Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tourist tips for Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Doom wrote: »
    Galway is a city, probably the best in Ireland too.

It's a city, but certainly not the best. It doesn't have any grand buildings one expects from a city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Sea Filly wrote: »
    Sligo is a gem of a county, IMO. Unheralded too.

sligo is fantastic. i had an amazing week there last year. i still miss hargodans:( but we will be back before xmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Galway is a city but so too is Tuam down the road which actually has a Catholic and Protestant cathedral and got a charter from some king. Galway is however a small city albeit with a lot of character and really feels like a big town.

Dublin is certainly is our capital city but as European cities go, it is relatively boring and uninspiring (and dirty) so I would advise Americans to avoid it and come to Ireland specifically for the countryside - they can always hit London/Paris/Rome for the city sightseeing. I lived in Dublin for a few years and while I had good fun, it hasn't a huge amount to offer unless you like binge drinking :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Clifden - Sky Road, Marconi Wireless stations ruins, Alcock and Brown landing site. Carraroe and Maam Cross are pretty nice, as is Oughterrard

Galway- Ross Abbey near Headford. Oldest castle ruins in Europe supposidly, it's pretty cool to see. Coole Park down near Gort to see the tree the likes of W.B Yeats carved their names into.

Mayo - Westport is a really nice town. Also Achill has the nicest beach in Ireland

Leitrim - Lough Kee Forest Park, Glencar Waterfall

Roscommon - Up by Kilronan castle is really pretty. Green and nice quite lakes.

Wicklow - Powerscourt

Clare - All of it. It's probably the nicest county. Go to Spanish Point, lahinch.

Longford - There's some nice houses and green areas in Longford and it's a very small town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,538 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Slieve League cliffs in Donegal....puts the Cliffs of Moher to shame
    Climb Errigal.
    The drive from Donegal Town to Sligo....fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Sligo and Leitrim come in for a bit of a hard time and I never understood why - they're beautiful places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Visit Dublin, Killarney, Clare and Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

:D @ all the dubs getting offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,661 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭ko4jm6y9iwv2lc

The Fields of Athenry are a must see for any tourist. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Fields of Athenry are a must see for any tourist.

Someone built a few housing estates on them..:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Do they want Real Oireland or Shamrocks & Leperachauns Ireland .Hinde's ireland or the real ting .Keep them away from the shearing sheds if they're not wealthy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Slieve league or anywhere on the coast in Donegal or the West really.

And yea, the pub thing is good. The pub I work in, we get a good amount of tourists in for "1" drink and end up staying a few hours chatting to everyone, and usually leave laughing at the stories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭grange mac

I'll take them!! Need 3acres of stones picked from my plouged field before the rain on sat. After that bring them to lough hyne near baltimore....fab spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

OP have a look at Monday nights Nationwide special on the Waterford Museums, 1000 years in 1000 paces

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Stinicker wrote: »
    Because a tiny minority of human waste has completely destroyed our nations capital. Crime is everywhere and it is one of the most uneasy and dangerous cities in Europe. 99% of Dublin people are the grandest decent folk going but that 1% should be just euthanized for the good of society.

1) They havent

2) It isnt

3) It Isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Ditch the bitches and hit Courtown!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Surprised that so many people think tourists should avoid Dublin! I think it's definitely worth a couple days' visit. There are lots of touristy things for people who like that sort of sightseeing - Dublinia, the Splash tour, Dublin Castle, Trinity College, several (free) museums, Temple Bar, the Zoo, trips out to Malahide/Howth/Dun Laoighre - and plenty for people who prefer less stereotypical tourist traps (lots of nice parks, restaurants, bars, shops, monuments, etc.)

Outside Dublin, I think Limerick is underrated. The city is nice and Adare village is even nicer. It's also close enough to Bunratty Castle in Clare.

Killarney and Letterkenny are also pretty good towns for tourists and both are within driving distance of national parks and scenic routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Bring a raincoat and umbrella and a personal life buoy incase ya get stuck in a flash flood during the middle of summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Start down in Cork city, have a few drinks in the Bierhaus, there's a great record shop upstairs in the Arthouse cinema if you're into that sort of thing.

Head out to west Cork and Kerry for some site-seeing, have some ice-cream in Dingle, get sloshed with scumbag teenagers in BallyB on a monday night, rent mountain bikes in Ballyhoura. Take the Tarbert ferry across to Clare, go surfing in Lahinch, maybe check out the cliffs of moher (they're only alright really), go rock climbing at the Ailladie cliffs just up the road. Spend a night camping on Fanore beach and watch the sun go down over the Aran Islands (they might be worth a visit too).

Obviously you'll need a night out in Galway too and a stroll round the town during the day. Grab some fish and chips in MacDonagh's, buy some cheap second hand books in Charlie Byrne's.

