Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is alcohol so accepted in our society

• 07-08-2012 7:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

As somebody whose daily life at this stage revolves around alcohol, and cannot get my mind off of it on a daily basis - I cannot understand why this substance is so readily accepted, and shunned of responsibility, as well as the toll it takes on our society at large along with indviduals. This is easily one of the most addictive and dangerous drugs on the face of the planet, yet we as a society seem oblivious to it because of it's legality, buying a few drinks in the few pub at the weekend, or picking up a few cans or bottle of wine at the local supermarket, and thinking nothing of it. And yet it has been proven by doctors, medical experts, scientists etc. that it is one of the most addictive and personally destructive substances we have, and yet it's use is taken so casually within society at large.

Non-addictive and less harmful substances such s pot, acid etc. have been made illegal by our governing forces, and yet I have never known a pot smoker, and indeed taker of any other substance the government deems haphazard to human health to ruin their own lives, as well as society at large - to cause as much ruination to their own and others lives as alcohol. Booze is proven to be physically and psychologically addictive, more so than other substances now illegal, yet I have seen far more damage to lives and communities the breadth of this country as of alcohol, as opposed to all other illegal substances combined, and yet we think of alcohol as nothing more than a harmless product available down at the local pub or supermarket, and yet we condemn people who partake in inhaling/ in-taking substances far less dangerous substances.

I guess just goes to show you how hypocritical our society is, accept and undermine the effects of one of the most addictive and dangerous drugs (and yes it is a drug, look it up) on the face of the planet, while we persecute people partaking in less harmful activities and past-times.

And yes I find myself more addicted to the two products deemed acceptable by our government and society - alcohol and tobacco - then I ever could with safer, and yet illegal products made illegal, and looked down upon by our society and made illegal by the (seemingly) un-educated busybodies within power.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

tl;dr? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Because it's yummy and more importantly, helps to dull the pain and misery of my everyday existence.

I mean, I imagine that's why other people love it. Obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

ah shure its great crack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

because publicans are also politicians so they keep the culture alive to keep themselves rich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Because some people are weak and can't handle the drink.
    Some of us can drink a few pints of whiskey a day and be fine.

Seriously, did you really expect a logical answer? It's been done to f**king death in AH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I blame the BBC and Rab C Nesbitt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

OP I empathise with your situation, but you need to do better research and consult health experts / practitioners who actually know the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Another day another AH alcohol thread.

9 years off it myself and I can report that life is a hell of a lot better without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Op you better of posting here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1015.

But its great fun reading answers in after hours :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭hellyeah

revenue. The only reason the age limit will never be increased or minimum price introduced. We buy it by the gallon and the goverment makes a fortune. My local supermarket has the alcohol on pallets by the front door as you enter. They cant stock
    it quick enough most nights of the week. Flying out the door.
    National epidemic imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

/pukes on shoes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It gets us our hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭dttq

Some of us can drink a few pints of whiskey a day and be fine.

I'm sure you can, good for you, keep up the good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Dave0301

dttq wrote: »
    Non-addictive and less harmful substances such s pot, acid etc. have been made illegal by our governing forces, and yet I have never known a pot smoker, and indeed taker of any other substance the government deems haphazard to human health to ruin their own lives, as well as society at large - to cause as much ruination to their own and others lives as alcohol.

Heroin? Cocaine? Ecstasy? Crystal Meth?

The Government bands these things for a reason as well as pot and and acid!

Although your point still stands in relation to alcohol and it is certainly endemic of the Irish psyche to have a somewhat immature approach to use of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I'm in a lucky position to be able to take it or leave it. After a hard weeks work I enjoy a glass of wine or a few beers.
    But the difference is I can choose not to drink if I don't want it.

I have often wondered if drink wasn't so readily available would people find something else to abuse. I'm nearly certain they would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

This thread reminded me that I need to re-stock my supply of Beamish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Because, and im just being a tad flippant here, but its the "done thing", how things are etc, just like "we" are about our catholic heritage and all that etc, we are ,mostly, a nation of drinkers, in comparison with most other nationalities anyway.
    25 years of age now, turning 26 this coming weekend :), and as much as i like a drink of even a good few drinks on occaison, i think for most it gradually goes down of importance in your brain etc as you get older, i like a drink or two to relax but the whole getting fecking blathered thing is kinda now only wanted by me on certain/special occaisons. i couldne see myself ever stopping, but cutting it severley down most of the time is a yeah from me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'm sure you can, good for you, keep up the good work.

What's your obsession though? You made a thread the other day about why women can't hold their drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

I'm not mad keen on the drink myself. Which is certainly strange for an eighteen year old Irish male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

You just can't be the awkward cnut standing around without a drink on a night out. God no.

Sure you'd look like a right plonk having a conversation with someone without a pint glass hovering in front of your face.

Imagine also, the absolute mortification that would come about when the conversation comes to slow point and ya can't shout, "Drink?!", while doing the much loved pint to mouth hand motion.

And sure where the hell are you gonna get the confidence to even have said conversation?

Count me out of this sobriety lark anyway, I don't want to be that absolute lemon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Alcohol actually is good for my skin i find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Alcohol actually is good for my skin i find.

Doesn't do me an favours at all unfortunately :(

As somebody whose daily life at this stage revolves around alcohol, and cannot get my mind off of it on a daily basis - ''

If things are really this bad then you need to stop drinking. End of . Period. Things will only continue to go on a downward spiral.

There are places you can go to for help. AA would be a great port of call if you think things are so bad you might like to stop, but cant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

coz tis mighty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 738 ✭✭✭crazy cabbage

I know 100% where you are coming from OP. This has come up a load of times in the form of pot vs alcohol.

Cheack out these treads. should keep you going for a while :eek:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056285087

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056703025

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056705411

There is proberly more but if you read all that you will be doing well

but yea. It is stupidly stupid that anyone can seriesly stand up and say that alcohol is ok but pot/shrooms/DMT/long-list-of-'drugs' are not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It was invented by the english to keep us down:mad:

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Great Idea for any young person to make the odd trip to an AA meeting and it's an education on it's own; to stay with you for the rest of your lives .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

I'm not sure that people are as flippant about alcohol as you assert. You're not really distinguishing between the types of drinker. While I wouldn't look twice at someone who enjoys a few quiet (or sometimes rowdy) pints down their local, my attitude to the following extract from your OP is absolutely different:
    As somebody whose daily life at this stage revolves around alcohol, and cannot get my mind off of it on a daily basis - I cannot understand why this substance is so readily accepted, and shunned of responsibility, as well as the toll it takes on our society at large along with indviduals.

I doubt there are many people who "readily accept" this as normal, healthy or clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Heroin? Cocaine? Ecstasy? Crystal Meth?

The Government bands these things for a reason as well as pot and and acid!

Just want to point out that Ecstasy, in itself, isn't generally regarded as particularly harmful in the medical community, it's when it's mixed with crap that problems occur, reportedly.

On the alcohol issue, I imagine the main reason for acceptance is that it's always been mainstream in society, going back to the Celts and beyond. Wine being sanctioned by the Church as well could probably contribute slightly, at least when comparing to other drugs. Other drugs have never been introduced in any huge capacity, and made illegal before they could really catch on, there was never any time to gain acceptance. These reasons I believe are the some of the main reason's for the public's acceptance of alcohol, at least when comparing to less harmful drugs.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Although your point still stands in relation to alcohol and it is certainly endemic of the Irish psyche to have a somewhat immature approach to use of alcohol.
    Incorrect, I would ask you to justify that statement with facts. It is most certainly not endemic here.

Less than 5% of the total population in Ireland have problems with alcohol in my estimation in another thread. 5% of the total population (4.6M) is about 250,000 people, but the consequences of their drinking effect 4 to 5 times that number (family, friends, colleagues, etc.) so as much as 1.25M overall could be effected.

Advertisement