Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eucalyptus Snow Gum

Options
  • 07-08-2012 7:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Just after buying one: in a pot, nearly 3 feet high.

Problem is it is very, very thin - not much more than pencil thickness. I have a windy, exposed site: the tree must become stronger - quickly.

Would it help to strengthen the tree if I took 6 inches off the top of it ? Or would that stunt it for all time ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

I wouldn't be inclined to cut it.
    Just plant it, stake it firmly and things should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭reverenddave

Poulgorm wrote: »
    Just after buying one: in a pot, nearly 3 feet high.

Problem is it is very, very thin - not much more than pencil thickness. I have a windy, exposed site: the tree must become stronger - quickly.

Would it help to strengthen the tree if I took 6 inches off the top of it ? Or would that stunt it for all time ?

had the very same problem last year with a gunnii
    what i done snip 3-4 inches off the top and plant it in an 5-6 litre pot and kept in a wind-sheltered spot outdoors til end of november and brought it indoors til march and the stem has more than quardupled in thickness it's sitting happily in the middle of the field and survived that ''hurricane'' we got a few weeks back.

will be doing the same with 40-50 snow gum i got recently too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I wouldn't cut it unless you want it to be a multi stem tree from the point you cut it, I would tie it carefully to a bamboo cane till it bulks up a bit. mine wasn't much bigger than yours when I got it.

I posted this in the other euc thread:

I have a snow gum (Eucalyptus Niphophylla) here in sligo, planted in 2008 and is doing fine and I noticed yesterday that it is forming flower buds for the first time (me excited!) it is aprox 12 feet tall so far and is fairly slow growing for a gum tree and it started its peeling bark thing last year. It doesn't seem to mind the exposed location its in and shrugged off the cold winters we've had and its planted in fairly soggy ground ie.18inches of peat over limestone pavement.

I had a cider gum in the garden too but it was killed stone dead by winter 10/11, so if you want to try one try a snow gum, any one else planted one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭rje66

I wouldn't cut it unless you want it to be a multi stem tree from the point you cut it, I would tie it carefully to a bamboo cane till it bulks up a bit. mine wasn't much bigger than yours when I got it.

I posted this in the other euc thread:

I have a snow gum (Eucalyptus Niphophylla) here in sligo, planted in 2008 and is doing fine and I noticed yesterday that it is forming flower buds for the first time (me excited!) it is aprox 12 feet tall so far and is fairly slow growing for a gum tree and it started its peeling bark thing last year. It doesn't seem to mind the exposed location its in and shrugged off the cold winters we've had and its planted in fairly soggy ground ie.18inches of peat over limestone pavement.

I had a cider gum in the garden too but it was killed stone dead by winter 10/11, so if you want to try one try a snow gum, any one else planted one?
    Where did you get the snow gum, mail order, nursery?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

rje66 wrote: »
    Where did you get the snow gum, mail order, nursery?
    Thanks

I got it in a garden centre in co.Roscommon not far from me, quick google search brought this up, pricey but a good size. good luck

http://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/eucalyptus-niphophylla--evergreen-snow-gum/eucalyptus_niphpd.aspx

• Advertisement
Advertisement