Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein in a huff over new signs

1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

MagicSean wrote: »
    Perfectly coherent. I reposted the questions for you and you still refused to answer them.

They're silly questions and it has been pointed out to you by more than one person that a sign saying 'Welcome to NI' does not in any way educate people in the differences of laws on either side of the border.

As for justifying murder I'd recommend you to be careful with your statements because you are not anonymous on the internet and you are skirting dangerously close to libelling me.

I've reported your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The border communities should have been consulted before the signs were erected.

No they shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

They're silly questions and it has been pointed out to you by more than one person that a sign saying 'Welcome to NI' does not in any way educate people in the differences of laws on either side of the border.

As for justifying murder I'd recommend you to be careful with your statements because you are not anonymous on the internet and you are skirting dangerously close to libelling me.

I've reported your post.

That's just pathetic. But if that's the game you want to play that's fine. Argue yourself into a corner and then try and silence those against you and claim victory. A common party tactic.

Tell you what, give me one good reason why you felt the need to highlight the
    PSNI as a non-civilian police force and I will gladly withdraw my comment.

No it's not. It is relevant as I feel a lack of wiliingness to prosecute means an acceptance of [admittely mild] dissident criminal activity.

Let's get one thing straight. I do not support the dissidents. Uprooting signs can hardly be labelled 'dissident activity' especially when the community was not consulted with on them.
    Can you please answer it.I asked the question first, so ......, I also want to be given an answer to the "if the shoe was on the other foot" question. Then I shall answer your question.

I don't remember you directly asking me any question tbh. Also my point still stands. If the community had been consulted we might not have had people within it deciding to uproot the signs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Its not very often I agree with SF, but on this occasion I'm inclined to: The aggressive font on the Signs "Welcome to NORTHERN IRELAND"... isn't in keeping with promoting a harmonious existence within the community.

The signs aren't that informative and aren't that welcoming... and should be removed.

• Advertisement

That's just pathetic. But if that's the game you want to play that's fine. Argue yourself into a corner and then try and silence those against you and claim victory. A common party tactic.

Claim victory? This is a discussion not a zero sum game - pathetic indeed.
    Tell you what, give me one good reason why you felt the need to highlight the PSNI as a non-civilian police force and I will gladly withdraw my comment.

You may as well withdraw it now because I didn't make that claim. You're fighting phantoms.

No they shouldn't.

Great contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

No they shouldn't.

+1 there. The council should have been consulted, thats what they are there for- to decide local matters. If the population were to be directly consulted on every stick and signpost erected on the side of the road, sure you’d never get anything done.@Chuck Stone: I did not suggest you supported dissiedents. However, pety vandalism IS the think edge of the wedge. It is a crime committed due to the perps opposition to the state of NI. As such, in my view, it is associated with dissident activity, albeit at the very minor end of the scale.And you have still not answered my questions. By your silence I assume you condone such activity. Is that right?

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Let's get one thing straight. I do not support the dissidents. Uprooting signs can hardly be labelled 'dissident activity' especially when the community was not consulted with on them.

I don't remember you directly asking me any question tbh. Also my point still stands. If the community had been consulted we might not have had people within it deciding to uproot the signs.
    Why does the community need consulted to erect says that welcome people to the country that they live in?

The community does not need consulted on every minor thing. This is why politicians are elected. To suggest they should be consulted for something as trivial as this is absolutely laughable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Claim victory? This is a discussion not a zero sum game - pathetic indeed.

You may as well withdraw it now because I didn't make that claim. You're fighting phantoms.

This is what you said. The intention and meaning of your post was clear.
    Communities agree to be policed. When the police become the tool of one side then they aren't a civilian police force any more.
    The communities who populate the border areas (and who happen to be predominately non-Unionist in heritage) should have been consulted on the issue and an agreement reached or the trolling prevented plan shelved.
    As for forcing the community to accept them? Yep, just keep banging your head against that wall. If the people of the border have proved one thing it's that they will not be pushed around. The British army had to travel in and out of there by helicopter at one stage FFS do people really think a few CCTV cameras are going to stop them from turning the signs into scrap?
    Slow learners.

