Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching registration number question

• 07-08-2012 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi
    Just a question. I am a French national and I have been teaching for the past 12 years in the UK and Ireland. I have applied for the teaching registration number and received a positive answer after 1 year of battling through 3 countries' administration services. Yet, as my degree is an English degree, I have been registered as an English teacher, provided I do more modules. I understand the rules. I accept them. Still, I obtained the Qualified Teacher Status in England to teach languages. I have published a French textbook for leaving cert students through a reputable publishing company in Ireland. I know how to teach French, some say I do it very well. I was wondering if there was any way other than doing a French degree to be registered as a French teacher? I can't afford not to be employed. A headmaster to whom I had sent my CV called me to say he was very sorry he could not even give me a chance to come for an interview (as I didn't have a French degree) as he would have very much liked to have the opportunity to hire me. I am deeply unhappy about this situation. Any ideas??
    Thanks for that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Hi
    Just a question. I am a French national and I have been teaching for the past 12 years in the UK and Ireland. I have applied for the teaching registration number and received a positive answer after 1 year of battling through 3 countries' administration services. Yet, as my degree is an English degree, I have been registered as an English teacher, provided I do more modules. I understand the rules. I accept them. Still, I obtained the Qualified Teacher Status in England to teach languages. I have published a French textbook for leaving cert students through a reputable publishing company in Ireland. I know how to teach French, some say I do it very well. I was wondering if there was any way other than doing a French degree to be registered as a French teacher? I can't afford not to be employed. A headmaster to whom I had sent my CV called me to say he was very sorry he could not even give me a chance to come for an interview (as I didn't have a French degree) as he would have very much liked to have the opportunity to hire me. I am deeply unhappy about this situation. Any ideas??
    Thanks for that

A degree or 54 credits of a degree is the only route I have heard of to becoming a French teacher in Ireland though someone else may correct me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi
    Thanks for that

A degree or 54 credits of a degree is the only route I have heard of to becoming a French teacher in Ireland though someone else may correct me.

Yes musicmental85 you are correct. Did you study French at third level Frenchteacher? If you did you may be able to take some modules to address whatever shortfall you have otherwise you will have to do a full French degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Frenchteacher

no I just did a degree in English in France. Oh well, back to school then. It's never ending. I can't be employed as a French teacher from now on then? Can I apply to teach languages in private schools, grind schools? Thanks for the replies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

no I just did a degree in English in France. Oh well, back to school then. It's never ending. I can't be employed as a French teacher from now on then? Can I apply to teach languages in private schools, grind schools? Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure you could apply for English and French jobs! Not sure about private schools. I knew someone in your position who actually started the evening degree programme I did - she fought the teaching council (didn't win), gave up the course and I met her in an interview for a French position I had applied for. I don't know if she got it. It was a substitution position so schools could offer her work but if it were for hours a fully qualified teacher has to be employed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Written a LC text book ?

Fluent French National?

Grind schools the way to go for the moment I'd say. I'm surprised you havn;t tried this already.

Fee paying schools might be worth a shot..(might only get a few hours though) a few schools do the baccalaureate in Dublin if that;s any good..

Maybe just apply for the Garda Vetting anyway just so you're ready to go if you do get a job!

• Advertisement
Advertisement