Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginning Fore-Arm Excercises

Options
  • 07-08-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi, I'm 17 years old and have been doing weights for a small time now.
    I have a set of dumbbells myself and use them occasionally. Recently, I've decided to take it a bit more seriously.
    I have been doing bicep curls with them and have done a few tricep curls aswell.

My biceps have become more defined alright but I can't really see any difference in my triceps, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or that I'm just being impatient.

Anyway, this thread is about fore-arm excercises. I have been wanting to try and put more weight onto my tricep curls but found it difficult, I thought then the reason might be because my other muscles aren't strong enough yet.

So I have decided that I should start off again, this time with my fore-arms. I'd like to know if anyone know's any good excercises for the fore-arms.

Also, I'd like to know how long it should take that you start to notice the difference. Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

oh arent you lucky you asked for advice at 17 and dint plough on for a few years with ****ty results like a lot of us.

Stop your "tricep curls" and faggedabout your fore arm workouts.

Google starting strength, or Max Ot training, or read any of the stickies/"pinned" threads on exercise on here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

For me barbell rows work my forearms the most, followed by deadlifts

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

Indeed i understand the desire for big forearms, and i spent ages on them, but in the end i found that deadlifts and undergripped pullups were the real deal when it came to my forearms, i stopped isolating them and they just came along naturally from other big movements!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Back when i gave a dam about direct forearm work i would load an oly bar with 60-80-100 kg and hold it from anywhere between one ant three mins,the muscles between yer fingers even grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm interested in doing some indoor wall climbing if I can get my arms strong enough to lift myself. I've been trying to do running and cycling to lose weight and pull ups to gain arm strength.

Now though, having googled a bit about the forearm, it looks like it would be important for climbing as it helps strengthen grip (hands have no muscles?? wtf).

I'm not in a gym and don't have weights at home. Anyone recommend any ways of strengthening the forearms without weights? From the basic bit I've googled, the idea of holding something heavy for as long as possible seems to be the only thing I could find so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

Slydice wrote: »
    I'm interested in doing some indoor wall climbing if I can get my arms strong enough to lift myself. I've been trying to do running and cycling to lose weight and pull ups to gain arm strength.

Now though, having googled a bit about the forearm, it looks like it would be important for climbing as it helps strengthen grip (hands have no muscles?? wtf).

I'm not in a gym and don't have weights at home. Anyone recommend any ways of strengthening the forearms without weights? From the basic bit I've googled, the idea of holding something heavy for as long as possible seems to be the only thing I could find so far.

I'd recommend having a browse through this site: http://www.dieselcrew.com/articles.php. You'll find a load of their videos on youtube aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Slydice I'm interested in doing some indoor wall climbing if I can get my arms strong enough to lift myself. I've been trying to do running and cycling to lose weight and pull ups to gain arm strength.

You could try some outdoor climbing. Depending on where you are ther eis probably a quarry close enough. Try outdoor pursuits section if your interested in climbing. If you stay low and start with a bum start you do not have to go high to get strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭POSSY

Slydice wrote: »

there is a very cheap method of doing this.

Get a broom handle (thick straight stick will also work) which you can comfortably get your hands around. Tie a thinnish rope to the middle of the stick. Get a 5/10kg weight (or as you develop as heavy as you like as long as the stick can hold it) and tie it to the end of the rope.

Hold the stick in front of you. Turn the stick so that the rope "loops" around it and the weight rises. Welcome to burn-ville! Cheap but effective!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

As mentioned all ready, deadlift, pull ups , chin ups. Your 17 best advice is loose the isolated stuff you see in men's health and learn to power, oly lift and good body weight movements.

Advertisement