Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit cards abroad

Options
  • 07-08-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Just wondering which is the best non cash method to use when you are abroad? I am going to Tenerife in October and I have a BOI laser card and an Ulster Bank debit card.

Are there any charges for either of the above to withdraw cash from ATM's in Tenerife? What about point of sale transactions?

I was considering getting a prepaid Mastercard from Moneybookers.com as it seems reasonable, no loading fees or monthly fees, no transaction fees, €10 a year and €1.80 per ATM withdrawal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dabouche

Hi

As far as I am aware once you're within the Eurozone there should be no additional banking charges for using your card.

However my best advice is to bring both your cards and keep them in seperate places...nothing worse than losing a bank card and being stranded on holidays!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Indeed, within the Eurozone the cost is the same as at home for both ATM and point of sale transactions.

I'd recommend a mix of using your card and a small amount of cash which you can top up via ATM withdrawals when needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Indeed, within the Eurozone the cost is the same as at home for both ATM and point of sale transactions.

I'd recommend a mix of using your card and a small amount of cash which you can top up via ATM withdrawals when needed.

Excellent to hear. So I currently have free banking on my BOI account and Ulster Bank don't currently have charges, so just to confirm, using either my laser card or visa debit card for ATM withdrawals or POS purchases, would be free of charge? I was certain they would charge. Much handier, will bring a small bit of cash and then split my holiday cash between both accounts and keep one card in the safe in case other is lost/stolen.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Nope. Unless the machine you're using has a surcharge (i.e. a private one in a small shop etc..not so common in Europe however, though I have encountered them), you won't be charged anything extra

Advertisement