Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a flat with no legal contract ...

Options
  • 07-08-2012 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to move out after three years in a rented granny house. It was all done by cash, the landlord paid no tax. I got no rent relief.

When I arrived things were pretty clean. The freezer wasn't working, so I never got to use it. I had notified the landlord who said it did work ... I said no. He said ok and it stayed like this.

I have broken a few cup, plates, sheer curtains needs changing, carpet is a bit dirty after 3 years ... I am planning on replacing the cups and plate. I guess the carpet being dirty is part of the 'wear and tear'. so I'll vacuum it and it should be ok.

Now for the important question : my cat ruined the couch ( the cat was indeed allowed). However the couch had a broken spring anyway. I am not sure what to do.
    • Do I get a cheap new couch?
    • Do I wait for the landlord to refuse to give me my 500 euro back?
    • Do I point out the spring and say : well it was broken anyway?
    As everything was done under the table and he's recently bought a brand new 2012 Mercedes ... I am tempted to do the latter. That couch wasn't always broken, but I have been able to feel the spring for about a year. It's not very confortable.

I have been screwed every time I have moved out and always lost money to greedy landlords or horrible flatmates. In this case I have never had any problem with my current landlord. He's a nice guy... or has been so far.

What do you reckon is the best thing to do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

Hi,

I have been screwed every time I have moved out and always lost money to greedy landlords or horrible flatmates. In this case I have never had any problem with my current landlord. He's a nice guy... or has been so far.

What do you reckon is the best thing to do?

Better to be safe than sorry. Tell him to keep use your deposit for the last month's rent. Just say that it's because of cash flow problems etc

Tell him that you believe the flat is in the same condition as it was when you rented it bar normal wear and tear.

If he's a nice guy then he should be ok with that. If he's not ok with that then he probably has the intention of ripping you off the deposit anyway so you win both ways

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

How do you know he is not paying tax? Granny flats are a grey area, and can in some cases be treated the same as the rent a room scheme.

In any case the couch is damaged beyond normal wear and tear, and you are liable for repair or replace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Thanks guys :)
    I'll see if he lets me replace the couch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

Thanks guys :)
    I'll see if he lets me replace the couch.

If he's cool with that, have a look on adverts.ie before you buy new - people there are always looking to unload OK secondhand couches for cheap (or even free).

Hi! Thanks for the tips. I contacted the landlord who is on a month long holiday and told him I was going to replace the couch and he was happy with it. I am keeing an eye out for two seaters on adverts.

I have three weeks to find a couch and dispose of the old one.

Moving is so stressful...

Now I need to find something to prevent my cat from ruining the new couch... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Ì can't remember if the rules have changed but you should be able to apply for Rent Relief retrospectively for the years you have paid rent there. Provided this isn't technically under the Rent-A-Room system. It should cover the cost of the couch for you.

Newaglish wrote: »
    Ì can't remember if the rules have changed but you should be able to apply for Rent Relief retrospectively for the years you have paid rent there. Provided this isn't technically under the Rent-A-Room system. It should cover the cost of the couch for you.

I'm pretty sure it's under no scheme at all ... I asked about rent relief when I moved in (2009) and I was told by the landlord it wasn't going to be possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I'm pretty sure it's under no scheme at all ... I asked about rent relief when I moved in (2009) and I was told by the landlord it wasn't going to be possible.

It's not up to the landlord.

See this link about claiming: http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/it/credits/rent-credit.html

More info on this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=76908034

Advertisement