Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sony Ericsson Mini Pro: Stock vs Root, and Gingerbread Vs Ice Cream Sandwich

• 07-08-2012 4:49pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After a little over 3 years of trusty service from my HTC G1 (originally with Cupcake, then OTA upgraded to Donut, then rooted and upgraded to the CyanogenMod Froyo port) I've finally bought myself a new 'Droid, and opted for the
    Mini Pro
    . The hardware is lovely, exactly what I wanted - good build quality, a decent physical keyboard, and small enough to live in my pocket alongside another phone without making me look like I've got some sort of weird tumour growing out of my thigh.

The software, however...

Gingerbread is great, don't get me wrong. Sony's track record for embedding crapware into their systems continues here, with a record-contender. The worst of the lot is the load of "embedded facebook" nonsense they bundled (seriously, something like six separate apks just for FB stuff!), and a bunch of non-removable applications that run as services means they not only take up space but contribute to battery usage.

Ice Cream Sandwich is explicitly supported and being offered to me by the Sony Ericsson Software Update, but they don't offer a roll-back option, so I'm wary of upgrading without getting feedback from other folks who've either upgraded already or bought a unit with it pre-installed.

The other burning question, of course, is "do I root it?". I'm missing the freedom available on my G1, but Sony's warranty statement explicitly claims that any custom software (ie rooting) will void the warranty, and on a brand-new device I'd like to retain warranty cover if I can. I've been reading a bit about un-rooting for warranty purposes, but again I'm keen to hear from anyone who's got practical experience in this area.

Has anyone else got one of these, and if so what are you running and how do you find it?

Advertisement