Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bureau of Military History archive goes online

• 07-08-2012 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭

The Bureau of Military History will publish its extensive archives online this evening (Tue) - see here for more.

After years of planning by the Defence Forces, the State’s Military Archives has digitised the entire contents of the once-secret “Bureau of Military History 1913-1921” and is allowing unlimited public access on its website.

The personal recollections of hundreds of men and women who participated in the momentous events leading to the creation of the Irish State can be accessed free worldwide.

The Bureau of Military History was established by Oscar Traynor, minister for defence in 1947. The purpose was to gather first-hand accounts from virtually all the surviving figures – and many minor players – in the “history of the movement for Independence”, beginning with the formation of the Irish Volunteers in 1913 until “The Truce” with the British in July 1921. The establishment of the bureau gave the individuals involved a chance to record their own stories. Over 25 years had passed since the ending of British rule; many of those involved were growing old, and the State was anxious to record their memories before it was too late.

Witness statements were taken from, among others, members of organisations including the Irish Volunteers (subsequently the IRA), Cumann na mBan, the IRB (Irish Republican Brotherhood), Sinn Féin and the Irish Citizen Army. The project took 10 years and ended in 1957.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Is it just me or is the site down?

http://www.militaryarchives.ie/collections/online-collections/bureau-of-military-history-1913-1921

There's a link at the bottom of the page that links to the site.

http://www.bureauofmilitaryhistory.ie/

I've been trying to access it since last night but I am always led to an eircom error page. Is this the same for everyone. I was really looking forward to seeing this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Working for me. Must be Eircom. (with UPC)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 428 ✭✭wayne0308

Dogwatch wrote: »
    Working for me. Must be Eircom. (with UPC)

That's strange, I have no idea why they would block that website. I thought maybe the site was hosted on eircom servers and they were having issues. I'll check with them in their support forum so. Thanks for checking and letting me know!

Edit: Had to clear the DNS cache on my router so it wasn't an eircom problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

It was down when they went online yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Just came across this buried deep in a report in the Irish Times this weekend. So pleased that this is up and available. However, one disquieting note is that some of the testimonies of some of the most famous people seem not to be available.

I have only begun to browse through it and for example, there is no link to Ernie O'Malley's testimony. Or to that of Erskine Childers' widow.

Anyone else noticed this? Or know why such potentially important or interesting testimony is not available?

Assuming that most of the stuff is up there, thumbs up to the much maligned public sector for getting this up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Just came across this buried deep in a report in the Irish Times this weekend. So pleased that this is up and available. However, one disquieting note is that some of the testimonies of some of the most famous people seem not to be available.

I have only begun to browse through it and for example, there is no link to Ernie O'Malley's testimony. Or to that of Erskine Childers' widow.

Anyone else noticed this? Or know why such potentially important or interesting testimony is not available?

Assuming that most of the stuff is up there, thumbs up to the much maligned public sector for getting this up and running.

Some of the above did not participate in the collection of accounts. Those on the "other side" of the civil war for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Some of the above did not participate in the collection of accounts. Those on the "other side" of the civil war for the most part.

There is an entry for both of those but no associated link. The impression is given that they DID co-operate but their testimony is not available.

Advertisement