Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What if we met life on mars and we were the intelligent ones...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

CSU wrote: »
    ...there are ~500 million stars in our galaxy and best guestimates are that there are as many galaxies too - it is highly likely that there are many higher civ's out there

edit - yeak your post reads wrong - i fink you missed a comma somewhere im confuzed:(

Not million,there is an estimated 400 Billion stars in the Milky Way Galaxy and there is an estimated 400 Billion Galaxies in the Universe.

In one Galaxy alone called Andromeda,there is an estimated 1 Trillion stars.

Try and get your head around all that.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Neil de Grasse Tyson once made the observation that we are genetically only 1% different, in terms of DNA when compared to chimps. The most advanced stuff the smartest chimps can do is basic signing, and drawing a few shapes, which is the stuff that we take from out 3 year olds and stick on the fridge and call cute. If that difference of standard is brought about by 1%, it is impossible to imagine how smart an alien civilization would be if it was 30% different. "Oh, isn't that cute? Stick it on the fridge, honey! Little Billy's first String Theory proof attempt... And he's only 2!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

J
    tolosenc wrote: »
    Neil de Grasse Tyson once made the observation that we are genetically only 1% different, in terms of DNA when compared to chimps. The most advanced stuff the smartest chimps can do is basic signing, and drawing a few shapes, which is the stuff that we take from out 3 year olds and stick on the fridge and call cute. If that difference of standard is brought about by 1%, it is impossible to imagine how smart an alien civilization would be if it was 30% different. "Oh, isn't that cute? Stick it on the fridge, honey! Little Billy's first String Theory proof attempt... And he's only 2!"

And who's to say that difference would make them smarter?
    All it is is a difference and since they would be aliens, why would they be made of DNA?
    Origins of life that started on earth came from one source that everything evolved from, so technically all organisms have some genetic similarities in one form or another, between massive and minuscule amounts.
    Because of that, how could you ever say that an alien who evolved on another planet would ever share any sort of genetic similarities to have slight differences? We would be very very different with very slight similarities if not completely different genetically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Convert some to one religion and then convert the others to another religion and while they are trying to wipe each other out, rape their resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭CSU

...snip...

Basicly what you are asking is how did our brains develope? They doubled in size in aprox 2 million years. This is 10 times the rate of normal evolution and something unheard of. This is something that no scientist has a clue about. No current theorys stand up to scruttny. We were higher primates and had reached the plattoo of our evolution. Something very unique most of happened to set the scene for the unpresenedated (in any animal anywhere, ever) evolution of the brain. We dont have a clue what happened. We were just in the right place at the right time with the right tools and far enough along the evolutionary ladder (we were higher primates) to harnes whatever change happened. There is some 'strange' ideas that fit the picture but not accepted by the scientific community.

...have never thought about that nor read any papers, but would it not have been a bit odd for our brain size to gradually grow in a steady curve? That would point to there being no 'Eureka' moment in our evolution ie. discovering how to communicate and use plants/herbs as medicines thus bolstering life expectancy allowing more and more information to be passed down to siblings through language and pictures.

At the moment I see no reason why there would not be a spike in the size in any intelligent species brain size...we had to 'go eureka' at some point...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

We'd kill them, like we do with everything else that's different to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I don't think the prescence of intelligent life elsewhere in the galaxy is unlikely. I do, however, think it's unlikely that we will ever meet another civilisation. Apart from the ginormous, near insurmountable distances between various stars (and inherent difficulties in interstellar travel), there's the fact that either of us might get destroyed by some Extinction Level Event (metoer strike, supervolcano, mass plague etc...) before we get to meet the other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭MrFrisp

Colmustard wrote: »
    Liz Bonnin from "Bang goes the theory" good programme that. Chimps are smart they thought me the proper way to peel a banana

Jaesus..

Liz Bonin looks and sounds rough in that video...

Must have been early in the morning.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

MrFrisp wrote: »
    Jaesus..

Liz Bonin looks and sounds rough in that video...

Must have been early in the morning.. :D

But I still would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

I'd be very depressed to think that WE would be the intelligent ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Zoria wrote: »
    Not really, no.

Or if they had heads like Worf, which looks like a Mars Bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

from years of watching stargate, id imagine they live in underground complexes as a result of a world war that happened on the planet millenia ago.