Go hiking in Connemara, maybe check out delpi or killary or petersburg adventure centre for some abseiling, rock climbing, kayaking etc. Drive the inagh valley for some of the most spectacular views in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Anyone wrote: »
    Make sure they tell people they are Canadian.

Now why should they do that? I've been living in Dublin as an American for about a year and haven't had any trouble with my nationality (why should I?). Find this a bit offensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

if in connemara, spend atleast one night on inishbofin. will not regret it.

galwayrush wrote: »
    Someone built a few housing estates on them..:pac:

Yeah I was driving around rural parts of East Galway recently and I think some of the rediculously huge Celtic Tiger one off houses will become tourist attractions in the years to come. Some of them are absolutely huge and look very complex to build with all kinds of angles and 'wings'. Many look empty too or the large gardens have been left undone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

dirtyden wrote: »
    It sounds like they have a pretty decent itinerary organised already. Kerry is stunning, the ring of kerry is a lovely drive if they get nice weather. If they enjoy hiking a trip to the reeks is well worth it to climb irelands highest 'mountain'. Not a difficult hike and some stunning scenery. Maybe a trip to the sceiligs (something on my list of things to do).

i would prefer the mayo coast to Connemara, up around westport (a trek up croagh patrick) and Delphi and maybe on to Enniscrone (that said Connemara is a super spot too). Then onwards to Donegal.

On their way back down they could go via athlone follow the shannon, see Lough Ree and Derg (a stop over in killaoe) maybe veer off to see the rock of cashel after lough derg. Then kerry.

There are hundreds of different places to go id try and work on your enthuasiasm as a tour guide.

delphi IS in Connemara. :D

Doom wrote: »
    Galway is a city, probably the best in Ireland too.

its actually a town. A market town. That they decided to call a city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

In a similar situation myself recently and thought the same. I was wrong. We are lucky to live in one of the most beautiful countries in the world.

Cliffs of Moher
    Galway
    Belfast
    Kilkenny castle
    Wicklow mountains
    Glendalough
    The hundreds of old churches and the old towers.
    St.kevins tower
    List is endless

All beautiful places with great history. Some of the rural places you pass through are nothing short of amazing. Obviously the bars too but not so much temple bar. Local bars with friends and family and they'll be left thinking WTF is going on here.

Used to think Ireland would be a crap place for a holiday but now it's the opposite.

please advise them NOT to go to the Cliffs of Mohar. Yes they are nice, - they have been around for thousands and thousands of years, but only in our greedy lifetime do people get legally robbed if they want to see them.

They are a natural part of Ireland - make sure you tell them that if they want to see this natural beauty they gotta pay through the nose.

In fact tell them not to ever bother go there. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

please advise them NOT to go to the Cliffs of Mohar. Yes they are nice, - they have been around for thousands and thousands of years, but only in our greedy lifetime do people get legally robbed if they want to see them.

They are a natural part of Ireland - make sure you tell them that if they want to see this natural beauty they gotta pay through the nose.

Do the boat trip from Fisher Street, much more impressive than the viewpoint.

Think we paid about 2euro??

Actually think to see the cliffs are free but you need to pay to get into the new interactive part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

IrishAm wrote: »
    He is a Kerry man that hates Dublin with a passion.

Second part of that sentence is redundant

• Advertisement

Actually think to see the cliffs are free but you need to pay to get into the new interactive part.

when were you last there?

when were you last there?

About two weeks ago??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Admission Prices
    Adult €6.00, children under 16 free, senior citizen €4.00, student €4.00 and disabled visitor €4.00. The admission charge includes entry to all public areas of the visitor centre building, all external areas of the visitor zone including the cliff pathways and platforms, unlimited vehicle parking and provision of first aid facilities and safety onsite. Admission to the cliffs exhibition is also included.

:eek:

About two weeks ago??

how did you get a way with paying 2 euro - did you only go to see the tower and not the cliffs, did you not park your car. :D Did you crawl in in the dead of night.

I think you will find that if you want to park up, and visit the cliffs, the tower and walk around the pathway it will cost you 8 euro per person (that is with the exception of yourself)

As I said OP - tell them to AVOID the Cliffs of Moher unless they want to be robbed.

Boombastic wrote: »

Admission Prices
    Adult €6.00, children under 16 free, senior citizen €4.00, student €4.00 and disabled visitor €4.00. The admission charge includes entry to all public areas of the visitor centre building, all external areas of the visitor zone including the cliff pathways and platforms, unlimited vehicle parking and provision of first aid facilities and safety onsite. Admission to the cliffs exhibition is also included.

:eek:

Oops!! Still, it's not that bad. Worth the look anyway. Didn't know about the boat to see it, I'd say that might be better.

What we did was drive up walked the cliffs and paid into the new interactive place, which isn't great in fairness. The breeze was shocking though, surprised people don't blow off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

tell them to go to a pub on Shankill road for some traditional Irish music

About two weeks ago??

how did you get a way with paying 2 euro - did you only go to see the tower and not the cliffs, did you not park your car. :D Did you crawl in in the dead of night.

I think you will find that if you want to park up, and visit the cliffs, the tower and walk around the pathway it will cost you 8 euro per person (that is with the exception of yourself)

As I said OP - tell them to AVOID the Cliffs of Moher unless they want to be robbed.

Thanks, maybe I'm a bit special! 6 euro isn't that bad. It is a beautiful place

Oops!! Still, it's not that bad. Worth the look anyway. Didn't know about the boat to see it, I'd say that might be better.

What we did was drive up walked the cliffs and paid into the new interactive place, which isn't great in fairness. The breeze was shocking though, surprised people don't blow off it.

IMO the boat is the best way to see them, or get the ferry from Doolin to the Aran Islands.

They used to be free:(

its actually 8 Euro billy. Ya, you must be special alright - that - or a big fibber :D:D

(this post is made in jest).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

• Cycle The Great Western Greenway, rent bikes in any of the towns on the route
    • Surfing - Loads of nice places to do this, I've tried Achil and Lahinch and loved it at both
    • Mountain Biking at Ballyhoura or Ticknock
    • Mountain Boarding, if you want something they've never tried before: http://www.discoverireland.ie/Activities-Adventure/surfin-dirt-mountain-boarding/67849 - There's mountain biking and off-road Segwaying in the area too.
    • If they see sense and decide to head to Dublin, get a map from one of the bus tour companies, then rent Dublin Bikes and make their own way around the route.
    • Hiking on the Wicklow Way
    • There are loads of places to kayak in Ireland as well
    • Rent a cruiser and take a few days on the Shannon, or even take a day trip, something like Portumna to Terryglass would be great

Basically anything that gets them out of the car. Every country is boring from behind a windscreen.

its actually 8 Euro billy. Ya, you must be special alright - that - or a big fibber :D:D

(this post is made in jest).

Previous poster done a copy paste job and said it was 6!! I said about 2 euro. Misses paid but said it was only a few euro. Leave me alone :( lol

Out of interest anyone go to the titanic museme in Belfast? Is it good?

Previous poster done a copy paste job and said it was 6!! I said about 2 euro. Misses paid but said it was only a few euro. Leave me alone :( lol

it is six if you don't go into the Tower - if you go into the tower it is an extra 2 - simples. :)

I've been to the one in Cork, it's not bad for a stop if you're driving by..haven't been to the one in Belfast yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

nbar12 wrote: »
    tell them to go to a pub on Shankill road for some traditional Irish music

Actually the Taxi Tours of the Shankill and Falls are quite interesting. Part of the tour sees you let loose wandering in an estate on the Shankill covered in murals to go and get a close look and photos for yourself.

We (two Free-Staters) didn't get any trouble on the Shankill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

After a longish flight, it might be better to stay in Dublin the first 2 days. I recommend a walking history tour, taking them on a pub crawl (Classic irish pubs like O'Donoghues, Dawson Lounge, Grogans), some shopping on grafton and maybe take a DART down the coast for lunch by the sea.

From there take a spin up to Newgrange/Knowth, Trim Castle and the Hill of Tara for a day and then hit the road for Westport for a flying visit. Spend a day driving around connemara before hitting Galway. A night or 2 in Galway wouldn't be a bad choice, take a day trip to cliffs of Moher and if they are active enough hit some waves in Lahinch also.

Make your way to the Ring of Kerry via The Burren. I'd recommend stopping off in Dingle too if time allows. Killarney National Park might spark their interest also.

I'd head to West Cork from there. From Bantry out to Schull and Baltimore, maybe a overnight on Cape Clear Island. The famine heritage centre and mass graves in Skibbereen may interest them and lighten the mood with a few pints in Glandore. I'd head to Cork city for an evening and maybe a day shopping or a show at the Opera house. Clonakility might be worth a stop too on the way.

Make your way up on the M7 stopping to check out Cashel before leaving the motorway and heading east for Kilkenny to check out the cobbled streets and castle also. Then back to Dublin for the flight home.

• Advertisement

it is six if you don't go into the Tower - if you go into the tower it is an extra 2 - simples. :)

2+6 =8 so maybe I'm right!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Middleton Distillery tour in Cork

It's quality

You'll get a lovely lunch there too

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Middleton Distillery tour in Cork

It's quality

You'll get a lovely lunch there too

It's a bit dear and only some get to taste the good stuff:(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭ljpg

titanic quarter is excellent,the museam is good but the best part of it is the walking tour,the dry dock where the ship was fitted out is enormous and you really get to appreciate how big the ship was when your down in it.

hardCopy wrote: »
    • Rent a cruiser and take a few days on the Shannon, or even take a day trip, something like Portumna to Terryglass would be great

Actually this is one of the best holidays you can do in Ireland - a trip on a cruiser down the Shannon. So relaxing - time seems to stand still.

• Advertisement
Advertisement