Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein in a huff over new signs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Just out of interest, what did Sinn Fein want the signs to say?

Vote McGuinness No. 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Jesus, you really are a child. You know selective quoting doesnt erase what I said and certainly doesnt change the fact that 6 of the counties are in the United Kingdom.

How is it contradictory? The rest of my post that you conveniently left out is quite clear on it. The island of Ireland is not a country. Its an island made up of Ireland and part of the UK.

I'll try again so, with the whole quote this time.

Their are 32 counties on the island of Ireland.

North or south, whichever 1 of the 32 me, you, or big Ian paisley happens to be standing in, we're still standing on the island of Ireland.

I'm not trying to rub you up the wrong way, but you can either give me a yes or a no answer.

Is someone, currently standing in a field in Fermanagh in one of the 32 counties on the island of Ireland?

Yes or no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just out of interest, what did Sinn Fein want the signs to say?

They just wanted 2 massive interlocking Armalite rifles crossing the road. Along the lines of this 800pxswordsofqadisiyah.jpg but with a bing plinth in the middle that Gerry Adams can stand on for 4 hours every 2nd saturday.

Ghandee wrote: »

North or south, whichever 1 of the 32 me, you, or big Ian paisley happens to be standing in, we're still standing on the island of Ireland.

I'm not trying to rub you up the wrong way, but you can either give me a yes or a no answer.

Is someone, currently standing in a field in Fermanagh in one of the 32 counties on the island of Ireland?

Yes or no?

Look , just spit out whatever it is you are looking for me to say. The end result will still be that Northern Ireland will be in the UK and using Sterlign as their currency.

You seem to cream yourself at me sayign that the Island of Ireland has 32 counties. So fill your boots. Just be sure to delete the part where I say how 6 of them are in the United Kingdom when you gleefully quote me.

Jesus, you really are a child. You know selective quoting doesnt erase what I said and certainly doesnt change the fact that 6 of the counties are in the United kingdom.
    Look, just stick on your tinfoil hat and lock yourslef in you house so the evil Brits cant get you.

Does not compute.

When faced with a valid argument resort to name calling, very grown up.

Does not compute.

When faced with a valid argument resort to name calling, very grown up.

Theres no name calling in the 2nd one. At least try to read the bits you quote. If anything, the post I was replyign to callign me naive was closer to name calling. As for the first one? Your post was childish.

There is no valid arguement to the fact that Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom . thats the beauty of facts.

Look , just spit out whatever it is you are looking for me to say. The end result will still be that Northern Ireland will be in the UK and using Sterlign as their currency.

I asked yes or no.

Your refusing to say yes, though you you know it to be true.

I'm not out to win some kind of game, but i seem to stick to my beliefs regardless of what some guy on the net thinks of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

They just wanted 2 massive interlocking Armalite rifles crossing the road. Along the lines of this 800pxswordsofqadisiyah.jpg but with a bing plinth in the middle that Gerry Adams can stand on for 4 hours every 2nd saturday.

having the orangemen march past that would be a vision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I can't speak to those borders but FRA/GER, GER/AUSTRIA, FRA/SPAIN I'd imagine if the welcome to 'XXXX' signs were removed it wouldn't take long for it to hit home. Also people have sat nav and smart phones these days negating the need for lamp-post pissing in sensitive areas.

I understand there might be some confusion if you're skirting along the border but travelling into the six counties there is a considerable change in road markings, bus stops, road signs and even the fields seem to have less ditches and more wire fences.
    You've obviously never been to Donegal or Derry so.:pac:
    Even if you went so far as to check the reg of cars in driveways you still wouldn't know which side of the border you are on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Whistwillya

Everyone knows that nationalists call the 6 counties the North of Ireland and loyalists call it Northern Ireland, it's like Londonderry and Derry, so of course signs saying "welcome to Northern Ireland" are going to cause some annoyance.

