Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electronic cigarettes

Options
  • 07-08-2012 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Hello everyone :) I've a quick question to ask about these. Have any of you found these effective? my mother has been trying to give them up for years, and I'd love to see her succeed. Shes in her sixties now, and she still tries but fails each time. I have told her to cut down slowly before starting this, rather than cold turkey. Am I right in saying this to her? Advice would be fantastic, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I quit using these. I used them for the first 4/6 weeks cutting down on the nicotine in them until I was vaping air :) 6 months smoke-free now :D

You know, I think it really matters on the person wanting to give them up for themselves rather than giving them up for someone else. I tried Hypnosis, Champix, inhalers, patches, cold turkey, gum but each of these attempts where from pressure from family / friends. I think any one of these would have worked had my reasons been different.

One day, it just clicks! I think maybe all the pressure finally got to me :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

there's an e-cig forum here if you want to make a thread

the giving up smoking natives tend not to look too kindly on e-cigs

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Zoria

Love2love wrote: »
    I quit using these. I used them for the first 4/6 weeks cutting down on the nicotine in them until I was vaping air :) 6 months smoke-free now :D

You know, I think it really matters on the person wanting to give them up for themselves rather than giving them up for someone else. I tried Hypnosis, Champix, inhalers, patches, cold turkey, gum but each of these attempts where from pressure from family / friends. I think any one of these would have worked had my reasons been different.

One day, it just clicks! I think maybe all the pressure finally got to me :)
    Thanks super, thanks for the info :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1497

there's an e-cig forum here if you want to make a thread

the giving up smoking natives tend not to look too kindly on e-cigs
    Oops :o Thanks for the link. I'll just bow out apologetically so :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Yeah - dirty e-smokers :D

I'll just move this one to the experts instead :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Orion wrote: »
    Yeah - dirty e-smokers :D

E-cigs are the absolute easiest way out of cigarettes.

But thus far, if they need attention, and if she can handle being around dangerous liquids ("Eh, eh?"), an eGo and a Vivi Nova 2.5 sound like the right way to go.
    Buying a few atty-heads a week, just dropping the liquid in there.
    Maybe I'm being ageist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

She doesn't need to wean off the regular cigarettes to start electronic cigarettes if that's what you mean. In fact it will be even better if she can go straight off the regular cigarettes and onto the ecig as that way she is stopping the intake of things like tar, carbon monoxide, and all the carcinogens and chemicals that are in regular cigarettes straight away.

She can however wean herself off nicotine as well with the ecig as you can get diferent strengths and some people even wean down to zero nicotine in the end and still vape electronic cigarettes.

The ecigarette usually has only Propylene glycol, vegetable glycerine, specially formulated flavouring for ecigs and nicotine in it so is seen as a safer alternative as it doesnt have the chemicals and all the rest of the ****e that's in cigarettes.

There is some very good information in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056339316 it will tell you a few of the ins and outs about electronic cigarettes and imo would be worth reading through some of it. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think it's quite simple really. If people want to quit then they should be fine to do it cold turkey. If people, like myself, don't want to quit then using something else makes it a hell of a lot easier. And e-cigarettes make it much easier than anything else.
    Isabela wrote:
    Zoria, I do not think that electronic cigarettes are a safe and effective variant for quitting smoking. Like other companies, companies that market e-cigarettes use all the strategies only to promote their product.
    I wouldn't base any decision on that article. Notice how it very deliberately avoids directly saying that there is anything bad about e-cigarettes while still managing to create the impression that there is? That's a typical tactic of tabloid journalism, ignore any actual facts and research (both good and bad), and instead use a lot of vague statements and non-committal quotes from people with impressive sounding titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Isabella, don't fall for the anti smoking propaganda.
    Stephen was very polite to you and I won't be.
    The issue isn't are ecigs safe it's how safe are they. first compared to smoking a lit cigarette? if you have to ask?
    Compared to inhaling nothing but pure mountain air? well not as safe as that.
    So far their is no evidence of any harm from any of the ingredients in ecig vapor to either the user or even remotely to other from second hand vapor.
    I could put links to research done by doctors and scientists but do your own googling.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mrplop

Isabela wrote: »
    Zoria, I do not think that electronic cigarettes are a safe and effective variant for quitting smoking. Like other companies, companies that market e-cigarettes use all the strategies only to promote their product.

Isabela,

Did you join here so you could do a bit of trolling?
    Did you know the link you posted is from an online cigarette retailer?

No one is saying they're healthy but they're certainly a lot healthier than cigarettes.

