dig that close to your house with such a depth. Usually you go out as far as you go down i.e. 2.4m or 45 degrees, but this would only be in good stiff soil.

There is good chance that you will cause cracking to masonry (or worse).

Wonder will this 'Rainwater' Engineer pay you if damage is caused?

could you not make the tank shallower but spread over a larger area?

The tank me and my missus are looking at is 2.4 meters wide and just over 2 meters tall.Thats a 6000 litre volume
    tank.

I dont know of any shallower tanks,in precast concrete though?

Are there shallower tanks out there?

Im looking at at least a 5000 litre volume tank.

Would a plastic tank be just as strong and survive underground and the weight of the soil on it??

Then again,what size would a plastic 5000 litre underground tank be??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

A plastic tank would be fine and different sizes are available. Have a look at this.

Note the distance from the Building and method of filling to prevent crushing when installing.

These lads are in Rathcoole from memory

Just on the pre-cast Concrete Tanks. This would be very difficult to install as it is so heavy - I'd say a crane would be needed?

Max Moment wrote: »
    A plastic tank would be fine and different sizes are available. Have a look at this.

Note the distance from the Building and method of filling to prevent crushing when installing.

These lads are in Rathcoole from memory

Just on the pre-cast Concrete Tanks. This would be very difficult to install as it is so heavy - I'd say a crane would be needed?

Yep,its a crane job alright.:(:D

The rainwater chap told us that the span would be 21 feet from crane/truck location to excavation,and his large crane/truck would be able to lift it into position.

I might just give that company a call tomorrow.

Thanks.

Advertisement