Translation - If they don't take the signs down they'll be taken down by force and fear and intimidation will keep them down.

Try and deny that this is what your post meant. Please. And when I called you on it you responded with these personal attacks.
    Sorry, but you stopped being coherent in this thread a few pages back.
    Indeed.

A person utterly obsessed with enforcing 'law and order' regardless of how patently stupid/immoral/abusive those laws are.

When that didn't work you threatened legal action and reported my posts.

• Advertisement

Communities agree to be policed. When the police become the tool of one side then they aren't a civilian police force any more.

The communities who populate the border areas (and who happen to be predominately non-Unionist in heritage) should have been consulted on the issue and an agreement reached or the trolling prevented plan shelved.

As for forcing the community to accept them? Yep, just keep banging your head against that wall. If the people of the border have proved one thing it's that they will not be pushed around. The British army had to travel in and out of there by helicopter at one stage FFS do people really think a few CCTV cameras are going to stop them from turning the signs into scrap?

Slow learners.

So what you're accusing border communities of here is only accepting law and order when it suits them?

Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

And all parties agreed on a clear protocol for the ending of the state when the time is right. That was the compromise. It was agreed in the short term in exchange for a long term agreement from the other side.

True, I er, agree. Unfortunately, according to the of likes of Cu and Chuck and others, all of this is rather pointless.

The nationalists (close to 100% of them) who agreed to accept for now, the state of Northern Ireland didn’t really agree because they were really only endorsing the bits of GFA that they liked. And they sure do not like partition.

So of course, not being hypocrites, the lads certainly won’t have any objections to the unionists (about 50%) who agreed to accept a united Ireland when a majority in NI want it, reneging on this as the unionists weren’t too gone on that part of GFA? :pac:

If only people would agree to the agreements that they agreed with! :cool:

awec wrote: »
    The community does not need consulted on every minor thing. This is why politicians are elected. To suggest they should be consulted for something as trivial as this is absolutely laughable.

Trivial to you perhaps but not trivial to everyone. If you think it's trivial why are you defending their erection?

Rather contradictory don't you think?

Aslo, maybe you stopped following the thread here.
    The signs are provocative. They'd have done better to leave well alone. They've been systematically de-politicising the border now since the PP by removing check points, watch towers, army barracks and by rebuilding roads and bridges that were blocked off with boulders or demolished.

Whoever decided to put up the signs is either deliberately trying to provoke a reaction or hasn't a clue about political sensitivities on the ground.

Just goes to show here that it does'nt take much of a scratch to the surface before the vile truth is revealed about republicanism - only accepting law and order where it suits them and crying the discrimination card where it doesn't suit their wretched dogma. Seen here in all it's glory by the implied condoning of acts of vandalism on public property.
    also the signs are not provocative. They have simple text saying welcome to NI. I would accept that arguement if they were emblasoned with a Union flag or the siloette of an AK 47 brandishing paramilitary.

Trivial to you perhaps but not trivial to everyone. If you think it's trivial why are you defending their erection?

Rather contradictory don't you think?

Aslo, maybe you stopped following the thread here.
    Not even slightly. Do you know what contradictory means?

So signs were put up welcoming people into the country. So what. It's a non-issue. No different to signs being put up on the borders of other countries, or even the inter-county signs in Ireland.

Some people need to grow up. Provocative? Absolute nonsense.

Translation - If they don't take the signs down they'll be taken down by force and fear and intimidation will keep them down.

I simply stated the realities of what is and will continue to happen. Have you ever driven into Derry city? Ever seen the Londonderry signs?
    Try and deny that this is what your post meant. Please. And when I called you on it you responded with these personal attacks.

I was talking about the past. Thank goodness it's nothing like that any more. I have said before I lend my tacit approval to the PSNI and hoep to see it become a fully functioning civilian police force. Saying that it's inevitable that the signs will be torn down does not negate it.

