Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17,318 people locked up

• 07-08-2012 4:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0807/prison-2011.html

A total of 17,318 people were committed to prison last year, the latest report from the Irish Prison Service shows.This is a 0.8% increase on the total in 2010.

The average cost of a prison space for 2011 was €65,359.

On any given day, there are around 4,500 people in custody across the State.

Some 423 committals in 2011 related to immigration issues, a decrease of 13.9% on 2010. That followed a dramatic drop of 31.% in this category in the previous year.

So there are more people being locked up yet crime is still rampant in our country,Is it the wrong people getting locked up ? or what more can be done ?

My opinion would be to have more of Community Service for the lesser crimes,example, Eight hours of work equal one day of jail. The offenders are interviewed to determine their skills and availability, then matched with jobs at local council or non profit agencies. The probation department handles enforcement and eventual referral of failed cases hack to the court for resentencing.Or something on those lines,€65,359 for one year in prison could be put to better use.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Although nearly half are less than 3 months, you can see how longer sentences cause them big problems in the numbers game. Only 4521 places and 17318 were committed last year. Given these figures there’s obviously a lot of juggling involved, who do you release early to free up some room?,
    Can’t see us having money to build/ finance new prisons anytime soon.

http://www.iprt.ie/prison-facts-2
    But it expressed concern about the increase in women being sent to prison - 200 more were sent to prison in 2011 than in 2010

Not sure about what they are saying here. Are women less prone to crime?. Should they not go to prison if found guilty?.

If we ever get around to committing all those corrupt politicians/dodgy bankers ,we will have to let hundreds out on early release.:confused:

A total of 17,318 people were committed to prison last year, the latest report from the Irish Prison Service shows.
    This is a 0.8% increase on the total in 2010.
    86.4% of those committed in 2011 were men and 13.6% were women.
    Publishing the Annual Report, Minister for Justice Alan Shatter said that the greatest challenge facing the prison service is the increasing number of prisoners being committed to custody.
    However, the minister said the latest figures compared with increases of 11.4% and 13.8% in the previous two years.
    Just under half off all committals were for periods of less than three months, up by 10%. The numbers of prisoners serving sentences of between three and five years, increased by 12.4%.
    The average cost of a prison space for 2011 was €65,359.
    On any given day, there are around 4,500 people in custody across the State.
    Nine out of ten prisoners are Irish nationals. 291 were serving life sentences and another 290 are serving sentences of more than 10 years.
    The Irish Penal Reform Trust welcomed the "levelling off" of prison numbers, given that the number of prisoners had increased by over 30% over the preceding three years.
    But it expressed concern about the increase in women being sent to prison - 200 more were sent to prison in 2011 than in 2010 - and the use of prison for fine defaulters.
    Some 423 commitals in 2011 related to immigration issues, a decrease of 13.9% on 2010. That followed a dramatic drop of 31.% in this category in the previous year.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0807/prison-2011.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The irony is that a bunch of those were for refusal to pay the regressive TV tax to keep Ryan Tubridy in jelly beans and fizzy powder.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If we ever get around to committing all those corrupt politicians/dodgy bankers ,we will have to let hundreds out on early release.:confused:

O I wouldn't worry about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

291 were serving life sentences

Should be out in twelve, so.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Ship them to Australia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

realies wrote: »
    My opinion would be to have more of Community Service for the lesser crimes,example, Eight hours of work equal one day of jail. The offenders are interviewed to determine their skills and availability, then matched with jobs at local council or non profit agencies.

that would probably cost jobs so its not really a runner imo but the non-profit agencies or charities would be a nice idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Ship them to Australia
    A lot of them are going voluntarily:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

More need to be tagged to get the cost down.
    Not sure how many are at the moment.
    There are too many things provided in prison for the criminals.
    I am all for putting them into programmes to try and help them change if they work but prison here defo doesn't work because a lot are let out go back to the norm as before and end up locked up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

And all 17,318 were from Dublin.

Duggy747 wrote: »

have they started executing in Limerick? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

How many of these jailings were for utterly victimless "crimes" I wonder?

How many of these jailings were for utterly victimless "crimes" I wonder?

no such a thing! I hear blah blah nothing wrong with not paying the tv licence...

Do you know Ryan Tubirdy has taken a fcuking paycut! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We have very low crime rates comparatively don't we?

Aren't we one of the safest countries in the world to live in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I think the most worrying statistic in this whole thing is that there weren't 17,000 people locked up. There were just under 14,000 individuals sent to jail, there's a 3,300 difference, made up of individuals who were sent to jail for a second or third, etc time in the same year.

In others words, of all of the people sent to jail last year, nearly 25% of them were sent to jail at least twice in the same year.

A damnation of our lenient sentencing IMO.

The vast majority of people in prison are there for serious offences - theft, assault, murder, drugs and sexual offences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Jesus, how many footballs is that?

you wouldnt be sayin that if you ran into somebody that hadnt paid their tv licence :rolleyes:

We have very low crime rates comparatively don't we?

Tell that to the families of the people who have lost their lives to scum on our streets.
    It doesn't seem that safe to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Duggy747 wrote: »

Just in case you were not messing ;):)

Almost a third (32.4%) of all persons committed declared Dublin as their county of residence. Cork with 12.2%, Limerick with 7% and Galway with 3.8% were the next largest counties of residence indicated.

