Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sinn Fein in a huff over new signs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Nodin wrote: »
    No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well hello there me old sausage. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I too am agog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

There already are signs to say the speed limit has changed. From a tourist point of view the less the better.

But it's not just about the speed limit, and I posted four other examples where it might be necessary to have a clear border. In any country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Still no need for it though..

The sign isnt whats being debated in this instance though. Geneyuss tried to mock another poster while being completely wrong and is now trying to deflect by gettign agressive.

Maybe if you explain to him that he is wrong he might cop it? He doesnt want to listen to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I too am agog

Aye. If he keeps this up, I'll have to get a safety belt attached to the chair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Why does it matter? The majority of people in the 6 counties which formed Northern Ireland decided to form a new government and a new country. That is all there is to it.

Dublin does NOT want Northern Ireland "back" and never has. Forget about it and move on. Things aren't going to go in reverse.

Actually a foreign power relinquished colonial rule on all but 6 counties. These 6 counties had a British/Protestant majority and governed the statelet to suit the majority with bias in housing, voting and employment rights. But don't let history get in the way of your "Arr wee kuntry Norlann Arelann nae taigs here" propaganda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Why does it matter? The majority of people in the 6 counties which formed Northern Ireland decided to form a new government and a new country. That is all there is to it.

Dublin does NOT want Northern Ireland "back" and never has. Forget about it and move on. Things aren't going to go in reverse.

If anybody wants to check out this chaps posts, I've provided some links. Somehow I doubt that he speaks for all of Dublin. Hell, I doubt he even speaks for all of Ulster.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79942686&postcount=52
    I hope some one puts a knapsack on their back and kills these Republican terrorists. Victory to the Red hand!

Said so poetically by the Dubliner...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79943699&postcount=56
    Ulster Protestants are ready and prepared to defend themselves if they must from Republican aggression

Thou shalt not feed the Trolls...

I see we have the usual gaggle of west brits with their nonsense about these people who happen to live on the other side of the border somehow not being Irish.

I don't think anybody was saying with any credibility that they weren't Irish. Just talking about what the name of the administrative area under their feet was actually called.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I just find it strange that even some unionist, actually loyalist leaders considered themselves Irish.

Fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Aye. If he keeps this up, I'll have to get a safety belt attached to the chair.

I made my contribution in #290, so I'm gone now before battle commences.

BYe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

The majority of people in the Irish Republic do NOT care about Northern Ireland. The gap is pretty clear and has been for many years. Dublin city people certainly don't give a **** about Northern Ireland and the Ulster folk and the agriculture in Ulster.

The Irish government does not care to the degree some Nationalists in the Irish Republic wish it would.
    The majority of people in England/Scotland/Wales do NOT care about Northern Ireland.
    London or even Belfast city people certainly don't give a **** about Northern Ireland and the agriculture in Ulster.

Oh and nice to see you again.....;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

TheChizler wrote: »
    Just bring all the concerned posts here so I can understand and get all this he said business out of the way. So... Let me get this straight.

The original post said:

Then this was said:

and...

where the official definition of the UK is:

What exactly is the problem with what Guy:Incognito said? :confused:

Why would one put a sign up in N.Ireland saying Welcome to The United kingdom Of Great Britain ?? When its Not Part of Great Britain???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It's good to see that there is nothing more important to complain about than a few signs.

I don't think anybody was saying with any credibility that they weren't Irish. Just talking about what the name of the administrative area under their feet was actually called.
    Could have sworn I saw one guy saying that Irish people should move from the disputed area...

Lots of implications that "proper Irish" are from the 26.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Pedantic point but under EU law it is legal currency even in the streling area and has to be accepted.

Sounds more like a wrong point.
    Can you point to something that backs this up?

But it's not just about the speed limit, and I posted four other examples where it might be necessary to have a clear border. In any country.

The difference here is that there are so many border crossings that there couldn't be a sign on every one so the possibility of accidentally crossing on a backroad still exists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭Genghis Khan.

Love the way thr Irish News gave us a detailed list of where all these signs are, won't be there for long I bet :D

There already are signs saying "welcome to Fermanagh" etc and ones about the speedlimits so all these signs are is an attempt to stir up things in nationalist border areas.

I see we have the usual gaggle of west brits with their nonsense about these people who happen to live on the other side of the border somehow not being Irish.
    Fenian Army (you are a fake Rebel who thinks throwing a Tri Colour around them makes them a proper Rebel. You are following what the Irish corporates want you to follow.

You want one conquering nation over its people instead of limited government which all free men strive for. Shame on you.

Could have sworn I saw one guy saying that Irish people should move from the disputed area...

Also another poster claiming someone from county Derry moved to Dublin so he could be Irish lol.

geneyuss wrote: »
    Why would one put a sign up in N.Ireland saying Welcome to The United kingdom Of Great Britain ?? When its Not Part of Great Britain???

