Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late to the party

Options
  • 07-08-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    So I just got my first XBOX360 there last week. Got it 2nd hand off a mate. Have no games for it yet, but gonna get MW3 first, and maybe FIFA 12/13.

Its one of the old non-wireless ones, with hdmi. Have it hooked up via my laptop and an ethernet cable to get it online but wanna get an adapter so i can play online. Havent signed up to XBL gold yet.

Anyway, what sort of stuff should I be looking at getting? Any "must have" games? Should i bother with the kinect? And if so, will it even work on my xbox?

Also, do i need a credit card or can i go into a shop and buy what i need to play online?

What about accessories; play and charge kit, wireless headset etc. Do these improve the gaming experience or are they gimmicks?

Also also, I like Black Ops, hence why I'm getting MW3. Is BF3 similar/better or should I avoid it? Any other games to avoid?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm starting from the ground up here.

Thanks

PS, anyone know a good website for buying games/accessories online?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Julez

The_B_Man wrote: »
    Hi,
    So I just got my first XBOX360 there last week. Got it 2nd hand off a mate. Have no games for it yet, but gonna get MW3 first, and maybe FIFA 12/13.

I'd wait for FIFA 13 at this point. Call of Duty games are hugely popular, mainly for online play. I'm not mad on them, I enjoy Zombies on Black Ops and I play MW3 online occasionally.
    Its one of the old non-wireless ones, with hdmi. Have it hooked up via my laptop and an ethernet cable to get it online but wanna get an adapter so i can play online. Havent signed up to XBL gold yet.

Don't buy Gold directly from your xbox, have a look here, you'll find gold membership and microsoft points much cheaper here.
    Anyway, what sort of stuff should I be looking at getting? Any "must have" games? Should i bother with the kinect? And if so, will it even work on my xbox?

Kinnect will work, but I probably wouldn't bother with it. I'm Sure pople will give you a huge list of must have games, best game I've played in a while is Trials Evolution, which can be bought on the Marketplace for 1200MS points - well worth it in my opinion.
    Also, do i need a credit card or can i go into a shop and buy what i need to play online?

Look at my link above, you would be better off getting a pre-paid credit card and getting gold and MS points online.
    What about accessories; play and charge kit, wireless headset etc. Do these improve the gaming experience or are they gimmicks?

Play and charge kit is useful, and a headset is prety essential to play online. Especially if you get big into the online side. Most other accessories you won't need, they control pad keyboard and stuff would pobably be a waste unless you really intend on using it.
    Also also, I like Black Ops, hence why I'm getting MW3. Is BF3 similar/better or should I avoid it? Any other games to avoid?

Sorry for the basic questions but I'm starting from the ground up here.

Thanks

BF3 would be pretty similar, if you really like it and feel like you'd play it then I'd go for it, but your could spend more than enough time online with just one FPS.

Enjoy anyways!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As for games, I would go back and try the Halo and Gears of War series and see if you like them, you can get Halo 3 and GoW 1 for dirt cheap in Gamestop or similar.

Oh and Red Dead Redemption. You're gonna want to play Red Dead Redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

never ever give XBL your CC details ..always cheaper elsewhere. ..buy a few diff genres to begin with, to gauge what type of games you like. ..and indeed what kind of gamer you are.

Get one or two shooters,a footy game,a driving game maybe even a copy of Skyrim.

lots of gamers play a mix.,some play very few, even switch on to view Netflix all evening.

happy landings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

get The Orange Box soon as possible! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Thanks lads.

I'll defo look at that link with the cheap XBL stuff.

RE: BF3. I've played CoD online on other platforms. I actually love Black Ops on the Wii so I know I like that sort of game.
    RE: Halo. I liked the first ones on the original XBOX. Is Halo Reach the "one to get" on the 360?
    RE: FIFA. I've mates who play FIFA 12 online so I'll ask them if they're gonna upgrade to FIFA 13 and buy whichever one i can play them online.

Is the Orange Box that Half-Life box set? I played Half Life 1 for a bit and wasnt impressed with it. But that was years ago. Havent played 2 or 3.

Now that I think of it, I actually loved Burnout on the original Xbox, so might get the 360 version. I played Burnout Paradise on a mates PS3 and thought it was decent. Needed more crashes and stuff but it might be an option. I loved Need for Speed: Underground as well so I've at least a slight variation in games I like.