Anyone on here saying they don't know how this can cause offence to anyone is just being ignorant. And you can say they're part of the UK if you want but just remember that the next time you're cheering on the Irish rugby team, or the next time Tyrone, Down or Derry are playing in an All Ireland final. People down south are great at this- choosing when they want the 6 counties to be part of Ireland and when they don't. When Rory McIllroy wins a golf tournament he's a great "Irish" sportsman but when there's any political issue the North of Ireland is separate.

Why can't the signs just welcome people into each county and if there is really such an issue with tourists not knowing where they are then they can say "Welcome to Armagh, one of the occupied 6 counties"....but no wait, this would cause offence to the loyalists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Yes or no?

They are standing within 1 of the 32 counties of Ireland, while they're also standing in 1 of the 6 counties of Northern Ireland. I don't see how this is so difficult?

I asked yes or no.

Your refusing to say yes, though you you know it to be true.

I'm not out to win some kind of game, but i seem to stick to my beliefs regardless of what some guy on the net thinks of them.

The first time I answered I even included the word yes, if you care to read back, you even quoted it. So whats the issue. The bigger question is why you think this "island of Ireland " thing is such a big plus or a victory for you.

Ireland is part of the British Isles without being in Britain, or is that some sort of ipossibility and we are actually part of Britain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

The first time I answered I even included the word yes, if you care to read back, you even quoted it. So whats the issue. The bigger question is why you think this "island of Ireland " thing is such a big plus or a victory for you.

Ireland is part of the British Isles without being in Britain, or is that some sort of ipossibility and we are actually part of Britain?

Gets the popcorn for this one :)

Everyone knows that nationalists call the 6 counties the North of Ireland and loyalists call it Northern Ireland, it's like Londonderry and Derry, so of course signs saying "welcome to Northern Ireland" are going to cause some annoyance.

Anyone on here saying they don't know how this can cause offence to anyone is just being ignorant. And you can say they're part of the UK if you want but just remember that the next time you're cheering on the Irish rugby team, or the next time Tyrone, Down or Derry are playing in an All Ireland final. People down south are great at this- choosing when they want the 6 counties to be part of Ireland and when they don't. When Rory McIllroy wins a golf tournament he's a great "Irish" sportsman but when there's any political issue the North of Ireland is separate.

Why can't the signs just welcome people into each county and if there is really such an issue with tourists not knowing where they are then they can say "Welcome to Armagh, one of the occupied 6 counties"....but no wait, this would cause offence to the loyalists

And when he throws the tri-colour onto the ground, he's a Brit.

Why can't the signs just welcome people into each county

Because its not the same as moving between Dublin and Kildare, whether you like it or not you are moving between Ireland and the UK.

and in football theres 2 different associations, 2 different leagues and 2 different national teams (one of which , funnily enough, is "northern Ireland"). Whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The only problem I have with the signs is that they should be bilingual.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

It doesnt really matter, 95% of people living beside or on the border are nationalists. The signs will be taken down, dont worry, because the main reason they arent there now is because they were destroyed very quickly anytime any arose in decades past.

And as another poster said, the border is only in name really. Its all over the place , hard to know which side of it your on, because its very rural beside it. They accept euro and sterling in most places near the border.

Anyway I dont really see what the issue even is, but as usual the trolls come out in these threads. Usual names.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    The only problem I have with the signs is that they should be bilingual.
    'Walcum ta oor wee contrae'

How's a tourist going to understand that?:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Seanchai

MagicSean wrote: »
    http://www.thejournal.ie/welcome-to-northern-ireland-sign-548794-Aug2012/

Personally I don't see the problem with informing people they are entering a different country with different laws and currency.

:rolleyes: Dream on. If the British partitioned this country into ten states rather than two states in December 1920 it wouldn't mean there were ten countries here. There's only one Ireland, no matter what British jingoists and their fellow travellers on Boards.ie would like to contend.

