Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mad Taxi Driver

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

rameire wrote: »
    eh Elephant ---- Room
    shes on the fecking phone while driving.

And not wearing a seatbelt either, me thinks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Nope

She is not wearing it,good spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Wan tew

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Idiot gets into a taxi not knowing where he's going and the driver is at fault ?

So when you get into a taxi at a foreign airport , you are expected to give the taxi driver directions by your logic, or is it just that everyone should know their way around the area you live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Wan tew wrote: »
    So when you get into a taxi at a foreign airport , you are expected to give the taxi driver directions by your logic, or is it just that everyone should know their way around the area you live in?

No by my logic when I get into a taxi at a foreign airport (or anywhere) I am expected to know where I am going. If your using a landmark to find the place then you should know where it is in relation to that landmark.

"Somewhere out by the golf course" isnt a great help when you havent a clue where to go once you get to the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

As a local, if anyone asked me for directions to John O'Boyle's Golf Range, I'd have no problems, neither would the majority of Ballina people, it's a fairly well-known and long -established facility; at the very least, she should have rung another driver with better local knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Running a business

Why no hands free kit or sat nav?

How many times was she on that phone and leaning over the steering wheel, get a hands free kit love

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

You know what I shouldnt have called the guy an idiot. He seems a bit annoying but in retrospect relying on the driver to find the place probably isnt that idiotic.

Perhaps the driver could have been less ignorant and more helpful. But I understand her frustration in trying to get someone somewhere when neither of them knew where to go.

But I think I was wrong to blank defend her and blame the passenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Jimmy did you watch the video fully. She brought him down to the par 3 on Sligo road and he said that wasn't it. Steph1 do you know where he wanted to go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Zab wrote: »
    Well, she's hardly dealing with the situation too well, and while he isn't being all that helpful he isn't getting angry. I've never been to Ballina but a very quick googling found this golf course near North Corrimla so I do feel like she should have been able to find it without getting angry with him.

Not wanting to defend her or anything, because attitude is all part n parcel of a service, but you sure that's the right course, I followed the major roads on google maps and couldn't see a single signpost giving a name let alone an arrow pointing to a golfcourse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Should have called Tommy Neary - would have dropped him to the door for a fiver! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Not wanting to defend her or anything, because attitude is all part n parcel of a service, but you sure that's the right course, I followed the major roads on google maps and couldn't see a single signpost giving a name let alone an arrow pointing to a golfcourse

Well, obviously I'm not sure, but at about 2:40 he appears to say North Corrimbla (he's not sure how to pronounce it), which is right beside the course I linked. I do agree he has the name of the course wrong, he seems to be naming it after its owner.

Well, obviously I'm not sure, but at about 2:40 he appears to say North Corrimbla (he's not sure how to pronounce it), which is right beside the course I linked. I do agree he has the name of the course wrong, he seems to be naming it after its owner.

Fair enough, but I didn't realise that a degree in mysticism was a requirement to drive a taxi, perhaps he should have found a Shaman Taxi Driver with a set of divining tools :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

If she didn't know she shouldn't have taken the fare. She's happy to talk while driving and could've easily said "look, do you know where this place is?" She'd be off to her next fares quicker and her BP would be lower. I don't see how the guy is at fault in some readers' eyes. The onus is on the driver to get them there, or to consult to locate where the destination is with her colleagues or whoever. As someone already stated, there can't be that many golf courses around. The guy sounded like he was reading the name from something and had obviously fed her this information before; she could have read it and revealed her knowledge or ignorance of the name, but she doesn't seem one for sensible approaches.

AFAIK, taxi drivers don't need to wear seatbelts. I do think, however, they have to have a handsfree of some sort and not using a phone though. Jaysus shocking driving on her. You could tell she was putting the foot down when she was getting really pished off by the speed increase of the trees going past!

Impossible to know for certain, but when he said I'll get out here I think he was happy(?) to pay her for the time wasted, or at least some of the fare. But to be met with a "shut up you" would kill off any charitable instinct in me, that's for certain. Whether she gets a rap from the law or regulator is irrelevent really; this going viral in that district is sure to dampen her custom.

