Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Less than half of Irish people consider themselves religious

• 07-08-2012 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/survey-claims-many-irish-people-are-questioning-faith-562085.html
    Irish people are becoming less religious according to a major new survey.

Less than half of Irish people would consider themselves to be religious, leaving Ireland 43rd out of 57 countries in the report.

The WIN-Gallup International Religion and Atheism Index measures global self-perception on belief.

It found that poorer countries are more religious than richer nations.

The report also revealed that many Irish people have been questioning their faith in the wake of the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/ireland-drops-in-religious-countries-survey/
    Irish people are becoming less religious according to a major new survey.

Less than half of us would consider ourselves to be religious leaving us 43rd out of 57 countries.

The WIN-Gallup international Religion and Atheism Index measures global self-perception on belief.

And that many Irish people have been questioning their faith in the wake of the abuse scandals in the Catholic Church.

Sinead Mooney is Deputy Managing Director of Red C research.

She explains the drop in the number of people who would call themselves religious.

Interesting!

Would like to know more about the details of this survey, but it seems to be only reported on 3 news sites at the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

People are waking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

As modern society evolves, so too will people's beliefs.

Without wanting to bash religious believers, I'm quite happy in the drop of faith and hope for it to continue. Religion has held this country back for too long imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

they might not call themselves religious but they'll still call themselves catholic, morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

87 percent catholic, 50 percent religious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

Like any paradigm shift these things take time. I really hope there'll be a point in our future where these practices will be resigned to the dark ages, where they belong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

'Less than half of us would consider ourselves to be religious leaving us 43rd out of 57 countries'

43rd most religious or 43rd most atheist :confused:

If it's the former, the writer is a religious bigot
    If it's the latter, the writer is an atheist bigot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Red_Wake

I'd be more interested in how religious various demographics were tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Should have ticked the non religious box on the census forms, then.

Now the god botherers use the census as "proof" that the majority of people in Ireland are still Catholic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

"I'm not religious like but shure I still go to Mass the odd time like just to be sure like."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

still catholic though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    "I'm not religious like but shure I still go to Mass the odd time like just to be sure like."

I.e: Funerals, weddings and christenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Red_Wake wrote: »
    I'd be more interested in how religious various demographics were tbh.

Total numbers for religious groupings in 2011:
    Roman Catholic: 3,861,000
    Church of Ireland: 129,000
    Muslim: 49,200
    Orthodox: 45,200
    Other christian: 41,299
    Presbyterian: 24,600
    Apostolic or Pentecostal: 14,000
    Other: 81,000
    No religion: 269,000
    Not stated: 72,900

Source; Census 2011.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't really care how many people consider themselves to be religious. It's of no relevance to me whether 1% of the population go to mass or 99%. The basic fact of the matter is that religion and the state should be separated in every way... and not just because a majority of people do or do not consider themselves to be religious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

It's like in Terry Pratchett novels, the atheists are too afraid to say that they're atheist in case the get smited by the Gods.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Like any paradigm shift these things take time. I really hope there'll be a point in our future where these practices will be resigned to the dark ages, where they belong.

The Dark Ages? That mythical perception of a period of history that only now survives in the endless exaggeration in Internet forums? I am completely digressing but I'm just tired of history being abused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I only go to give all my cash to the politicians' arse-licking lackeys collecting at the church gates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

At least the half in Ireland that consider themselves non religious can say so without having to ' toe the line like everybody else ' ...so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I'm confused. You could have a deep faith in a 'deity' yet not practice the old sit down-stand up-kneel down routine and be considered non-religious?

Shouldn't the survey say "Less than half of Irish people practice their religion"?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

I don't really care how many people consider themselves to be religious. It's of no relevance to me whether 1% of the population go to mass or 99%. The basic fact of the matter is that religion and the state should be separated in every way... and not just because a majority of people do or do not consider themselves to be religious.

Often this claim comes up with regard to politician's personal beliefs. Do you consider yourself influenced atheism/agnosticism/ or a religion? The only true answer would be yes. In the same way a belief system will inevitably influence adherents. Its impossible to separate people from their beliefs whether it is Atheism or Judaism. I support separation of church and state (as it is in this country!) but some people have unrealistic ideas about what that entails.

In sum it is no more wrong for a politician to be influenced by his beliefs then it is for him to be influenced by a political theory e.g. Marxism or no-liberalism. The key is for politicians is to be honest about where they stand so people have the choice whether to elect them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Mully_2011

Catholicism is nothing more then an excuse for a piss up in this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IrishAm wrote: »
    Total numbers for religious groupings in 2011:

Source; Census 2011.

50 thousand mohammedans? That's a phenomenal jump :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

That's wonderful to know.

Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

robp wrote: »
    Often this claim comes up with regard to politician's personal beliefs. Do you consider yourself influenced atheism/agnosticism/ or a religion? The only true answer would be yes. In the same way a belief system will inevitably influence adherents. Its impossible to separate people from their beliefs whether it is Atheism or Judaism. I support separation of church and state (as it is in this country!) but some people have unrealistic ideas about what that entails.

In sum it is no more wrong for a politician to be influenced by his beliefs then it is for him to be influenced by a political theory e.g. Marxism or no-liberalism. The key is for politicians is to be honest about where they stand so people have the choice whether to elect them or not.
    Upbringing is going to be a huge influence on a person sure but the fact is we hire politicians to do a job, not impose their believes on people. Like any job you take the best course of action, not take a course of action that falls into line with your believes.

I think it is possible to separate your believes from the rest of your life. I think capitalism is a complete waste of time but I still play the game. I consistently go against what I believe to be right so that I can get the job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Cue David Quinn saying the poll results don't actually mean what they mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Doctors manage to compartmentalise enough so that their own spiritual beliefs don't influence how they practice medicine. They'd be struck off the register if they were found to be that unprofessional. I don't see why politicians can't be the same.

Besides, I wasn't really making the point that politicians shouldn't allow their faiths to show, rather they shouldn't allow public opinion on religion to influence the direction of policies etc. For example, just because a majority of people have no problem with the church's funding of schools; doesn't mean that the state should be allowing more denominational schools to be built.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I don't believe in the Catholic Church, but I believe in life after death and some type of spirit force. Otherwards I'm pretty Atheist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Perhaps the answer lies within the question. As Ireland grew more prosperous religion wasn't something they thought much about, and if they did they were less likely to feel bad about their lack of faith. Regarding poorer countries being more religious, I think faith and hope are tightly bound on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Stinicker wrote: »
    I don't believe in the Catholic Church, but I believe in life after death and some type of spirit force. Otherwards I'm pretty Atheist

That's pretty screwed up. The Catholic Church definitely exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Stinicker wrote: »

But that's not allowed! Get off that damned fence!

Either you're a braindead, mass-murdering sheep who is allergic to reality.
    Or you're an uncouth, angst-ridden, morally reprehensible, nihilistic goober.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Dave! wrote: »
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/survey-claims-many-irish-people-are-questioning-faith-562085.html

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/ireland-drops-in-religious-countries-survey/

Interesting!

Would like to know more about the details of this survey, but it seems to be only reported on 3 news sites at the moment.

Good news, let's get working on the other half now.

You forgot to add "I go to mass every Sunday to be seen, yet act in every way contrary to the teachings of Christ during my weekly musings and ramblings with everyday ordinary people when I'm not under the spotlight of the priest or fellow mass-goers".

Knex. wrote: »
    It's like in Terry Pratchett novels, the atheists are too afraid to say that they're atheist in case the get smited by the Gods.

It's often nothing to do with been smited the gods, and more to do with what Mary and Joe down the road will think, that a lot of people never let their true feelings on the matter be known publicly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Zoria wrote: »
    Perhaps the answer lies within the question. As Ireland grew more prosperous religion wasn't something they thought much about, and if they did they were less likely to feel bad about their lack of faith. Regarding poorer countries being more religious, I think faith and hope are tightly bound on that one.

Your argument depends on whether or not we equate 'being religious' with 'believing in the existence of a God'.

Your theory is possibly the cause. I'd wager that it has more to with the improvement in education that is a by-product of our prosperity.

The Dark Ages? That mythical perception of a period of history that only now survives in the endless exaggeration in Internet forums? I am completely digressing but I'm just tired of history being abused.

Mythical? You are aware that the church tortured "unbelievers", and condemned women as witches to be burnt at the stake for having believes the church disapproved of. Attempt to casually disregard the history of the church and treatment of those non-adherents all you like, but historical fact and documentation of torture and killings speak for themselves, more-so than any contemporary internet ramblings ever could. And it's important not to forget that the church today is a lot less powerless than in centuries past. I honestly wouldn't put it past someone with the frame of mind ofPope Benedict XVI to burn witches and persecute unbelievers, providing he had the power to do so, without the force of the modern state and national laws, born through the enlightenment preventing him from doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

And the half that are'nt religious might spend a while watching Dr. Raymond Moody's vids. on u tube .There is stronger stuff on the net ....

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Stompbox wrote: »
    I'd wager that it has more to with the improvement in education that is a by-product of our prosperity.
    I agree with both in fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

The benefits of giving grants for 3rd level education:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Catholics Jews Moslems atheists sure aren't we all Christians anyway.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Colmustard wrote: »
    Catholics Jews Moslems atheists sure aren't we all Christians anyway.

A Minestrone of everything most of them .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Ill be shot for this, I consider myself Catholic and religious. I havent been to mass in years. I stopped going for personal reasons but I am planning on going again in the near future.

Here's where I sound crazy (and even crazier for knowing it sounds crazy)....