My family in Armagh is just as Irish as my family in Louth. No British laws can change that. Not now. Not in 1972. Not in 1920. Not in 1720. Not in 1620.

/end of.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Quite entertaining to read the comments on there :P

Here is a quote from one of them
    I am less likely to visit the north with signs like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Why not just say 'Ulster'?

Seanchai wrote: »
    There's only one Ireland, .

Your right. And theres one Northern Ireland, which is in the UK. You cant tell which is which by the laws and the currency etc.

I would ignore Mr Incognitos attempts at stirring the pot. After his verbal diarrohea towards Katie Taylors appearance yesterday, hes another to chalk off.

Perhaps if he had less posts, he would have been dealt with.

Because its not the same as moving between Dublin and Kildare, whether you like it or not you are moving between Ireland and the UK.

So, our last president wasn't even from Ireland? (she was from the UK?)

Seamus Heaney? (the great Irish poet and writer) He's from the UK is he?

Anyways, don't know why I've resorted to arguing on the net with some guy incognito, to tell me what country I'm from, i was given that right at birth.

DB10 wrote: »
    . They accept euro and sterling in most places near the border.

They accept the euro because they want us to spend our money there, dont be under any illusions of anything different. If it wasnt making them money it wouldnt be happening. Iv'e worked in shops in Dublin that accept Dollars and Sterling. It wasnt for any grand political idealism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,497 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where To wrote: »
    You've obviously never been to Donegal or Derry so.:pac:
    Even if you went so far as to check the reg of cars in driveways you still wouldn't know which side of the border you are on.
    Yellow ones in Donegal, yeah? ;)
    These could only really be erected on the Leitrim-Fermanagh (about 4 roads) and Louth-Down (1 road proposed)/Armagh (a bout 27 roads) borders.

So, our last president wasn't even from Ireland? (she was from the UK?)

Seamus Heaney? (the great Irish poet and writer) He's from the UK is he?

Anyways, don't know why I've resorted to arguing on the net with some guy incognito, to tell me what country I'm from, i was given that right at birth.
    They were given the choice by politcal decsions.

Seamus Heaney obviously agreed with my point when he moved here to be Irish and not live in th eUnited Kingdom anymore. :-)

I doubt too many people would walk around Dublin attempting to buy items with dollars.

Its not really the same, but c'est le vie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Yep welcome to the province of Ulster, One of four to be found on the Island of Ireland :)

i heard it all know :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Doesn't answer the Queston.

Step up to the plate sir.

Are president McAleese, and Seamus Heaney from the united kingdom?

A simple yes or no will do.

Man up please.

I would ignore Mr Incognitos attempts at stirring the pot. After his verbal diarrohea towards Katie Taylors appearance yesterday, hes another to chalk off.

Perhaps if he had less posts, he would have been dealt with.

The opinion I got infracted for you mean? If she wasnt Irish there wouldnt have been an eyelid batted. More misplaced nationalism.Slag the ugly foreigners all you like but dont dare question anythign about one of our own.

Victor wrote: »
    Yellow ones in Donegal, yeah? ;)
    Only visiting, of course.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Man up please.

They're from Northern Ireland. Under the GFA they can decide to be British or Irish, or both. Their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how posters all the way down in Dublin consider themselves qualified to assess whether or not such signs would be offensive to the people actually living near them.

When I drive to work each morning, I certainly don't feel like I'm travelling abroad. Unionist Politicians, however, seem to be pretty insistent that I should feel that way!

This is what could be described as "Ulsterisation" - a process of making the divide between North and South more glaringly apparent. Now ask yourself, when has widening the divide between North and South ever been a positive move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Man up please.
    YES

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Why not just say 'Ulster'?[/QUOTE

I dunno why wouldnt you put up a sign in say the tyrone-donegal border saying welcome to ulster:rolleyes:

Man up please.