If one was putting up a sign welcoming someone to the United Kingdom it would probably stand to reason they used its correct term. Which that is. Still doesnt mean Northern Ireland is in Britain anymore than the same sign in England would mean that Britain was in Northern Ireland if Britain shared a border with another country.

Ghandee wrote: »
    I just find it strange that even some unionist, actually loyalist leaders considered themselves Irish.

Fact.
    Why should they not consider themselves Irish? They just want to rebel against what they see as conquering government and more rights for the counties they come from.

They are proper rebels, not looking for one big nation like some to rule over them and take away rights of local people.

• Advertisement

Anyone commented on the agenda of the OP? Why not say local residents in a "huff" about signs?

I think the SF reps comments about the signs being a waste of money and that people should be consulted about things are actually very reasonable, and fair, comments to make.

I think I see now where the confusion arose.

You are being welcomed to the United Kingdom, which by the way is comprised of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You are not being welcomed to Great Britain specifically. It's like saying welcome to the USA when arriving in Hawaii, when that isn't part of America, it is still part of something covered by the name United States of America.

Fact.

Few and far between unfortunately. Those are the sort of unionists who wanted what was best for their people and we could actually form an honest relationship with.

David Irvine "Stop this nonsense about not being Irish".

I would say that its partly our fault that in the 9 decades since partition at least 10% of this people on this island still feel like foreigners despite being settled here for several generations.

Why should they not consider themselves Irish? They just want to rebel against what they see as conquering government and more rights for the counties they come from.

They are proper rebels, not looking for one big nation like some to rule over them and take away rights of local people.

Yet some posters here don't consider anyone born in the six counties as Irish.

Strange to say the least.

The sign isnt whats being debated in this instance though. Geneyuss tried to mock another poster while being completely wrong and is now trying to deflect by gettign agressive.

Maybe if you explain to him that he is wrong he might cop it? He doesnt want to listen to me

wrong again,,, nobody is really listening to you,,,,you have been trolling for hours now, as has been suggested, when proven wrong you start seeking support from non-existent posters ,,,pathetic really. Like most of you replys

I think the SF reps comments about the signs being a waste of money and that people should be consulted about things are actually very reasonable, and fair, comments to make.

Surely the job of the council or whoever put it up is to make these decisions? It's a sign. If a public consultation was needed every time a sign had to be put up, nothing would get done. There has to be a balance between getting things dont at a decent price and peopel bemoanign the amoutn of money and time it takes to get a simple sign put up.

all you can do is laugh at nonsense like this given the history

I think I see now where the confusion arose.

You are being welcomed to the United Kingdom, which by the way is comprised of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. You are not being welcomed to Great Britain specifically. It's like saying welcome to the USA when arriving in Hawaii, when that isn't part of America, it is still part of something covered by the name United States of America.

This seems to be the point, only i wasnt confused

wrong again,,, nobody is really listening to you,,,,you have been trolling for hours now, as has been suggested, when proven wrong you start seeking support from non-existent posters ,,,pathetic really. Like most of you replys

No it''s not worng. What is pathetic is your constant attempts to drag out a bad attempt by you to mock someone to you being right.Look at all the replies. I;ve given you reasons, backed up by links to show your wrong. You've repeatedly called me a troll and deflected away from the discussion.

No, you were wrong.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland. No where does that sentence mean Northern Ireland is in BRitain. In fact it's quite clear that its in the UK and not in Britain.

• Advertisement

One guy does not a gaggle of West Brits make.

all you can do is laugh at nonsense like this given the history
    Laugh all you want but it is true. The Union with Great Britain is not as clear cut as you like to think. You are no different from those who want one big British nation in that you want one big Irish nation with less rights for local people and defending the rights of counties.

That isn't being a rebel at all.

Surely the job of the council or whoever put it up is to make these decisions? It's a sign. If a public consultation was needed every time a sign had to be put up, nothing would get done. There has to be a balance between getting things dont at a decent price and peopel bemoanign the amoutn of money and time it takes to get a simple sign put up.
    Its not "just" a sign. Any gob****e would know that it would be contentious in these areas.

Good, so we're all agreed then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I would have thought this a blessing in disguise. Every night somebody could just move the signs back a little until the border disappears.

Few and far between unfortunately. Those are the sort of unionists who wanted what was best for their people and we could actually form an honest relationship with.

David Irvine "Stop this nonsense about not being Irish".

I would say that its partly our fault that in the 9 decades since partition at least 10% of this people on this island still feel like foreigners despite being settled here for several generations.
    A great patriot and some one who tried to defend his people locally from tyranny which was being influenced by those afar. RIP David Ervine.