Of those committed 11,263 were Irish Nationals (80.7%), which is an increase of 561 or 5.2% on the corresponding 2010 figure of 10,702.

Other EU nationals (excluding Irish) accounted for 1,716 (12.3%) of persons committed. Other

European nationals accounted for 181 (1.3%), African nationals for 382 (2.7%), Asian nationals for

302 (2.2%) and Central/South American nationals accounted for 84 (0.6%).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tell that to the families of the people who have lost their lives to scum on our streets.

if you really think the streets aren't safe you spend too much time inside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

FOR MOD - Merge needed with the other thread on this

I think we need to start getting these ****ers to work and get them off the gear they're on in prison. There's no real effort made to help prisoners get their lives together. I remember being told in mountjoy by a prison officer that they won't raise the perspex glass because that would make it hard for the prisoners to get gear in from visitors which would make them difficult to handle.
    Not really solving anything this way. The whole idea of prison is to reform. Even if you only got 1 in 100 turning their life around it would be worthwhile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Not sure about what they are saying here. Are women less prone to crime?. Should they not go to prison if found guilty?

Judges are less likely to jail women who have young kids.
    But I suppose you'd need to compare the sentencing of the same crime for both genders to see any bias.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

realies wrote: »
    Just in case you were not messing ;):)

Almost a third (32.4%) of all persons committed declared Dublin as their county of residence. Cork with 12.2%, Limerick with 7% and Galway with 3.8% were the next largest counties of residence indicated.

Of those committed 11,263 were Irish Nationals (80.7%), which is an increase of 561 or 5.2% on the corresponding 2010 figure of 10,702.

Other EU nationals (excluding Irish) accounted for 1,716 (12.3%) of persons committed. Other

European nationals accounted for 181 (1.3%), African nationals for 382 (2.7%), Asian nationals for

302 (2.2%) and Central/South American nationals accounted for 84 (0.6%).

10% were jailed for inconsistent formatting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

17,318 is not enough. Too many people walk from courts for violent and repeat occurrence crimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The number of committals to prison as a consequence of the non-payment of a court ordered fine during 2011 increased by 12.4% on the 2010 figure, i.e., from 6,683 in 2010 to 7,514 in 2011.

Of this, 1,300 were female while 6,214 were male. A total of 35 debtors (1 female, 34 male) were committed during the year.

ps searched to see if there was a thread already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Ireland the safest country in Europe, report says

Ireland is the least violent country in Europe, says the WHO, which compared homicide and assault rates across 27 European countries.

The Irish rate, 0.32 killings per 100,000 people, contrasted with that of Finland (1.96) and Scotland (1.75) which topped western Europe's violence blacklist.

Malta, with a rate of 0.48, was almost as peaceful as Ireland.

The WHO figures, being released at the Milestones 2007 conference this week, show that Ireland's homicide and assault rates have dropped sharply.

This is despite a study released earlier this year showing Dublin's murder rate is increasing faster than that of any other European capital city.

At the last WHO conference on violence five years ago, Ireland's murder and assault rate was recorded at 1.13 per 100,000 population.

Irish rates have dropped in each subsequent year, culminating in the low of 0.32 recorded in 2005, the last year for which Europe-wide figures are available.

Source

eth0 wrote: »
    if you really think the streets aren't safe you spend too much time inside

Hope thats a joke work all around dublin including city and have people trying to start and having a go on usually a weekly basis.
    There are so many ignorant a holes out there.
    Yes I understand what you are saying some are lucky and never see or have any trouble but it is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mhigh86

seamus wrote: »
    I think the most worrying statistic in this whole thing is that there weren't 17,000 people locked up. There were just under 14,000 individuals sent to jail, there's a 3,300 difference, made up of individuals who were sent to jail for a second or third, etc time in the same year.

In others words, of all of the people sent to jail last year, nearly 25% of them were sent to jail at least twice in the same year.

A damnation of our lenient sentencing IMO.

The vast majority of people in prison are there for serious offences - theft, assault, murder, drugs and sexual offences.

I thought the 3,300 odd was people that were charged with a crime but got their sentence suspended?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

That source is five years old. I'm sure things have changed since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Sell your property now! Sell it all. I have come back from the future to warn you! Sell!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Hope thats a joke work all around dublin including city and have people trying to start and having a go on usually a weekly basis.
    There are so many ignorant a holes out there.
    Yes I understand what you are saying some are lucky and never see or have any trouble but it is there.

Never get these myself. Only the odd heroin addict who starts mumbling shoite to me but i take no notice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I'd like to see consecutive sentencing become the norm. I'd like prisoners to actually serve their time and not be given early release. I think that legal aid should be deducted from their wages/benefit payments.

There will have to be changes made to how the system operates if crime is to decline. It costs criminals nothing but their freedom at the moment. Somebody with multiple criminal offences will clearly not be deterred by that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

IrishAm wrote: »
    Should be out in twelve, so.
    Why 12, bearing in mind the average life sentence prisoner spends almost 17 years behind bars before getting temorary release, some have spent in excess of 35 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

mhigh86 wrote: »
    I thought the 3,300 odd was people that were charged with a crime but got their sentence suspended?
    The 3,300 are multiple commitals that is commitals of persons who were jailed more than once in that year.

Advertisement