This is from one of the only medical trials conducted in New Zealand.
    Table 2.2 Tobacco specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) in the cartridge liquid of the Ruyan ® e-cigarette, November 2007
    Nicotine Sample NNN NAT NAB NNK TSNAs
    Per ID (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) (ng/cartridge) ng/cartridge
    Cartridge Observation Observation Observation Observation total
    0 mg 073277 BDL BDL NQ 0.260 0.260
    6 mg 073278 1.42 1.02 BDL 0.628 3.068
    11 mg 073279 1.83 1.36 NQ 1.01 4.200
    16 mg 073280 3.87 2.16 0.693 1.46 8.183
    Labstat 200713. Average TSNAs 3.928
    BDL = Below the limit of detection. NQ = Not quantifiable.
    TSNA = tobacco specific nitrosamines. NAB= nitrosoanabasine
    NNN= nitrosonornicotine, NAT= nitrosoanatabine,
    NNK= 4-nitrosomethylamino-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone
    Comment. 1) Tobacco-specific nitrosamines (TSNAs) were found, equal to 8 ng, in the 1
    g of liquid of the 16 mg cartridge. This amount is extremely small, equal for example, to
    the amount reported to be present in a nicotine medicinal patch. (8 ng in 1g = eight parts
    per trillion).
    2) These very small amounts traces are likely to be due to the fact that even medicinal
    grade nicotine is extracted from tobacco.

You're entitled to the view that e-cigarettes aren't safe and not an effective method for quitting cigarettes.
    Unfortunately, you're talking complete rubbish. The same levels of TSNA's found in nicotine patches (and the same levels found in particular vegtables) a forum FULL of people that don't smoke because of e-cigarettes.

Come back and post something when you've read up on the subject instead of making ill informed and ignorant remarks.

*Edit*

Here's one of Isabela's 6 other posts on Boards.ie
    When I took up cigarettes, I was smoking Glamour cigarettes, but now I smoke Marlboro Silver.

And another;

I can recommend you some brands that have the same nicotine and tar level. It is Parliament One, Winston White, Kent HD Infinia (White 1). I prefer the last variant. Kent HD Infinia as these cigarettes provide smooth smoke.

That makes you ill informed AND a total hypocrite.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Isabela wrote: »

Just for the record I'm not a company or representing a company either. I am simply a person who couldn't give up tobacco cigarettes no matter what method I tried. I smoked for 30 years and could feel myself dying slowly from them and still couldn't stop even though I knew the damage I was doing. I used to have a carbon monoxide headache constantly, bad cough, blocked nose, constant chest infections, etc, from smoking cigarettes and inhaling all the chemicals, tar and other ****e inside in them.

I can vouch that since I started on e-cigarettes over 6 months ago that my cough has totally gone, I don't get headaches anymore and I feel 1000 times healthier. I know most ecig users will say the same as I've heard and read many testaments.

I along with the majority of ecig users I know see e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and never claim them to be 100% safe as more research is needed but if you have a look at these links there are clues to what kind of research is going on and the real truth.
    http://www.allvoices.com/contributed-news/12776603-latest-studies-confirm-ecigarette-vapor-safety
    http://clearstream.flavourart.it/site/?p=712&lang=en

There are lots of opinions and propaganda around the internet and it is hard to tell what is the truth and what is not the truth most of the time. Who can people believe, the bloody government has its own interests and lies about everything anyway, as do the tobacco companies as they are worried about loosing customers and in fact 2 of the biggest american tobacco companies have recently moved into the ecigarette market.

Fair enough, people involved in ecigarettes have their own interests as well as we don't want to be forced back into smoking tobacco cigarettes but as an ecigarettes user I can tell you I will be taking my chances at inhaling a bit of food flavouring, Glycerine and Propylene Glycol and Nicotine rather than inhaling the 3000 or so chemicals that are in tobacco cigarettes.
    Surely they are better than tobacco cigarettes, even just going on how much better I feel as an ecigarette user.

I would recommend to anyone that smokes tobacco to use ecigarettes instead as a less harmful way of getting nicotine and still getting the feeling and enjoyment of smoking, especially those who like me couldn't give up smoking by any means they tried.

• Advertisement

Folks,

Don't even bother responding to Isabela's post.
    She's trolling - big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi Zoria, My Ma is in her late 70's, and few months ago we went on to vaping, now Ma did not get on great with any of the ego types. so got her the smoke green, she just has to screw on new cartridges, as she needs, she not looked back since,
    best of luck with it :)

Upon further inspection I've deduced that Isabela is a spammer that works for an online cigarette company - in every post she's made she links to sites that give helpful advice about giving up smoking, they also sell bulk cigarettes!

All of her posts were made today.

There are two companies - cigarettestime.com and mydiscountcigarette.net which look like they're probably the same company.

Apparently, she's not a very clever spammer.

*EDIT*

And all of her spam posts are gone!
    The "report" button rocks!

Advertisement