The PSNI is not perfect but it's a damn sight more acceptable that the RUC and other unionist militias that came before it. Also, I have never once ever justified the murder of innocent people in any post I've ever made.
    When that didn't work you threatened legal action and reported my posts.

What can I say. I value my reputation and don't like people suggesting that I'd justify the murder of any innocent person. If you look in the politics section you will see that I have condemned the murder of people by the IRA (among others) on numerous occasions.

I make no apologies for identifying with the community from where I come which is the working class nationalist community who bore the brunt of state violence in the six counties, nor will I ever.

awec wrote: »
    So signs were put up welcoming people into the country.

If you really believe that then you're more naive than I thought. These are not shiney happy 'welcome to NI' signs they are territory marking and functionally useless, hence the reason people are questioning the reason for them being erected.

There's absolutely no reason to consult any communities. Its just a sign and is no reason to spark off special snowflake syndrome.
    If you really believe that then you're more naive than I thought. These are not shiney happy 'welcome to NI' signs they are territory marking and functionally useless, hence the reason people are questioning the reason for them being erected.

Like the ones you see when you enter any other county in Ireland :/

I pity you if that's what you really think. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

rn wrote: »
    Its not very often I agree with SF, but on this occasion I'm inclined to: The aggressive font on the Signs "Welcome to NORTHERN IRELAND"... isn't in keeping with promoting a harmonious existence within the community.

The signs aren't that informative and aren't that welcoming... and should be removed.

Ah - come on now. The capitalisation of the name is not uncommon:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/geophotos/02/41/71/2417194_1fb0a781.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

...defending their erection....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Like the ones you see when you enter any other county in Ireland :/

That's the point they are not like signs anywhere else in Ireland,And the Unionist council who put them up knew exactly what they were doing,The six counties/NI/ulster is still far from being a normal place as anyone who lives or goes there will tell you.

realies wrote: »
    That's the point they are not like signs anywhere else in Ireland,And the Unionist council who put them up knew exactly what they were doing,The six counties/NI/ulster is still far from being a normal place as anyone who lives or goes there will tell you.
    I am from there.

It's a normal place.

Admittedly there are some that wish it weren't, but it is.

Are they not?

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3390/4554297241_fa160941f4_z.jpg

http://homepage.eircom.net/~sligochapter/welcome%20to%20sligo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

ardmacha wrote: »
    it is bad enough being at the butt end of the British Empire without signs gloating about the fact.

:confused::confused:. It is entering a new country. I bet you see same France into Germany or Germany into Poland

@Chuck Stone: The PSNI IS a civilian force, stop insinuating that it isn't. Listen, nobody ever accusied you of condoning murders so there is no need to be playing the victim and threatening people with legal action.Your final paragraph about Nationalists bearing the brunt of violece: it is as if you wish to believe that all Nationalists are angels that wouldn;t hurt anyone. I can tell you straight awway that [some] Nationalists were responsible for a fair share of murder and bloodshed in NI. Once could also make the arguement that Nationalism itself is the root cause of misery that has befallen this island over the past 110 or so years.
    I;m sick to the teeth of the double standards in this country and equally sick of Republican sympathisers preaching from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

I am not talking about the signs themselfs :rolleyes: jesus.Do you know anything that went on there the last 30/40 years.

I am not talking about the signs themselfs :rolleyes: jesus.Do you know anything that went on there the last 30/40 years.

Ah, rolleyes. That showed me my ignorance. Well done.

You just said "That's the point they are not like signs anywhere else in Ireland" They are exactly like the signs elsewhere in Ireland. This is a none issue for any reasonable person.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lancashire/7347874120/
    http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/45372534.jpg

^^ There were already similar signs up in Belfast btw.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I;m sick to the teeth of the double standards in this country and equally sick of Republican sympathisers preaching from behind the anonymity of a keyboard.

Is not Orangism British nationalism? Or are you placing the entire blame for the troubled history of this island squarely on those of the Irish nationalist persuasion?

• Advertisement

@Chuck Stone: The PSNI IS a civilian force, stop insinuating that it isn't.

