Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New potatoes.

Options
  • 07-08-2012 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

is there anywhere we can buy freshly dug new pot's around Dungarvan, fed up with the offerings of the supermarkets, not seen any Ballinacourtney's about. Just lovem with fresh butter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Try The Country Store. Quite near the Hospital. Closes at 6 What about Eurospar in Abbeyside. The country market will be in the square on thursday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

thanks, will not be down to Friday, but will try the shop near the hospital and we had a thought what about the market at Duckspool, I think there was a sign saying open everyday. Love a spud, guess I should grow my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brianne

Yes don't know about market times there. I've had ones from the Country Store and they were good. In fact I must say I've been getting potatoes in various shops now and they are all very good. Enjoy the humble spud!

One of the problems is that Kilkenny as a county lacks shops that sell fresh produce direct from the farm and we get rather spoilt in dungarvan.
    Being slightly older and fond of markets, spuds were sold unbagged, not that one was any the wiser as to the source.
    Supermarket staff tend not to treat the humble spud with any reverence, it is quite a delicate product, and one where not too many people care as to the variety.
    Rooster's seem to be the mainstay or British queens, late rooster's I cannot abide when they go black, so we like to make the most of Dungarvan produce or Wexford from the roadside.
    Some of the supermarket offerings lack any taste, especially so called baby potatoes.
    Intend to grow my own next year, variety?
    Take care an enjoy the "Humble spud"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

what about the market at Duckspool, I think there was a sign saying open everyday. .

Duckspool market is just on Sundays.

Country Store will sort you out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The Fruit and Veg stall near the Duckspool turn off at Coolagh, any day,
    The Market at Duckspool, on Sunday's,
    The Country Store, any time,
    Lynch's Fruit and Veg by the bus stop, any time, (although closing soon I hear)
    Farmer's market in the square, Thursday mornings,
    Flower and Veg seller in the square, on Fridays,

Absolutely no shortage of Fresh Fruit and Veg at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Tangled

noby wrote: »
    The farm shop there, which sells Ballinacourty produce, is open every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Tangled wrote: »
    noby wrote: »
    The farm shop there, which sells Ballinacourty produce, is open every day.

Didn't realise that, thanks.

Great Duckspool open every day, fantastic Ballinacorty potatoes, free range eggs and a vast selection of fruit and veg, if you are on the abbeyside or Ballinroad side of town it is worth a trip, thanks everyone for assistance
    Foxy

Advertisement