Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tourist tips for Ireland

• 07-08-2012 6:28pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have friends coming over from Canada next month and I want to do something really nice for them.

It is their first trip to Ireland and I will be advising them of places to see and what to avoid etc.

They want to go to some of the less stereo-typical places here. They plan to hire a car and maybe drive across to Connemara and go up to Donegal and maybe come down through the Midlands before landing in Kerry and doing the Ring of Kerry etc.

Any tips, they are both in their late twenties and are a couple. Ireland is so boring I wouldn't know where to start as I never even consider it as a holidays destination.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Best tip I can offer is not to use you as a guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

trad wrote: »
    Best tip I can offer is not to use you as a guide

Nor would I look for advice in After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Go to pubs, say hello to people. See if you can get a chat going.

I ****ing love talking to tourists in the pub. I get to show them a bit of Ireland that's not going to be found in tour guides and I get to talk to (generally) interesting people who want to see more of the world than the best beaches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Tell them to avoid walking down OConnell street alone at night.

I had to put an American wide to that as she was saying she was going to walk back to the Westbury from Madigans in North Earl street.

I ended up walking her to the taxi rank.

Bring them round to the different Dublin gardens they are all beautiful this time of year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Make sure they tell people they are Canadian.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

Show them why you don't think Ireland is a holiday destination.

A game of golf in the Deer Park is nice. Dollymount is a lovely walk, Blessington lakes, the Brazen head have good trad bands playing the weekend.

Take them to some festival going on somewhere in the empire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Colmustard wrote: »
    Tell them to avoid walking down OConnell street alone at night.

I had to put an American wide to that as she was saying she was going to walk back to the Westbury from Madigans in North Earl street.

I ended up walking her to the taxi rank.

Bring them round to the different Dublin gardens they are all beautiful this time of year.

The wildlife in the garden of remembrance is well worth a look.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have already advised them to totally avoid Dublin for obvious reasons, I'm thinking more offbeat country places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Stinicker wrote: »
    I have already advised them to totally avoid Dublin for obvious reasons, I'm thinking more offbeat country places.

The Borris horse fair is a bit of craic, I hear.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

Asking for directions will only leave you more confused

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Jaysus bud, the culchies in Dublin aren't that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Skellig Michael

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Hmmm Ireland is so boring...avoid Dublin entirely...

I'm surprised that Failte Ireland haven't headhunted you to lead their marketing department!!

Galway there is always a great buzz there and its a beautiful county.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

sunny south east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

avoid Dublin entirely? Have you no interest in history?

What a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tips for driving in Ireland.

Is that a puddle? Or is it a very deep hole?
    Never trust a signpost.
    It looks like a straight road, but you may find there's actually a hidden dip in the road concealing a car.
    Unless there's grass growing up the middle of the road your on a main road, don't panic.
    You can never take the wrong road, there's half a dozen ways to get to anywhere in Ireland.
    Your driving to slow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bring plenty of money. tell your friends to mention in a culchie pub that are after a bit of land. cue very nosy locals

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

It sounds like they have a pretty decent itinerary organised already. Kerry is stunning, the ring of kerry is a lovely drive if they get nice weather. If they enjoy hiking a trip to the reeks is well worth it to climb irelands highest 'mountain'. Not a difficult hike and some stunning scenery. Maybe a trip to the sceiligs (something on my list of things to do).

i would prefer the mayo coast to Connemara, up around westport (a trek up croagh patrick) and Delphi and maybe on to Enniscrone (that said Connemara is a super spot too). Then onwards to Donegal.

On their way back down they could go via athlone follow the shannon, see Lough Ree and Derg (a stop over in killaoe) maybe veer off to see the rock of cashel after lough derg. Then kerry.

There are hundreds of different places to go id try and work on your enthuasiasm as a tour guide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Thou must salute everyone you meet on a country road

Walk or drive you must salute

Also the farmers of Ireland are not Nazis, they just salute like they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Tell them not to wear fanny packs.
    Not to get annoyed when they are asked which part of "de states" they are from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Great things I have done in Ireland:

Get the ferry out to Inishbofin. Stay the night. It's great craic out there. Nothing like coming across Clew Bay in a boat watching the rain lashing down on Achill while the sun is shining on the boat (rain lashing on boat while the sun is shining on Achill is a different kettle of fish).

Ride a horse along the beach at Gweedore.

Visit Carrigahowley Tower House in Mayo - home of Gráinne Ní Mháille. Amazing place.