Elmidena wrote: »
    If she didn't know she shouldn't have taken the fare. She's happy to talk while driving and could've easily said "look, do you know where this place is?" She'd be off to her next fares quicker and her BP would be lower. I don't see how the guy is at fault in some readers' eyes. The onus is on the driver to get them there, or to consult to locate where the destination is with her colleagues or whoever. As someone already stated, there can't be that many golf courses around. The guy sounded like he was reading the name from something and had obviously fed her this information before; she could have read it and revealed her knowledge or ignorance of the name, but she doesn't seem one for sensible approaches.

AFAIK, taxi drivers don't need to wear seatbelts. I do think, however, they have to have a handsfree of some sort and not using a phone though. Jaysus shocking driving on her. You could tell she was putting the foot down when she was getting really pished off by the speed increase of the trees going past!

Impossible to know for certain, but when he said I'll get out here I think he was happy(?) to pay her for the time wasted, or at least some of the fare. But to be met with a "shut up you" would kill off any charitable instinct in me, that's for certain. Whether she gets a rap from the law or regulator is irrelevent really; this going viral in that district is sure to dampen her custom.

At end of day we have a selective section of video which shows a mad women driver not using a hands free kit/not wearing a seat belt/having a bad day....see that in a lot of cars being driven during school time on the school runs :)

Now we come to a taxi bit, AFAIK there is one golf course and one driving range in Ballina (perhaps someone eventually will confirm this ) the driving range (is the one I suspect he was looking for ) and she does mention and suggests that the driving range is "over there" (1.53)

I also suspect from listening to the commentary that it is early morning (0.30 " there's nobody up to ask" and that the passenger was out there last night (1.29)

Also seeing as the fare is €11.50 (5.17) and one assumes that they had been driving a distance of circa 5 to 6Km one would wonder why at (5.10) the passenger wanted to get out "just here" unless he was somewhere near to his destination, after all of an early morning would YOU get out in the middle of nowhere.

Now I stress that NONE of the above gives an excuse for driving using a phone or no seat belt but there's always two sides to a story :)

If there's nobody up to ask why is her phone hopping while it's very bright outside :pac:

If there's nobody up to ask why is her phone hopping while it's very bright outside :pac:

Because people are looking for a taxi or the base is asking if she's found her way there yet, I dunno, I'm just stating what's said during the clip. Also you get bright mornings like that from very early in the summer ( well maybe not during this summer :) )

Personally I don't think it's *that* early, I took the nobody around to ask comment as more of a "middle of nowhere" rather than "unsocial hour" stance. Quite willing to be wrong though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

AFAIK, taxi drivers don't need to wear seatbelts.

They do

They were looking for an exemption as some were getting grabbed and robbed from behind by gougers

Didn't matter, they have no exemption

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Fair enough, but I didn't realise that a degree in mysticism was a requirement to drive a taxi, perhaps he should have found a Shaman Taxi Driver with a set of divining tools :)

I don't think we're on the same page here. He is going to North Corrimbla and he asked for North Corrimbla. Where does the mysticism come in to it?

• Advertisement

I don't think we're on the same page here. He is going to North Corrimbla and he asked for North Corrimbla. Where does the mysticism come in to it?

Because from the commentary it would seem they were off the Sligo Rd. AFAIK the only driving range off the Sligo Rd would be the one in North Corrimbla, the fact that she tells him "there's the driving range there!" or some such words would indicate they were in the right area, however, the statement "Doesn't look familiar" from the passenger with the lack of a correct address would throw doubt even into my mind ( and I'm pretty good! )

If it was the Ballina Golf Club then that's not off the Sligo Road but on the R294 Tubbercurry Road

Anyway non event now seeing as the video has been removed for violating YouTube's T&Cs

But as I say there are always 2 sides to any story, usually only one makes for any interesting tale

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Mothers of jaysus, does a fella getting a taxi to the wrong place really merit this much debate...?

In Ballina....Yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

any working links OP's is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

Advertisement