It's well on it's way I never said that it wasn't. There are still some issues but they are minor compared to the vipers nest that the RUC was.
    Your final paragraph about Nationalists bearing the brunt of violece: it is as if you wish to believe that all Nationalists are angels that wouldn;t hurt anyone.

The troubles kicked off because of lack of respect for civil and poltical rights by unionists - that's undeniable. Nationalsm and republicanism followed and physical force republicanism subsequent to that.

karma_ wrote: »
    Is not Orangism British nationalism? Or are you placing the entire blame for the troubled history of this island squarely on those of the Irish nationalist persuasion?

No its not. Only in NI and some in Scotland. Virtually absent from England & Wales. It is a tribute to William of Orange, not British nationalism. Go read up on it and educate yourself. Having said that, there are a fair amount of flutes [and flutes as in instruments] in that organisation too. However the Catholic pastime of constantly protraying them as "the Bogey Man" is not justifyable either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

No its not. Only in NI and some in Scotland. Virtually absent from England & Wales. It is a tribute to William of Orange, not British nationalism. Go read up on it and educate yourself. Having said that, there are a fair amount of flutes [and flutes as in instruments] in that organisation too. However the Catholic pastime of constantly protraying them as "the Bogey Man" is not justifyable either.

I think it's yourself who needs to educate yourself on it mate. Takes two to tango and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

"ignoring law and order"

Lol.

Its a bloody sign not as if the Armagh Sniper is coming out of retirement or they are running around the place looting.

Besides, when "law and order" has been an enemy for generations, a tool used to make you a second class citizen in your own country and as you've resisted it taking down a sign is hardly a big deal. These "law and order" junkies must lose their heads and frantically ring the cops if someone breaks a traffic light or drops a wrapper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

"ignoring law and order"

Lol.

Its a bloody sign not as if the Armagh Sniper is coming out of retirement or they are running around the place looting.

Besides, when "law and order" has been an enemy for generations, a tool used to make you a second class citizen in your own country and as you've resisted it taking down a sign is hardly a big deal. These "law and order" junkies must lose their heads and frantically ring the cops if someone breaks a traffic light or drops a wrapper.
    Well in all fairness and not to take away from your post, but it is a very slippery slope that could easily lead to horrific scenes such as this around the country.

'I support the efforts of people to escape East Berlin but they shouldn't have caused criminal damage to that barbed wire' :mad:

:pac:

• Advertisement

'I support the efforts of people to escape East Berlin but they shouldn't have caused criminal damage to that barbed wire' :mad:

:pac:

Hmm - by that logic - you reckon that it's rather more important to take offence at the boundaries of your nation/state/jurisdiction/territory being signposted with it's agreed name, than it is to contain the urge to nick/vandalise said signage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Maybe we should have a "Welcome to County Armagh" sign then instead of the clearly provocative Northern Ireland ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

lugha wrote: »
    True, I er, agree. Unfortunately, according to the of likes of Cu and Chuck and others, all of this is rather pointless.

The nationalists (close to 100% of them) who agreed to accept for now, the state of Northern Ireland didn’t really agree because they were really only endorsing the bits of GFA that they liked. And they sure do not like partition.

So of course, not being hypocrites, the lads certainly won’t have any objections to the unionists (about 50%) who agreed to accept a united Ireland when a majority in NI want it, reneging on this as the unionists weren’t too gone on that part of GFA? :pac:

Actually many unionists will vote against unity in the referenda. Agreeing to the GFA doesn't take away that right.

No need for “Welcome to Northern Ireland” signs. You know you’ve crossed the border by the standard of literacy. Here’s a billboard spotted yesterday just over the border, south of Newry on the Dublin Road (B113):
    http://i47.tinypic.com/152fa55.jpg[/IMG]
    Yes, you read it correctly. It does say SREEET. And those letters are about 20cm in height.
    What kind of signwriter could miss that??? :):D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Pedantic point but under EU law it is legal currency even in the streling area and has to be accepted.

Wrong. The Euro dosen't have to be accepted.

• Advertisement

getzls wrote: »
    Wrong. The Euro dosen't have to be accepted.

Nor do Northern Irish notes tbh - they're not actually legal tender outside NI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

lugha wrote: »

I am going to ask you one more time, now "put up or shut up".
    What part of the GFA do I not agree with or accept??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    Nor do Northern Irish notes tbh - they're not actually legal tender outside NI.

Bollox.
    Northern Ireland banknotes Banknotes issued by Northern Ireland banks have the same legal status as Scottish banknotes in that they are promissory notes issued in pounds sterling and may be used for cash transactions anywhere in the United Kingdom. However, they are rarely seen outside Northern Ireland and in England and Wales, although they could be accepted by any store, are often not accepted without some explanation. [18] As with Scottish notes, clearing banks and building societies will accept them. Northern Ireland sterling banknotes should not be confused with the Irish pound (or Punt), the former currency of the Republic of Ireland, which was replaced by the euro in 1999.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Bollox.

Not bollox at all.
    Are Scottish & Northern Ireland notes "legal tender"?
    In short ‘No’ these notes are not "legal tender"; furthermore, Bank of England notes are only legal tender in England and Wales. Legal tender has, however, a very narrow technical meaning in relation to the settlement of debt. If a debtor pays in legal tender the exact amount he/she owes under the terms of a contract (and in accordance with its terms), or pays this amount into court, he/she has good defence in law if he/she is sued for non-payment of the debt.
    In ordinary everyday transactions, the term "legal tender" in its purest sense need not govern a note's acceptability in transactions. The acceptability of a Scottish or Northern Ireland note as a means of payment is essentially a matter for agreement between the parties involved. If both parties are in agreement, Scottish and Northern Ireland notes can be used in England and Wales. Holders of genuine Scottish and Northern Ireland notes are provided with a level of protection similar to that provided to holders of Bank of England notes. This is because the issuing banks must back their note issue using a combination of Bank of England notes, UK coin and funds in an interest bearing bank account at the Bank of England. More information on these arrangements can be found at
    http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/scottish_northernireland.aspx
    Bank of England notes are the only banknotes that are legal tender in England and Wales. Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes are not legal tender anywhere, and Jersey, Guernsey and Manx banknotes are only legal tender in their respective jurisdictions. The fact that these banknotes are not legal tender in the UK does not however mean that they are illegal under English law, and creditors and traders may accept them if they so choose. Traders may, on the other hand, choose not to accept banknotes as payment as contract law across the United Kingdom allows parties not to engage in a transaction at the point of payment if they choose not to.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banknotes_of_the_pound_sterling

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/7203378.stm

alastair wrote: »
    Not bollox at all.

Well if that is true, I've got to hand t to you.

I never not once, had any issue changing first trust, northern bank, Ulster bank, or BOI £ anywhere in the world (including USA and Australia)

I.thought I'd have trouble changing them/spending them my first time in London, but that was no problem either.

I've got to hand it to you, but i suppose your source of the bank of England would be a better one than wikipedia.

I apologise Alastair.

I never not once, had any issue changing first trust, northern bank, Ulster bank, or BOI £ anywhere in the world (including USA and Australia)

I.thought I'd have trouble changing them/spending them my first time in London, but that was no problem either.

I've got to hand it to you, but i suppose your source of the bank of England would be a better one than wikipedia.

I apologise Alastair.

No worries. I've had NI notes refused in England, and gave up bothering to bring any to England or Scotland years ago. More trouble than they're worth in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

I apologise Alastair.

Ive had Ulster Bank notes refused in Scotland

Edit.

Bank of England seen to contradict themselves here.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/localcurrencies/default.aspx

And here?

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/Pages/about/scottish_northernireland.aspx

No, sorry, i see. Authorised to issue the notes, but they do not legally need to be accepted outside the areas issued.

Learn something new everyday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

About notes. Any shop can refuse just as they can refuse a dirty fiver - because no customer will accept it from them.

All banks should take them. If you walk into any bank in England they will change them for Bank of England notes.

Advertisement