Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

To report, or not report. That is the quistion.

• 07-08-2012 8:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

So I was at a local fund raiser two days ago, in the local pub. I seen the barman (owner) serving youths alcoholic beverages. (None of their parent were at it.) Which included beer ect. The pub burned down last week. But they had a tent kinda thing in its place at the funraiser. One of the youths inparticular is sold alcoholic beverages on a regular basis. (He is in the pub every secound day.) (Im not one of them youths as im 19.:D) So should I report the owner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

What age are these "youths" roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Wouldn't bother me the slightest. You're going to look like an ould fun-spoiling curtain twitcher if you report them. Could you live with the shame?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

What age are these "youths" roughly?

Sorry forgot to include it. They were between 15 -17. There was about nine of them.

eth0 wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother me the slightest. You're going to look like an ould fun-spoiling curtain twitcher if you report them. Could you live with the shame?

I couldnt care less about the "shame". Its illegal. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

And people wonder where Ireland gets its reputation from...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I don't see that much of a problem with it myself unless all the young crowd were plastered. As a barman I always checked ID but I also grew up in an area where there was no social life outside GAA and drink so I don't think a few young lads going for pints is as bad as a bunch of teenage pregnancies around the place.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd be more concerned about a premises that burnt down was still trading. Surely there's a health and safety issue there?

So a bunch of overpaid politicians in Dail Eireann decided it was bad, doesn't mean it will actually do them any harm. I'd say you're just bitter cause nobody allowed you buy drink when you were younger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Better them in a pub than a field or street corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I'd be inclined to mind my own business.

Most teenagers' parents are aware that teenagers that age are drinking, and they would probably be much happier that their kids were drinking a sensible amount in a safe social environment such as at a local fundraiser, than downing naggins in a field somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Conchir

I think I'd get a sick kind of satisfaction from ending their fun. Not because it's wrong or illegal, but just because it would be good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why would you want to ruin their fun like that? It just sounds like you want to poke your nose in where it isn't wanted tbh. When one of the youths punches you in the face in an alcohol-fueled rage, then report it. Until then, let them have their fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

To grass or not to grass, Bubblewrap, that is the 'quistion'.............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

What's it to you? To be honest, it'd be a bit of a cuntish thing to do to report the barman.

I don't see that much of a problem with it myself unless all the young crowd were plastered. As a barman I always checked ID but I also grew up in an area where there was no social life outside GAA and drink so I don't think a few young lads going for pints is as bad as a bunch of teenage pregnancies around the place.

The owner never even asked for I.D. as he knew them well. there was a female bartender there as well. who asked for I.D. She then refused to serve them and was sent home. By the owner.

But back to your point.
    I think its an uttar disgraceful for a bartender to serve anyone under the age of 18.

Mena wrote: »
    And people wonder where Ireland gets its reputation from...

What are you blathering on about now?

I think its an uttar disgraceful for a bartender to serve anyone under the age of 18

,Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

The owner never even asked for I.D. as he knew them well. there was a female bartender there as well. who asked for I.D. She then refused to serve them and was sent home. By the owner.

But back to your point.
    I think its an uttar disgraceful for a bartender to serve anyone under the age of 18.

Did you never drink when you were under 18?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Wouldn't bother myself.

• Site Banned Posts: 41 rain10

let the lads have a few drinks your only 19 yourself ( hate to see what you'll be like when your older!!) , its not your problem so why unless someone is getting hurt/injured because of their drinking then do you care , Illegal ? seriously bigger stuff going on in this shame of a country than a group of teenagers having a drink

• Advertisement

So a bunch of overpaid politicians in Dail Eireann decided it was bad, doesn't mean it will actually do them any harm. I'd say you're just bitter cause nobody allowed you buy drink when you were younger
    I'd be inclined to mind my own business.

Most teenagers' parents are aware that teenagers that age are drinking, and they would probably be much happier that their kids were drinking a sensible amount in a safe social environment such as at a local fundraiser, than downing naggins in a field somewhere.
    Conchir wrote: »
    I think I'd get a sick kind of satisfaction from ending their fun. Not because it's wrong or illegal, but just because it would be good craic.
    Einhard wrote: »
    What's it to you? To be honest, it'd be a bit of a cuntish thing to do to report the barman.

Why is it that ye dont care? Its illegal, so I think everything the owner gets, He deserves.

But back to your point.