• Advertisement

That's exactly who i was referring to fenian. Your on the ball.;)

He was once the leader of the UVF, but in saying that, I always considered him a fair and decent man (during the peace process anyway)

The unionist community lost a 'decent' person when he passed, and i say that as someone from 'the other side' :D

The decision was made by Danny Kennedy, the regional development minister. The Tourist Board had previously said it would be damaging for tourism to do something like this and he went ahead.

£1000 wasted because of some idiotic point scoring.

No it''s not worng. What is pathetic is your constant attempts to drag out a bad attempt by you to mock someone to you being right.Look at all the replies. I;ve given you reasons, backed up by links to show your wrong. You've repeatedly called me a troll and deflected away from the discussion.

No, you were wrong.

Northern Ireland is part of the United Kingdom Of Great Britain And Northern Ireland. No where does that sentence mean Northern Ireland is in BRitain. In fact it's quite clear that its in the UK and not in Britain.

how was telling somebody N.Ireland is not in Great Britain mocking them ??

and where have i repeatedly called you a troll ?? wrong again !!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

Its constitutionally Northern Ireland by the will of the majority of people. However it is only a very slight majority of people there consider themselves British or Northern Irish

Nationalists and those I describe as "cultural nationalists" there say "the north" and describe themselves as Irish. A lot of them are embarrassed about the term "Northern Ireland" because it suggests they are less Irish than those from the 26

So expecting these signs to last in border areas is silly beyond belief.

how was telling somebody N.Ireland is not in Great Britain mocking them ??

Because you thought he said Northern Ireland was in Britain. Seriously, this was covered ages ago. If you actually read and replied to posts instead of throwing insults around you'd have answered that already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Fact.

Why? There are undoubtedly plenty of Scots and Welsh who consider themselves to be Scots/Welsh and British simultaneously. There are plenty of Irish who identify as both Irish and European (that would be my own approximate cultural identity). Why is it strange that some people could identify both Irish and British? It's just a shame that that sort of dual (or even multiple) identity is not more prevalent and better accepted- it might help to build a great deal of empathy.

A great patriot and some one who tried to defend his people locally from tyranny which was being influenced by those afar. RIP David Ervine.

We would all be a lot happier if he was across the table in Stormont now. Unfortunately the summer festivities enforce an identity on Irish Protestants and no one listened to David. Maybe some day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Laugh all you want but it is true. The Union with Great Britain is not as clear cut as you like to think. You are no different from those who want one big British nation in that you want one big Irish nation with less rights for local people and defending the rights of counties.

That isn't being a rebel at all.

I guess all the Gerrymandering was for our own good then.

We were getting in the way of a true Rebellion, I dare say!

Its mad how people can think a scumbag like Ervine was a "decent guy". Just how low is the bar someone needs to measure up to qualify as a "decent guy"? Its like when spence died you had people singing his praises too, and he was one of the worst people this island has had the misfortune to spawn.

I think he was a complete sectarian dirtbag who had a few redeeming qualities, like everyone does.

and where have i repeatedly called you a troll ?? wrong again !!

I'll take the one instance from this page. I'm not searchign back through all your posts. If it makes you feel better I'll retract the word repeatedly for you.
    wrong again,,, nobody is really listening to you,,,,you have been trolling for hours now,

Now, any chance of showing where he said Northern Ireland is in Britain?

Because you thought he said Northern Ireland was in Britain. Seriously, this was covered ages ago. If you actually read and replied to posts instead of throwing insults around you'd have answered that already.

I know what he said,,, now answer the question, where did i mock him or call you a troll several times or insult anyone??, your quick to demand answers, now lets see you do it

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    So expecting these signs to last in border areas is silly beyond belief.

They wouldnt be much use in other areas.

I guess all the Gerrymandering was for our own good then.

We were getting in the way of a true Rebellion, I dare say!
    Exactly my point. That was very bad government. But it doesn't mean that a state can't exist in co existence with the Irish government. If Stormont would focus more on local issues for the people everyone would be better off.

Liberty is basically the point I am getting at. That is why Northern Ireland exists because in one way, Nationalists don't want it to exist but a large portion of people don't want to be ruled by Dublin. Civil war is not needed.

I know what he said,,, now answer the question, where did i mock him or call you a troll several times or insult anyone??, your quick to demand answers, now lets see you do it

I've already answered. If your goign to demand quick answers at least check if your too slow for that.

Now, we'll come back to your demands later. I asked you first how he was wrong.

Why? There are undoubtedly plenty of Scots and Welsh who consider themselves to be Scots/Welsh and British simultaneously. There are plenty of Irish who identify as both Irish and European (that would be my own approximate cultural identity). Why is it strange that some people could identify both Irish and British? It's just a shame that that sort of dual (or even multiple) identity is not more prevalent and better accepted- it might help to build a great deal of empathy.

The reason i find it strange?

Because loyalist leaders, from the six counties considered themselves Irish.

Yet we have people from Ireland (twenty six counties) who tell us we're not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement