Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Tenses

• 07-08-2012 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

do you need to know the compound tenses in french for leaving cert?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

What do you mean? I just looked them up there and there's a pretty long list (but I've never referred to them as compound tenses). From the list I'm looking at there's some you'd need to know like passé composé but theres others like the subjunctive past that you don't need to know, but the more the better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 D.J. Shore

hmm well that's what they're called in the back of my textbook ... Pluperfect e.g. (I had been: J'avais été) , future perfect (I will have been: J'aurai été) and conditional perfect (I would have been: J'aurais été)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Oh just found a definition, they're when there's a second part to it like je vais aller as opposed to j'irai :P

I knew the pluperfect and conditional perfect (we called it the conditional past though? Maybe its the same thing haha), but not the future perfect, but I would have understood it in a comprehension, so I don't think it matters a whole lot.

It's definitely good to know them and they're not overly complicated (same as in English really and it's just combining tenses it seems), so if I were you I'd learn them, you can never know too much French. :P

Advertisement