But no matter what life throws at me, I automatically jump to religion. Sh*t hits the fan and I find myself praying. It really does get me through hard times.

You can tell me it would have happened anyway, and I dont believe in any of that horse crap on psychics and the other world etc, but I genuinely believe in God.

*nutcase*

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭amadain17

"I dont believe in any of that horse crap on psychics and the other world etc, but I genuinely believe in God"

Do you mind me asking why you believe that a god exists? There is as much evidence for the existence of god as there is for leprechauns. The old testament part of the bible has been shown incorrect (no global flood, no garden of eden, languages did not evolve from a tower building tribe). As for the new testament - nobody who ever met jesus wrote anything down (you think miracle workers would merit a few words from one of their contemporaries). The earliest gospel written was at least 20 years after the alleged death of Jesus and was most probably written in 70ad (~40 years after the alleged death). The Romans, a military power, saw no advantage in a person who could cure wounded, resurrect dead soldiers and feed armies with no more than a few loaves and fishes. The new testament gospels differ in accounts (all 4 resurrection stories are different) and besides resurrection was commonplace (lazarus resurrected and not one extra-biblical account of this was ever found). The Romans had historians throughout the empire and we have many accounts of different events in the empire coming from roman contemporaries of Jesus but not one of them even put 2 words together about this miracle worker. The entire christian religion is built on a foundation of sand. Knowing all this (check it out) why would you believe in the existence of god?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

dttq wrote: »
    Mythical? You are aware that the church tortured "unbelievers", and condemned women as witches to be burnt at the stake for having believes the church disapproved of. Attempt to casually disregard the history of the church and treatment of those non-adherents all you like, but historical fact and documentation of torture and killings speak for themselves, more-so than any contemporary internet ramblings ever could. And it's important not to forget that the church today is a lot less powerless than in centuries past. I honestly wouldn't put it past someone with the frame of mind ofPope Benedict XVI to burn witches and persecute unbelievers, providing he had the power to do so, without the force of the modern state and national laws, born through the enlightenment preventing him from doing so.

Vast majority of witch burning was Protestant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

dttq wrote: »
    It's a common miss-conception it was just the church doing the above, when it was actually the Church and State, the two were inseparable at the time and anti-church was very much anti-state judging by the zeitgeist of the age.
    As Duggys Housemate says above it went much further than just the RCC, those involved in The Salem Witch Trials for example were hardly in the thrall of the Vatican.
    I personally have no fondness for religion, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Religious people p1ss me off, but atheists p1ss me off even more. I would regard myself as a non-believer but I never evangelised that. I really don't care about peoples beliefs or non-beliefs as long as they shut up about it and don't interfere with my life.

It's a common miss-conception it was just the church doing the above, when it was actually the Church and State, the two were inseparable at the time and anti-church was very much anti-state judging by the zeitgeist of the age.
    As Duggys Housemate says above it went much further than just the RCC, those involved in The Salem Witch Trials for example were hardly in the thrall of the Vatican.
    I personally have no fondness for religion, but I just thought I'd mention it.

Actually it is generally wrong. The first Roman Catholic encyclopical on witches is in the 15th century, around the time of the reformation and when the church is in decline in it's power. There were hundreds of laws allowing the State, or local Sherriffs to kill people, but the inquisition never ran in the UK, or Ireland.

People also over-estimate the power of the Church, the Barons and Kings were more powerful, of course. English Kings often picked their own Bishops during the Catholic era; and most wars were for materialistic reasons - the wars of the history cycle in shakespeare are not religious for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭amadain17

Colmustard wrote: »
    Religious people p1ss me off, but atheists p1ss me off even more. I would regard myself as a non-believer but I never evangelised that. I really don't care about peoples beliefs or non-beliefs as long as they shut up about it and don't interfere with my life.

In Ireland we have a blasphamy law. That interferes with peoples lives. In this country the schools are predominantly religious teaching fairytales as true to young minds. That affects future generations. The church weighs in on every referendum affecting the laws of the state and everybody in it. If you don't care then why would you comment in a thread such as this. A lot of people in this thread do actually care

amadain17 wrote: »
    In Ireland we have a blasphamy law. That interferes with peoples lives. In this country the schools are predominantly religious teaching fairytales as true to young minds. That affects future generations. The church weighs in on every referendum affecting the laws of the state and everybody in it. If you don't care then why would you comment in a thread such as this. A lot of people in this thread do actually care

The blasphemy law doesn't ever seem to be used. Unlike the UK we have laws on the books which are not really prosecuted - the most recent trial I can think about re indecency was in London. As in yesterday. And it was Britain which persecuted both Wilde and Turning.

As for education, the Catholic education system has not convinced 50% of the population. Thats because, as we all know, the Catholic education system is not really religious.

amadain17 wrote: »

A typical atheist view, this is what I am talking about. I make a point as to my feelings and I commit a sin against the church of atheism. Forgive me.

x sorry wrong thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement