Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein in a huff over new signs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

Ghandee wrote: »
    Eh?

I presume he is actually on topic and on about the signs being better than a portacabin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Cienciano wrote: »
    It's better than a port a cabin selling fireworks.

No, I'd say nobody minds a portacabin selling fireworks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Yes I am. Border Rat doesnt seem to think they only head up at Christmas or to Sainsburys. Everyone cant be right.

As far as I can recall, he was talking about Strabane.
    Theres a massive opinion in the south that the North is dirt cheap. The last few times I've been up had nothing to do with shopping and were done on weekdays but there was still plenty of southern reg cars heading over the border .

Dirt cheap on drink, maybe.

Living just outside Newry, I can assure you that once the clock hits twelve on Christmas Eve, the crowds of Southerners dissipate quite quickly.

Now with the terrible exchange rate, I imagine that they would struggle to find a reason to head back on up again. I for one have stopped shopping in the town and started heading out to Dundalk for my wallet's sake. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

If they were really gloating about it they would say welcome to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Just Northern Ireland is fine and not gloating in any way IMO.
    N.Ireland is not part of Great Britain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Nodin wrote: »
    No, I'd say nobody minds a portacabin selling fireworks.
    Apart from Inland Revenue.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Varied

geneyuss wrote: »

Don't correct them, it's more fun this way.:D

Where To wrote: »

No bother there!

Sure strap on a few rockets to the Cabin and we'll launch right out of there when Customs come a'callin!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

Sinn Fein still upset that a group of people decided not to join the Irish Republic and form their own government. Get over it Sinn Fein.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I recognise that pointing out the border might be a sensitive issue for locals, but obviously there has to be something explaining that you are now entering a new country/juristiction/province/region/colony/state/statelet, whatever you want to call it, it needs to be pointed out that you are leaving Ireland/Rep. of Ireland/the southern country.

For example, someone on bail in the south may be not allowed to leave the country, he accidently wanders across the ill-defined border and is found out. Back to jail. (Granted you would have to be pretty stupid to do this, but it's a valid example).

Or, you are someone working temporarily in the south, e.g. a film-maker/photographer. You have applied for a working visa, the conditions of which state that you must pay tax to the state. You are working in the border area and accidently do some work in one of the 6 counties. You have violated the conditions of your visa, and evaded tax in the north. You'd probably get away with it, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility that something like this might happen.

Or you're a newly recruited member of the PSNI and are stationed in a border area. You arrest someone drink driving on a country road but later it transpires that they were in the south and out of your jurisdiction. Que international incident. Granted again they'd have to be stupid but I think it's entirely possible.

Or you have a crappy insurance company and the policy doesn't cover you driving in the north. Again you cross over without realising and subsequently have an accident. No cover. I'm not saying there's a company with this policy, it's just a general example.

These are just some reasons that outline the reasons for well defined borders, and these could apply to any country.

So what alternatives can be put in place to avoid this type of situation, where locals are offended by the wording of sinage? Off the top of my head:
    1. Now leaving the Irish Republic, come back soon!
    2. Welcome Co. Fermanagh, N. Ireland.
    3. International Border.
    4. Area with different government, laws, and currency to the one you're leaving.

They all seem to be jumping around the point, surely just Northern Ireland would be the easiest? I'm sure the locals know exactly where they live. What do they put down on an address when shopping online, in a situation when it's a choice between Rep. of Ireland and Northern Ireland? Do they enter competitions that are open to residents of the UK and Northern Ireland only? Who do they pay their taxes though. All the border is is a political boundary, it's still the same soil, culture, history and identity (for many) on both sides. It's like getting angry about Coco Pops changing to Choco Krispies (and back) a few years ago. It's all the same inside the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Varied wrote: »

He didnt say it was:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

TheChizler wrote: »
    I recognise that pointing out the border might be a sensitive issue for locals, but obviously there has to be something explaining that you are now entering a new country/juristiction/province/region/colony/state/statelet, whatever you want to call it, it needs to be pointed out that you are leaving Ireland/Rep. of Ireland/the southern country.

For example, someone on bail in the south may be not allowed to leave the country, he accidently wanders across the ill-defined border and is found out. Back to jail. (Granted you would have to be pretty stupid to do this, but it's a valid example).

I can think of at least one bust high financier who needs to know where the border is.

Where To wrote: »

Feckin killjoys.

I love me fireworks, so I do. And theres nothin the local childer like better than the laugh they have wondering if the fat mad fella will blow himself up on halloween night. Or the laugh when he trips in the dark, come to think of it.

If they were really gloating about it they would say welcome to the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Just Northern Ireland is fine and not gloating in any way IMO.

i must be seeing things, :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I moved from NI to RoI over a decade ago, and don't miss this nonsense.

NI will always have this stupid pettiness. Its so sad and silly all in one. Surely there more importnt things for that country/province to worry about?

i must be seeing things, :confused:

Your seeing it, your just not understanding it. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland means the United Kingdom that is made up of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

I've tried to think of something to replace and with to make it mean that Northern Ireland is in Britain but I cant think of one so I really dont understand what your reading it as.

This is lamp post pissing by Trolls or it's someone who has absolutely no concept of the sensitivities of the people living on the border.
    There is plenty of Ulster Protestants who live near the border who fully recognise Northern Ireland and want people to know they are entering Northern Ireland. Why are you trying to discriminate against these people and the country they come from? Fact is they decided not to join the Irish Republic and formed their own government. It is as simple as that.

No doubt some one from Dublin will be on this thread in a minute trying to dictate to the Ulster Protestants that these signs aren't allowed. Thank god for Partition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Its still not a part of the republic. They dont pay taxes to kenny. They pay taxes ti cameron if they work in the nirth. FACT

Don't the pay taxes to their own assembly, which is ran buy both communities ?

Uk government runs the budget. They say cuts and the assembly determines where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's like getting angry about Coco Pops changing to Choco Krispies (and back) a few years ago. It's all the same inside the box.

The history of the border summed up in one little cereal branding analogy.

That's pretty amazing.

Take a trip up Harryville in Ballymena,(or any other 'staunchly unionist' area, any time from say.... June until August. (all in honour of one single day in July btw)

Its like they need to convince themselves what country they're in.

The same degree of flags and emblems are not on display in Republican areas.
    They know exactly what country they are in. Northern Ireland. Part of the United Kingdom. They fought for many years and many lives lost to defend that sacred right. Dublin will not rule these people.

• Advertisement

Your seeing it, your just not understanding it. United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland means the United Kingdom that is made up of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

I've tried to think of something to replace and with to make it mean that Northern Ireland is in Britain but I cant think of one.

:rolleyes: twist it anyway you like, its not what he said or meant, unless your a claire voyant how can you tell .

:rolleyes: twist it anyway you like, its not what he said or meant, unless your a claire voyant how can you tell .

What are you on about? You cant fail like that and just make somethign up to try get out of if. How can it not be what he said? It's right there in text. Its exactly what he said, word for word.
    Varied wrote: »

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland,[nb 5] commonly known as the United Kingdom (UK)"

Its the Name of the United Kingdom and is common knowledge.

What are you on about? You cant fail like that and just make somethign up to try get out of if.

What are you ,12 ? the only fails ive seen on this thread were yours, and several of them

The history of the border summed up in one little cereal branding analogy.

That's pretty amazing.

I admit I did get a little carried away by the end, but I'm talking about in the current day, whatever it's called, in so far as affecting their day to day lives it's just a combination of letters. They know where they live and putting it on a sign doesn't make it any more factual.
    I've tried to think of something to replace and with to make it mean that Northern Ireland is in Britain but I cant think of one so I really dont understand what your reading it as.

Including, encompassing, comprising, containing, and involving would all work I think. :)

What are you ,12 ? the only fails ive seen on this thread were yours, and several of them

Stop tryign to deflect. You tried to take the piss out of someone and were completely wrong.

Including, encompassing, comprising, containing, and involving would all work I think. :)

They would but I was more thinking of something that he could have mistaken and for. Should have been clearer. My bad. :)

• Advertisement

They would but I was more thinking of something that he could have mistaken and for. Should have been clearer. My bad. :)

Oh apologies, that was obvious now come to think of it. And I thought I was all clever using my thesaurus...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

There is plenty of Ulster Protestants who live near the border who fully recognise Northern Ireland and want people to know they are entering Northern Ireland. Why are you trying to discriminate against these people and the country they come from? Fact is they decided not to join the Irish Republic and formed their own government. It is as simple as that.

No doubt some one from Dublin will be on this thread in a minute trying to dictate to the Ulster Protestants that these signs aren't allowed. Thank god for Partition.
    They know exactly what country they are in. Northern Ireland. Part of the United Kingdom. They fought for many years and many lives lost to defend that sacred right. Dublin will not rule these people.

Welcome back Keith me old mucker ;)

http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?user=576507&sort=newest

Stop tryign to deflect. You tried to take the piss out of someone and were completely wrong.

i was completely correct, you trying to "guess" what somebody meant does not make me wrong, especailly when its there in black and white,,according to you, everybody that posted on this thread disagreeing with you was wrong, says it all for me.

i was completely correct, you trying to "guess" what somebody meant does not make me wrong, especailly when its there in black and white,,according to you, everybody that posted on this thread disagreeing with you was wrong, says it all for me.

He didn't appear to be guessing anything, he could only take the post at face value and as you said it was there in black and white, where the official name of the UK was quoted nearly to the letter.

Anyone else like to suggest what might be acceptable to everyone at the border?

I don't think I'll ever be able to understand how posters all the way down in Dublin consider themselves qualified to assess whether or not such signs would be offensive to the people actually living near them.

When I drive to work each morning, I certainly don't feel like I'm travelling abroad. Unionist Politicians, however, seem to be pretty insistent that I should feel that way!

This is what could be described as "Ulsterisation" - a process of making the divide between North and South more glaringly apparent. Now ask yourself, when has widening the divide between North and South ever been a positive move.
    The majority of people in the Irish Republic do NOT care about Northern Ireland. The gap is pretty clear and has been for many years. Dublin city people certainly don't give a **** about Northern Ireland and the Ulster folk and the agriculture in Ulster.

The Irish government does not care to the degree some Nationalists in the Irish Republic wish it would.

• Advertisement

How are you right? I dont have to guess what he meant , it's right there. You even quoted it. Theres no ambiguity there. I'll even quote it for you again.
    the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. .

Is anyone else seeing this really bad attempt to wriggle out or is this some wierd twilight zone thing ?

Stop waffling about other things and deal with this one point. What part of the quote there means anythign other than the words in it or is different from the wiki link I posted and means that Northern Ireland is in Britain?

The majority of people in the Irish Republic do NOT care about Northern Ireland. The gap is pretty clear and has been for many years. Dublin city people certainly don't give a **** about Northern Ireland and the Ulster folk and the agriculture in Ulster.

The Irish government does not care to the degree some Nationalists in the Irish Republic wish it would.

http://youtu.be/6of8lYhFxpo
    i beg to differ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Do you consider yourself British Genghis?

Judging by the number of "****'s" you used in your post - not to mention your low post count - I'm able to gather that your opinion is fair and balanced, and utterly free of partisanship.

How are you right? I dont have to guess what he meant , it's right there. You even quoted it. Theres no ambiguity there. I'll even quote it for you again.

Is anyone else seeing this really bad attempt to wriggle out or is this some wierd twilight zone thing ?

Stop waffling about other things and deal with this one point. What part of the quote there means anythign other than the words in it or is different from the wiki link I posted and means that Northern Ireland is in Britain?

yes i have already quoted it, but its not hitting home for you,, now you are just rambling incoherently

Beg to differ what? Dublin in general does not care and never has.

yes i have already quoted it, but its not hitting home for you,, now you are just rambling incoherently

Your still not answering. If its so easy, exlplain ho wwhat he said means Northern Ireland is in Britain.

