Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the inevitable for European countries

• 07-08-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

With the European Parliament set on a federal states of Europe and their end goal being total integration,where do you all see it going.
    I think in the next two decades Ireland will continue to be sidelined by Europe and the ascension states will find their feet and develope to an equal status financially per se with the likes of Ireland,holland etc.
    We have to just accept that Ireland will not progress like it did before and we will have to get a sharp sense of reality here in regards to wages,value for money and value for services provided privately but mainly in our public sector.
    I believe the end game is for a totally unilateral Europe where no country has far greater wages than others or higher so called standards of living.
    This would most likely lead to far less inter immigration within Europe with people choosing to stay in there own countries as no particular country would have the lure of richer rewards barr weather.
    At the moment in Poland the wages are not good but consumer goods are not cheap making the country very uneven,a very rich and poor with a minority middle class,the same goes for most of the former soviet states.
    Then realistically the sooner we get a federal states of Europe the better as it will speed the process of a fairer Europe and lead to less immigration but letting each country grow on an even par and a choice to remain in your home country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

In a federal Europe there would be no inter State immigration/emigration by definition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

The whole shagging thing will collapse long before the 'fully integrated' Europe full of high tax paying, biometric ID card using Europeans gets a chance to materialise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭seantorious

More people will wear hats.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

No matter what happens it's all gonna end with a moustached man sieg heiling to millions of supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Jorah wrote: »
    No matter what happens it's all gonna end with a moustached man sieg heiling to millions of supporters.

All Hitler needed was the power of democracy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A federal "United States of Europe" is a long way away. Not in any of our lifetimes anyway.

There's a tendency to forget that these things don't happen overnight. The USA was initially founded on 13 States. Ignoring the large section of the U.S. that was bought from France (which is clearly not an option in Europe's case), it was nearly 60 years before there was any meaningful expansion of the U.S. territory as a result of states agreeing to join the federation.

And that was a federation of burgeoning economies with relatively small populations and only a small amount of cultural/civic history behind them.

In Europe's case you're talking about a federal amalgamation of mostly stable and well-developed economies in states that have hundreds if not thousands of years of their own individual and strongly nationalist history and culture.

The best we will see will be a certain amount of absolute control handed over to an E.U. government in specific areas, but moving much beyond our existing setup is very unlikely IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Jorah wrote: »

It took just five posts until The Fuhrer was mentioned. Impressive stuff.

A federal Europe will never happen. Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

I think Ireland will turn into a giant ant and eat all the rest of europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Rain for the ones in the west anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I used to despise Declan Ganley.

Now I view him as the voice of reason.

And that worries me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭KenSwee

This is a personal view. I don't know enough about the politics of Europe to comment on the political situation to any major degree.

I think a united Europe will eventually happen. I'm not sure in my lifetime but definitely in my children's.
    At the moment, it's just not possible due to anti united Europe feeling, and of course the Euro. Quite simply, once the economic crises sorts itself out to some degree that at least acceptable, the cause for European integration will begin again.

It will be spearheaded by Germany but not the Germany that we all know from the second world war. I firmly believe that the Germans of today truly believe that a united Europe is the best way forward for all who consider themselves Europeans. There is no secret agenda from them. A little condescending but that's just them.

We shouldn't be afraid of integration yet most are. I do fear the rise of right wing idiots who always rear their heads once the money problems start and yes there is a lot of racism but it's cause is buried in jealousy and contempt for somebody else who is doing better than them. If everybody was doing well, then nobody would grumble about those "bloody foreigners taking our jobs".

An very optimistic attitude? Yes. But I am married to a beautiful Polish girl and that probably wouldn't have happened if Europe wasn't the way it is. So I am all for a European federal state on a personal level. Is it the right time? No, absolutely not, but it will come.

Advertisement