Go to Westport - most beautiful town in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

ahh thats right,sure all canadian citys are crime free,thats why dublin would be such a shock to them....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nodin wrote: »
    The Borris horse fair is a bit of craic, I hear.

Lol, "howya boss,do you want a few tools? Me cousin in Toronto will tarmac your drive for ye".The Canadians would love that.

bring plenty of money. tell your friends to mention in a culchie pub that are after a bit of land. cue very nosy locals

Ye'll never get yer hands on the Widow's Field, yank!!

Bannasidhe wrote: »

Go to Westport - most beautiful town in Ireland.

pffft somebody's never been to Nenagh.:rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

A drive around the Inishowen 100 if the weather's decent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

TPD wrote: »

Definitely thiis. And a drive around the Beara Penisula in Cork- it is much more scenic than the Ring of Kerry but only less well known because all the big tour companys go around the Ring and it is marketed better. The big tour buses can't fit on Beara's roads so it is much quieter. And nicer IMHO.

• Advertisement

for what obvious reasons. why wouldnt they want to visit the capital?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

If they end up in Kerry and are in any way active, rent a couple of bikes and cycle around the ring of kerry. Great views there!
    Hiking in Glendalough and swimming in the pool at the top of the waterfall is great aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

TPD wrote: »
    It's always decent in Inishowen.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

for what obvious reasons. why wouldnt they want to visit the capital?

Because a tiny minority of human waste has completely destroyed our nations capital. Crime is everywhere and it is one of the most uneasy and dangerous cities in Europe. 99% of Dublin people are the grandest decent folk going but that 1% should be just euthanized for the good of society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Tory Island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

How do you pick the midlands over Galway city?! Bring them down quay street on a nice night ffs. They'll like it more than Offaly. Avoid the midlands.

Galway, connemara and Cork. Get those 3 in and you will be doing well.

• Advertisement

Because a tiny minority of human waste has completely destroyed our nations capital. Crime is everywhere and it is one of the most uneasy and dangerous cities in Europe. 99% of Dublin people are the grandest decent folk going but that 1% should be just euthanized for the good of society.

its actually one of the safest capital cities in europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Donegal-Grianan an Aileach, Slieve league cliffs, Beaches galore, Sexy boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭skinny90

Hi,

I have friends coming over from Canada next month and I want to do something really nice for them.

It is their first trip to Ireland and I will be advising them of places to see and what to avoid etc.

They want to go to some of the less stereo-typical places here. They plan to hire a car and maybe drive across to Connemara and go up to Donegal and maybe come down through the Midlands before landing in Kerry and doing the Ring of Kerry etc.

Any tips, they are both in their late twenties and are a couple. Ireland is so boring I wouldn't know where to start as I never even consider it as a holidays destination.
    Define less stereotypical??all the places you have mentioned are pretty much stereotypical no?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

Learn to speak some eastern European languages because most people who will serve you in restaurants and hotels, will be from there....:p

Colmustard wrote: »
    Galway there is always a great buzz there and its a beautiful county.

galway village is decent too

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

galway village is decent too

Galway is a city, probably the best in Ireland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

End of September?

http://www.npa.ie/

National ploughing championships, it's like a microcosm of rural Ireland.
    Bit of craic, lots of beer and tyre kicking galore

Doom wrote: »
    Galway is a city, probably the best in Ireland too.

when you look at it, its only a town. not even a big one at that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

phasers wrote: »
    avoid Dublin entirely? Have you no interest in history?

He is a Kerry man that hates Dublin with a passion. Check out his posts on the Gaa forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Hooray - another one for the ignore list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

Check out adventure island in wwstport and do some adventure stuff. they have a website that im too lazy too look for as im on my phone!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Sligo is a gem of a county, IMO. Unheralded too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I have seen a lot of Ireland and I would honestly advise they stay on the west coast (and only spend a day or two in Dublin but only if they fly into it, otherwise avoid).

I would tell them to work their way up or down the west coast and they cant go far wrong:

West Cork
    Kerry
    Clare
    Galway
    Mayo
    Sligo
    Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Instead of them driving to Conemara then to Donegal then the midland then Kerry would they not be better to Drive to Donegal then to Conemara then through the midlands down by the Shannon going to Kerry .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Sligo is a gem of a county, IMO. Unheralded too.

Agreed. Not sure why it doesn't get much press but it's a lovely county - loads to see and do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement