Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fox Deterrent

• 07-08-2012 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi there
    Any one try those fox deterrents you can buy online in the UK . there is one there that sends out sonic sounds that only the fox will hear , and keeps them away , supposedly, my hens are left roam around garden and just go in at night but the old fox calls if i don't have them in on time and helps himself to a few, its a constant battle with the old fox . I have a 4 foot high fence around the garden but he just jumps that to make a raid on my poor helpless chicks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

bullet is the best deterrent

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

I wouldn't trust in any of those sonic devices to do anything except cost you money.
    You could shoot the fox or see if you can trap it, keep in mind though, any trap that can trap a fox, will probably be able to trap chickens, cats, dogs, small children etc as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

Rumour has it that male human urine is a great deterrent for foxes! Maybe pee in a bottle and distribute along boundary lines.

Google it, plenty of results.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭darrcow

hi when you have a hair cut ask the hairdresser for the hair. then put in a stocking and tie on the chicken wire. p*ss around the wire. so far i havent lost a hen to foxes and ive been keeping hens for 3 years. ive also heard if you use a cheese grater and grate blocks of soap around the chicken wire it will keep foxes away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,769 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

SligoEdo wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust in any of those sonic devices to do anything except cost you money.
    You could shoot the fox or see if you can trap it, keep in mind though, any trap that can trap a fox, will probably be able to trap chickens, cats, dogs, small children etc as well.

I've found alot in my fox traps over the years but no kids yet:eek:;)!! - any non-target species can simply be released in any case. Electric fencing is pretty usefull too and one touch of it will usually keep charlie away from poultry. Could be just the thing for an enclosed set-up as desribed by the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

darrcow wrote: »
    hi when you have a hair cut ask the hairdresser for the hair. then put in a stocking and tie on the chicken wire. p*ss around the wire. so far i havent lost a hen to foxes and ive been keeping hens for 3 years. ive also heard if you use a cheese grater and grate blocks of soap around the chicken wire it will keep foxes away.

darrcow bet me to it hair works a treat plenty of my neighbours use it to keep foxes away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Thanks lads or ladies for reply to tread ,looks like all i have to do is take a wee every night around the hen coop and get some hair and leave it outside around the fence i was thinking of a sensor light an the hen coop put the ould fox is far too clever to fall for that one i would think, the electric fence could be a runner as well probably last resort.I Will give the wee and the hair a go first and see how i get on Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭haybob

I'm not a huge fan of those electronice things but a dog around the place is handy

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Chicken Run

Lost hens to the fox till I bought electric netting - been great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 room670

Hi there, I live in the country and when driving especially at night recently I have seen loads of foxes scurrying off the road.
    I havent heard of the sonic deterrent though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 SligoEdo

room670 wrote: »
    Hi there, I live in the country and when driving especially at night recently I have seen loads of foxes scurrying off the road.
    I havent heard of the sonic deterrent though

If you see them scurrying off the road, you're obviously not driving fast enough :eek: :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Mostly the problem with foxes is unguarded chickens, or inexperienced foxes. (When the foxes in an area are killed en masse, new ones expand from other areas. They don't know where to find their usual prey yet - rats, mice and other vermin - so they go for the most obvious prey, the unguarded hens grazing around houses. The result is double: more rats and worse problems for poulty keepers.)

Foxes are generally cautious of humans, apart from city-dwelling foxes, of course, which are getting bolder. If you let them know you're around, and especially if you have a good dog, they'll steer clear.

The electric chicken wire is a great tip. I used to have a great hen run, wall on one side, door and wall on other two sides, chainlink on top and one side, with wire running down six inches underground and out eighteen inches from that, and weighted with blocks; very frustrated little foxes who tried to dig under that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Always give the local hunt the heads up if I am having problem.

They are very obliging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,644 ✭✭✭Markcheese

gozunda wrote: »
    Always give the local hunt the heads up if I am having problem.
    They are very obliging.

Think I'd rather the fox than a pack of hounds, but some of the gun club lads are handy to know....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Tempting as it is, don't rush to kill the fox; better to deter it until it finds easier sources of food. If you kill a local fox, strangers move in, and the new foxes don't know where the rats live, so they go straight for chickens as easier prey.

Advertisement