What are you on about man up? It's not black and white because they were given a choice about whether they wanted to be Irish. They were born in the United Kingdom, yes. Heres some reading explaining it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

would be confusing for the paisley supporters ,, who seem to ignore Ulster has nine counties, Ulster says no, never, whatever?
    whats Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan saying no too???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Nationalists/Catholics/Republicans, on the whole, rarely refer to the six counties as Northern Ireland (see :pac:)

I guess to use the 'Northern Ireland' name, in a way, causes a psychological border between them and their southern fellow Irish that they do not accept.

/pop psych

Plenty of them say Northern Ireland.

Yes or no?

There's a difference between physical and political geography. This distinction is thought in first year geography.

Because you are not just entering a new county, you are entering a different jurisdiction. Different laws, different currency, different rules. It's not about wether you are Irish or not, it's about what country you live on.
    Seanchai wrote: »
    :rolleyes: Dream on. If the British partitioned this country into ten states rather than two states in December 1920 it wouldn't mean there were ten countries here. There's only one Ireland, no matter what British jingoists and their fellow travellers on Boards.ie would like to contend.

My family in Armagh is just as Irish as my family in Louth. No British laws can change that. Not now. Not in 1972. Not in 1920. Not in 1720. Not in 1620.

/end of.

I think you'll find it's you that is dreaming if you think there are no differences between living in the North and living in the Republic.

Ulster has 9 counties. Northern Ireland has 6.

• Advertisement

I doubt too many people would walk around Dublin attempting to buy items with dollars.

Its not really the same, but c'est le vie.
    You'd be surprised. I've done a few fares for dollars myself, lot of places here in the backarse of nowhere accept them.

Money's money at the end of the day. I'd even take roubles or rupees if I got them(probably), and like most people up here I'd bite your hand off for the queen's head.:pac:

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how posters all the way down in Dublin consider themselves qualified to assess whether or not such signs would be offensive to the people actually living near them. .

How far from the border does an opinion become invalid? Sure what happens if the Queen gives back the north? There'll be people way down in Dublin deciding all sorts about how people in the North live their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Abandon hope all ye who enter here.

MagicSean wrote: »
    Plenty of them say Northern Ireland.

Plenty is pretty subjective.

All I ever here is "up North" or "the North".

How far from the border does an opinion become invalid? Sure what happens if the Queen gives back the north? There'll be people way down in Dublin deciding all sorts about how people in the North live their lives.

Close enough to actually understand the local issues.

I wouldn't expect Enda to know why Joe Bloggs is banned from his local up in Dundalk, but I'm sure the locals do.

But if we were to apply your logic in it's entirety, then I guess we can pretty much abolish Local Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I live 5 miles from the border, this really is a non-issue. Sinn fein always need something to rally against

Dublin already has a say in the affairs of N,Ireland i.e cross border bodies etc, have you read the good friday agreement or are you just in continuios denial that times are changing

geneyuss wrote: »
    Dublin already has a say in the affairs of N,Ireland i.e cross border bodies etc, have you read the good friday agreement or are you just in continuios denial that times are changing

Is there any point in you quoting me if your just goign to twist it? I said they'll be deciding all sorts about how people live. Thats it. Which is true. Theres plenty of decisions made that affect people in the north now, but thats not what I was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

and in football theres 2 different associations, 2 different leagues and 2 different national teams (one of which , funnily enough, is "northern Ireland"). Whats your point?
    And yet there's teams from one association's jurisdiction competing in the league of the other, and players from that association's jurisdiction playing for the national team of the other.

• Advertisement

Is there any point in you quoting me if your just goign to twist it? I said they'll be deciding all sorts about how people live. Thats it. Which is true. Theres plenty of decisions made that affect people in the north now, but thats not what I was saying.

you said if the Queen gave back the north (not that its her decision) that there'll be people WAY down in Dublin deciding how people in the north live, i was just pointing out that Dublin already decides, as do them folk way over there in London

Advertisement