The rover will at some point drive over the "rings" at which point it will be transported into the complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Whoever finds the other first is the most intelligent
    tolosenc wrote: »

We share approximately 60% of our dna with bananas. 30% difference could mean absolutely anything!! The odds of any alien civilisation or even basic lifeform being like anything on earth would be very slim i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

KTRIC wrote: »
    Possibly bouncing, followed by rolling, followed by rolling of the third type.

The elders tell of a young ball much like you. He bounced three meters in the air, then he bounced 1.8 meters in the air, then he bounced four meters in the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

CSU wrote: »
    As far as studying us as beings goes there is nothing they couldn't learn from the TV signals we've been beaming out into space for years...although as soon as they caught a glimpse of TV3 they'd probably piss their intergalactic pant's laughing at those earth thicko's and turn right the fcuk around in the other direction:D

And all of a sudden, Nikita Murray* proves her worth by repelling alien invaders.

*That awful one from Talafornia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I say we make burgers out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

The media seems to be all about the mars rover at the moment and the new pictures from mars are being released to the public. Its freaking amazing that they are pictures from another planet a different world. so it got me thinking what if we did happen to meet another lifeforms on another planet and we were more technology advanced , would we share our technology with them, take them to earth or what would happen???

Develop a trade alliance with them.

But regularly launch a planetwide purge, to ensure they never got technologically superior, or so they never develop long-range weaponry or space travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

Wibbs wrote: »
    Actually we have a pretty good grasp on much of our recent evolution, no odd theories required. The fact of it however is odd.

Yes we understand evolution of plants and animals and even our bodies but not our brains and consience evolution. And it has to be something 'odd' otherwise it would have happened to many animals along time ago...

Go on so. What caused our brain to develope at a rate 10 times that of everything else around us?

Dont try and tell me that 'oooo we learned how to throw stones and and to predict where they would colide with target. this is what caused brain growth and as luck would have it we have enough brain power left over to do some quantam-mechanices and send a rocket to mars.' that is laughable imo

And dont try the route where, 'oooo we learned some basic communication for hunting ect. I am not denieing that but that is what got us to the point of being higher primates. Nothing more.

...have never thought about that nor read any papers, but would it not have been a bit odd for our brain size to gradually grow in a steady curve? That would point to there being no 'Eureka' moment in our evolution ie. discovering how to communicate and use plants/herbs as medicines thus bolstering life expectancy allowing more and more information to be passed down to siblings through language and pictures.

At the moment I see no reason why there would not be a spike in the size in any intelligent species brain size...we had to 'go eureka' at some point...
    I am not saying that there was a sudden eureka moment. Just that in the space of aprox 2million years our brain size doubled. Which is unheard of.
    I see where you are coming from. Our higher primates evolution had reached a plateau. Question now has to be what caused this very unique change that we were able to harness but all the other animals were not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one," he said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

The media seems to be all about the mars rover at the moment and the new pictures from mars are being released to the public. Its freaking amazing that they are pictures from another planet a different world. so it got me thinking what if we did happen to meet another lifeforms on another planet and we were more technology advanced , would we share our technology with them, take them to earth or what would happen???

The US Army would invade and rob all their oil :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

The Daily Mail would run an article about 'A very Irish planet' and try and cram in as many stereotypes as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

I wonder would female aliens make good lovers..:confused:

Ted would you do an alien??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

We'd find out how nutritious and tasty they are. If all goes well then we'd over-breed them here for mass consumption and our planet will die a little younger.

I hope they're insanely intelligent and telepathic and wipe out half the human population. Starting with China. Sure isn't there loads of them! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

another line and its copyright

davet82 wrote: »
    another line and its copyright

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

What?

woosh!

forget about it ;)

davet82 wrote: »
    woosh!

forget about it ;)

...ok :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭tmc86

John Marston said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Well think of Aliens this way.

You land on a planet with a huge magnetic field and low gravity, notice structures in the distance and head toward them. On the way you encounter the planet's sentient life, an 80ft tall carbon-magnetite based object that looks like living rock and communicates by locally altering the planet's magnetic field and with some of their moral code based around the "purity" of one's magnetic alterations.

Though job to know what to do!

(Also, since you can't travel faster than light, the Earth you left has been gone for thousands of years.)

• Advertisement

Enkidu wrote: »

(Also, since you can't travel faster than light, the Earth you left has been gone for thousands of years.)

...bugger

Advertisement