No need for deflecting, or bringing up other posts, a simple , plain question that should be easy to answer.

Your not going to though, are you? I've asked questions and showed how your wrong. You've used thinly veiled insults and tried to deflect with vague talk of other posts throughout the thread. Why not be specific just for this?

Your still not answering. If its so easy, exlplain ho wwhat he said means Northern Ireland is in Britain.

No need for deflecting, or bringing up other posts, a simple , plain question that should be easy to answer.
    Again, i have already quoted and highlighted what he said,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Don't see anything wrong with the signs at all, they signify that you (and or tourists) are entering Northern Ireland - Click, the Sterling zone - GBP, Miles Per Hour, a new jurisdiction as part of the UK, you have now moved out of the jurisdiction of the Republic of Ireland, Click telephone codes = Vodafone UK, O2 UK, Orange UK mobile network, The PSNI (not Gardai), etc etc etc . . . .

The signs should be welcomed, as they do everybody a service, specially with the speedlimits and the sterling zone being highlighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

He didn't appear to be guessing anything, he could only take the post at face value and as you said it was there in black and white, where the official name of the UK was quoted nearly to the letter.

Anyone else like to suggest what might be acceptable to everyone at the border?

There already are signs to say the speed limit has changed. From a tourist point of view the less the better.

• Advertisement

Again, i have already quoted and highlighted what he said,

You quoted it and wrongly tried to mock him.

The United Kingdom OF Great Britain And Northern Ireland is correct and does NOT say that Northern Ireland is in Britain. Show me how it does. The complete lack of support for you from people on this thread that have not been slow to oppose my views speaks volumes.

Beg to differ what? Dublin in general does not care and never has.

Probably the daftest thing ive read on this thread yet.

LordSutch wrote: »
    The signs should be welcomed, as they do everybody a service, specially with the speedlimits and the sterling zone being highlighted.

A sign saying "You're now entering Northern Ireland" does all that?

LordSutch wrote: »
    Don't see anything wrong with the signs at all,...........

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ghandee wrote: »
    Do you consider yourself British Genghis?
    Why does it matter? The majority of people in the 6 counties which formed Northern Ireland decided to form a new government and a new country. That is all there is to it.

Dublin does NOT want Northern Ireland "back" and never has. Forget about it and move on. Things aren't going to go in reverse.

The United Kingdom OF Great Britain And Northern Ireland is correct and does NOT say that Northern Ireland is in Britain. Show me how it does.

oh sweet jesus,,,,read what he said about the bloody sign they should put up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

The United Kingdom OF Great Britain And Northern Ireland is correct and does NOT say that Northern Ireland is in Britain. Show me how it does.

Still no need for it though. If they tried to put that on signs it would be too obvious that they were just on the wind up. Anyway the signs are already being pulled down so the issue will be a non-issue soon. More importantly almost £1000 of our money was wasted on 8 signs just to wind op the other side.

Probably the daftest thing ive read on this thread yet.
    Are you that naive to actually believe that Dublin and the Irish government actually cares about Northern Ireland and wants it "back"? Don't kid yourself. Every year they try to distance themselves and rightfully so. They can rule themselves. Liberty and self determination are the key here.

Just bring all the concerned posts here so I can understand and get all this he said business out of the way. So... Let me get this straight.

The original post said:

Then this was said:

and...

where the official definition of the UK is:
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

What exactly is the problem with what Guy:Incognito said? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Love the way thr Irish News gave us a detailed list of where all these signs are, won't be there for long I bet :D

There already are signs saying "welcome to Fermanagh" etc and ones about the speedlimits so all these signs are is an attempt to stir up things in nationalist border areas.

I see we have the usual gaggle of west brits with their nonsense about these people who happen to live on the other side of the border somehow not being Irish.

Advertisement