Ah well if she wasn't up to the job then she was in the way behind the counter. Personally if I knew the owner was okay with some of them I'd let it slide unless they were absolutely taking the piss.

It is a bit dodgy to serve someone underage alright but there's far worse things these kids could be getting up to. I just can't get myself worked up over this issue, everyone I know my own age bar maybe one or two slightly weird individuals went for the odd pint back when they were 16 and 17.

Why is it that ye dont care? Its illegal, so I think everything the owner gets, He deserves.

Can you not think for yourself at all, do you depend completely on the shower in the Dail/EU to tell you whats good and what's bad?

Profit?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Because I'm not a busybody sticking my nose where it doesn't concern me.

Also, nothing will happen. You report it, and even in the unlikely event that the Gardai do get involved, it's all be denied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭TheChizler

You're saying that she was sent home for refusing to serve to under 18 year olds? Personally I wouldn't report them for serving the odd pint as long as they weren't getting pissed or anything, but if the owner is punishing his own staff for refusing to break the law, and opening themselves (the bar staff) to prosecution, then that would be reason enough for a call from me.

Einhard wrote: »
    Also, nothing will happen. You report it, and even in the unlikely event that the Gardai do get involved, it's all be denied.

No they'll actually arrive out and harass the **** out of everyone there. They'll bag any driver they see in the vicinity for the next few hours and they will drop by to curb things like serving a few minutes late when there's a band on or that sort of thing for the next few months. I have seen this happen so many times in country and village pubs in Kilkenny that the cops actually sicken my arse. Meanwhile every second house has been broken into around me and the arsehole responsible (my neighbor) still hasn't been charged. They enforce the easy laws to pander to whingers like the OP, god forbid they'd have to commit an act of policework.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

But back to your point.

Report it. Turning a blind eye every now and again I wouldnt mind but if he's hell bent on serving kids to line his pocket then fcuk him, he has no business running a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kelly1952

as a parent of 4 lads who take a drink if we teach them early to respect drink we would have less of a problem in Ireland.

to stop people having a drink at a young age does nothing but drive them underground and they end up binge drinking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Leave em alone will ya. It can't honestly be putting you out of your way that much can it?

Also, their parents probably know that their drinking. Sixteen/seventeen is fairly common in this country, be it right or wrong.

kelly1952 wrote: »
    as a parent of 4 lads who take a drink if we teach them early to respect drink we would have less of a problem in Ireland.

to stop people having a drink at a young age does nothing but drive them underground and they end up binge drinking.

Great 1st post

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

But back to your point.

In the op you said the place was burnt down and they served from tents. Now someone legitimately refused to serve and was unfairly dismissed?

Feck that the kids are getting served, if you ain't spinning a yarn here the owner is a cowboy ted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I always thought it'd be interesting to see what would happen if certain places were allowed to serve beer, ciders and spirits to 16 year olds, with a lot tougher security restrictions (on people being drunk in the pub.) And spirits were raised to only be served to people aged 21 and up.

Growing up I was always warned against spirits. Pints and glasses of wine were fine, because they're slow drinks. Spirits you just knock back to get drunk (Although I suppose there's a few whiskey or rum aficionados in their teenage years.)

Can you not think for yourself at all, do you depend completely on the shower in the Dail/EU to tell you whats good and what's bad?

You do realise you are discussing under age drinking ? Should 15 year olds be left decide if they want to try heroin ? Issue is a 15 year isnt an adult capable of making their own decisions in relation to these things. Thats why there are laws surrounding it, and you cant just ignore them because they aint to your liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Vohnsom Hofmee

*Question asked should kids be allowed to drink alcohol on an Irish forum*

General response: "Ah sure, they'll be grand. Mind your own fecking business, children have a right to illegally harm their bodies. As long as they're in a pub, of course, and not some field..."

Shocking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

contact the Gardai .... report the guy.

the guy (if your version of events is correct) is actively breaking the law for the sake of some profit - if he told a staff member to go home because they refused to serve underage people (you would have another person who may be willing to make a complaint against the guy)

if the kids want to go drinking ...let them do it in a field and let them try to find someone else to buy them drink, pubs are for people over 18 !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

LordSmeg wrote: »
    You do realise you are discussing under age drinking ? Should 15 year olds be left decide if they want to try heroin ? Issue is a 15 year isnt an adult capable of making their own decisions in relation to these things. Thats why there are laws surrounding it, and you cant just ignore them because they aint to your liking.