A friend told me to get Skyrim yesterday. I told him I loved Zelda: Ocarina of Time on the N64, but hated Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, so I'm not sure which one Skyrim is closer to. Plus, apparently theres no online element to it, which is a bit crap, especially for the time it takes to play it, and the fact I'll be paying extra for XBL and then wouldnt even be using it.

Is there any websites that do good deals on games and stuff?

I've loads of info to go on now lads!
    Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Yeah, The Orange Box is Half-Life 2 and the 2 add-on stories, plus Portal which is amazing and Team Fortress which I've never played but is supposed to be good.

Like you I played Half Life 1 and found it quite dull, take the plunge and try Half-Life 2 (give it a good chance) and it's one of the most rewarding and involving games I've ever played.

Plus, even if you still didn't like Half Life, Portal is worth it on it's own, amazing game

i'll give it a look if i can get it cheap enough somewhere.

Incidentally, is there a site that I can get cheap games and accessories, instead of using the usual adverts/eBay etc?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

RE: Halo. I liked the first ones on the original XBOX. Is Halo Reach the "one to get" on the 360?

I bought a 360 in January for the sole purpose of getting back into the Halo franchise. :p

Reach is graphically more impressive than Halo 3 but it's a little too easy to complete.

I'd also second the recommendation of Red Dead Redemption btw. As I said - I bought the 360 essentially to play Halo again, but RDR is what made the purchase feel really worthwhile. My new all time fave game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

If you loved Burnout on last gen, you will love Need For Speed:Hot Pursuit, its made by the same guys.

I'm such a dope. I bought a wireless adapter for this off adverts, forgetting I had bid on one on eBay too. Ended up winning and now i've 2 of the bloody yokes!

Anyway, was playin MW3 online there. Still prefer Black ops. Is there a thread around here for CoD games and stuff? I saw the BF3 one alright. I'll have to look for a FIFA one too when I get it.

Thanks again lads.

PS, I got the 12+2 month Gold subscription dirt cheap, thanks to the link provided above! Delighted with that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

IMO avoid MW3, Black ops is much better, or even get Battlefield 3 instead. Graphics and physics are insane, plus you can drive vehicles and fighter jets.

Wait for fifa 13, its out in about a month or so, and 3/4 of all fifa players will immediately jump to fifa 13 and leave 12.

Halo reach is immense online. Very tactical at times and lots of maps and players still playing it.

Halo combat evolved remastered is also a good shout, as it can be got for a tenner online now new, and comes with loads of maps for Reach also.

Kinect was a flop IMO, with very few good games being made soley for it now after the initial novelty. Avoid.

Other games to check out:

Dead Space 2. Futuristic survival horror. Super game.

NFS Hot Pursuit. Top driving game, lots of fun with mates.

Forza 3/4 if you like realistic driving games.

Gears of War 3. Love the game, but its not for everyone. Rent/demo it first maybe. Very hard online for new players, as all thats left playing it now are top seasoned veterans of the game.

Fight Night champion if you like boxing.

mass Effect 3 if you like futuristic RPGs.

Deus Ex Human Rev. same as above.

Enslaved. very fun plat former, can be got for a few quid now id say.

Assassin creed series. Action adventure, very good.

Left 4 Dead 2. Get some mates on with you and you will laugh and have a shítload of fun on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Oh and Batman Arkham Asylum and city. Very good superhero games.

lol started getting artefacts all over the screen last night.
    See photos here:
    http://dingostew.com/xbox/

This is after getting a reball. A mate had actually given me the RRoD xbox for free and I only got it fixed. Managed 2 hours of MW3 thursday night, then turned it on for another session yesterday, and a few minutes in, I started getting that stuff.

Not sure if it can be reballed again or what. Not sure if i want to outlay even more cash to get a new one either. FML.

EDIT: Just brought it in the other room there and hooked it up via HDMI. Was playing MW3 single player and online. Played for about half an hour with no problems at all.
    Would it be just that I need to play it for longer, or is it possible the scart lead is dodgy, giving me these artefacts?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Would it be just that I need to play it for longer, or is it possible the scart lead is dodgy, giving me these artefacts?

I'd doubt the lenght of time would make a difference. I'd say it's most likely the cable you were using. Equally it could be the port for the cable on either the Xbox or the telly.

Assuming that you're using a component cable for the scart connection I'd give it a shot on the second telly to give you a better idea of where the problem lies.

nah i got the error there on the HDMI too.

Back to the repair shop... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Can't believe it hasn't been said yet in addition to the other greats.

Portal 2, that is all.

Advertisement