I was. I chose not to drink until I was 17 and when I did it, I told my parents before hand. I had 3 pints and I came back home.

Could I have acquired drink at an earlier age? Most certainly. Same as I could have smoked, done weed or whatever.

I made the decision to wait myself, not because society said one thing or the other. Likewise I started smoking weed at the age of 18/19, as it was something I wanted to do. My decision, nobody elses.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

This country is seriously getting too nannyish.
    Leave them & the owner of the pub alone ffs.

Great 1st post

You stated you were a barman, Now would you serve drink to an underage person. To line the owners pockets?

Knex. wrote: »
    I was. I chose not to drink until I was 17 and when I did it, I told my parents before hand. I had 3 pints and I came back home.

Could I have acquired drink at an earlier age? Most certainly. Same as I could have smoked, done weed or whatever.

I made the decision to wait myself, not because society said one thing or the other. Likewise I started smoking weed at the age of 18/19, as it was something I wanted to do. My decision, nobody elses.

I'm sure you were a very intelligent kid but that doesnt change anything in regards to under age drinking. I didnt drink until I was 18 but I know others did as soon as they found a way to do it. The attitude to drinking in Ireland is that its a very good past time and the majority of people do it. So if its acceptable for a 15 year old to drink a lot of them will because they are easily influenced by the actions of adults.

The reason its illegal is the same reason a lot of other stuff is illegal at that age, 15 year old kids are not deemed developed enough to be considered an adult in their own right. You drop the age to 15, why not 14 ? 13 ? 12 ? How young is too young ?

Alcohol is a psychoactive drug and it has some serious effects on people. Its not harmless.

• Advertisement

In the op you said the place was burnt down and they served from tents. Now someone legitimately refused to serve and was unfairly dismissed?

Feck that the kids are getting served, if you ain't spinning a yarn here the owner is a cowboy ted.

Yes, everything I stated was correct. The barman dosnt give two hoots. Sure he only want the money....

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

So I was at a local fund raiser two days ago, in the local pub. I seen the barman (owner) serving youths alcoholic beverages. (None of their parent were at it.) Which included beer ect. The pub burned down last week. But they had a tent kinda thing in its place at the funraiser. One of the youths inparticular is sold alcoholic beverages on a regular basis. (He is in the pub every secound day.) (Im not one of them youths as im 19.:D) So should I report the owner?

You may as well name the Pub/Owner,as not too many pubs burn down in your locality every week im sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Report it if you think it's ethically wrong. Understand in your own mind why you think it's wrong.

The legality of it really doesn't matter.

LordSmeg wrote: »

We have a lot of laws that are there for political correctness reasons, to appease a certain Joe Duffy calling demographic and what have you.

It depends on the 15 year old. Bit of drink does most of em no harm
    You stated you were a barman, Now would you serve drink to an underage person. To line the owners pockets?

Dont think i said that but I'd make sure the owner wanted his pockets lined first

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He sent a member of staff home for refusing to serve under age punters?

The discussion ends there. Report him. The fecker deserves everything he gets. Thats a scummy thing to do. I hope she reported him herself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

The owner never even asked for I.D. as he knew them well. there was a female bartender there as well. who asked for I.D. She then refused to serve them and was sent home. By the owner

Everyone's going to think the barmaid did the reporting. Do you think she will be happy with that or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 67 ✭✭.Bob

your only 19 and your taking a hissy fit over underage drinkers? id say you were popular in school.

what 19 year old actually comes on boards.ie and asks people should he grass out underage drinkers? ta fuuuak
    I bet the barmaids shift was over, i doubt he said "hey you! serve those kids or go home begorrah!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I was in tescos one day just kinda standing around the reading the newspapers near the customer service desk while the OH was "buying stuff".

Anyway, there was a about 5 young lads stocking up on junk food, which included those tall cans of "monster" energy drink.

As soon as the kids paid and left, this other guy came from nowhere and started having a go at the customer service girl, and in doing so, caught the attention of all the other plebs like me in the general vicinity.

So he is there demanding to speak with the manager, she is like "can I help you?"

Yes, came the reply "why did you sell those kids cans of guinness? I should call the gaurds"

"Those were energy drinks" she replied much to the amusement of aforementioned plebs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Sorry forgot to include it. They were between 15 -17. There was about nine of them.

I was sitting at the bar of my local at 15.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Burn the tent down!

• Advertisement
Advertisement