Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nixers

• 07-08-2012 8:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭

Do you believe that there is something wrong with doing the odd day's work for someone when you're on the dole or that even if you're not on the dole that you should declare every small job you get a few bob for to the government to have USC & other tax taken off it?

I'd say its actually keeping a lot of people going now. There'd be a lot of people in trouble if they couldn't top up their dole a small bit or be able to get someone local to do a job for 20e when a legitimate tradesman would be wanting a 50e call-out fee because thats what he charged during the tiger.

Is there something wrong with doing nixers 161 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    19% 31 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    80% 130 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I believe their is nothing wrong with a nixer.

Of course, certain people "detest" others doing even the smallest of nixers. Moral dogooding assholes IMO. Same people would do nixers themselves but thats 'different and acceptable' when they do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

No problem with it provided the nixer isn't a 39 hour a week nixer while claiming the dole as well!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

I believe it is ok to a certain degree as in not actually running a business off it if you get me small bits I think is ok and sure most that do them are for friends or family and don't even get much for doing the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

Nothing wrong with it, most liekly you'll be spending the cash anyways so keeping it in the economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

I'm all for it. It can be very hard to get money together for interview suits, travel etc. needed for jobseeking when you're on the lower end of the dole. I was on €40 a week after I graduated. I worked in a pub when I could get a few hours until I got something suiting my education. If I didn't have that I would have been an absolute hermit for 6 or 7 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I'm unemployed and get f all from
    Dole so I make money with nixers as do most lads on the dole in a trade
    I don't think anything is wrong with it
    Your doing the work and gettin cash in hand

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

no wonder this countrys fcuked with this mindset......:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

MidlandsM wrote: »

Have you ever stepped off your high horse to think that this lad might not be able to get work and that this is not a personal choice his?

I'm not saying what he is doing is right but it might be a case of - he has no other choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's theft.

• Advertisement

Really hope the day doesn't come for you when your let go because of the way things are and that you have No bills or child like myself and can sit on your arse on the dole like some
    Me on other hand have bills and a child and was let go and I have a trade aswell and the dole is not givin me enuff to pay bills and support my child either so yes I will do nixers and live the way I am until a job does pop up

Where To wrote: »
    It's theft.

From who? Explain this one please. Who is he stealing from? The Government? How?

You can't just say "it's theft" and leave it at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

You put Atari jaguar as a poll option, how funny, lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Really hope the day doesn't come for you when your let go because of the way things are and that you have No bills or child like myself and can sit on your arse on the dole like some
    Me on other hand have bills and a child and was let go and I have a trade aswell and the dole is not givin me enuff to pay bills and support my child either so yes I will do nixers and live the way I am until a job does pop up

If you've so many bills to pay then maybe a VW Polo or a Micra would be more fitting than a sports car, a Scooby certainly wouldn't be a priority for most people in your circumstances.
    Thinkin bout gettin altezza or a scooby wagon during the summer
    I like the altezza the shape and comfort of them and quite quick but I'm lookin online and the ones for sale are lads sayin 220bhp but that's when they fresh from factory they lost loads of them horses Over the years so what brake are they now days
    I like the scooby wagons wrx loads of room for the dog and bringing campin gear huntin gear etc they fast and solid but man the juice disappears in them and can be hot cars for gettin stroked
    What would yas suggest honestly
    I hoping for either around July
    Thanks

From who? Explain this one please. Who is he stealing from? The Government? How?

He's stealing from the legitimate tradesman who can't compete with his fly by night rates.
    He's stealing from the government by fraudulently claiming welfare.
    And he's stealing from you and me whose taxes finance said welfare.

It's theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If you've so many bills to pay then maybe a VW Polo or a Micra would be more fitting than a sports car, a Scooby certainly wouldn't be a priority for most people in your circumstances.

Nobody wants the high displacement petrol engines these days so they might be cheaper than the ones you mentioned if you get one thats a bit ould

He's stealing from the legitimate tradesman who can't compete with his fly by night rates.

It's theft.

Well he ain't stealing from me. I don't even live in that cesspit of a country.

How is he stealing from the Government? He was let go, he applied for the dole, got it, it doesn't supply enough for him to live off (not surprised) - so he took it upon himself to get some extra cash by doing what he knows.

I seriously doubt that if he is offering "fly by night" rates for his services that he's taking an abundance of work from those still in employment to even warrant making a notable difference.

in that case, shut up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

How is he stealing from the Government? He was let go, he applied for the dole, got it, it doesn't supply enough for him to live off (not surprised) - so he took it upon himself to get some extra cash by doing what he knows.

I seriously doubt that if he is offering "fly by night" rates for his services that he's taking an abundance of work from those still in employment to even warrant making a notable difference.

You answered your own question???

Never going to change anyway, once seen a group of 4 lads changing from their work gear out the back of a van to go sign on before! Very funny country we live in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Would I be right in saying that the system doesnt allow for people to genuinely take short term work like nixers and declare this to the dole office/ or sign off for few short days and then get signed back on again without major hassle?

So I can understand how people do nixers to be honest...

• Advertisement

in that case, shut up ;)

I can still voice my opinion. Don't be bitter.

Started a job at that time and got ahead of myself thinkin that I'd keep it but the place closed down
    Not my fault
    Kinda makes me sick that you went into me previous threads tho
    FYI mate I do have a micra aswell

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

totally busted......yes, he's broke, and needs the cash..........TOTAL STROKER....and the ediots here getting sucked in by him and condoning him........:rolleyes:

lol...........@dodderangler......are you feeling violated that someone looked up your previous posts.......lol.....how dumbass.....

leggit wrote: »
    You answered your own question???

I don't understand how that is construed as stealing?

If you have one taxed job that pays you €400 a week and you decided to DJ on the side for a bit more, are you stealing from your job?

It's theft.
    Excuse me mate but I paid taxes in all jobs I worked in so Ive no problem takin it back but difference is that I'm not going out and purposely stayin on the dole and not ever lookin for a job
    I am looking for a job but until then I will take the dole( as little as it is) and make more money aswell
    Atb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

No issue if its an odd job here and there for mates. But if they are actually working decent hours while claiming the dole then that aint on. As another poster said its someone claiming dole while depriving someone who is employed and paying tax of work. That aint good.

I don't understand how that is construed as stealing?

If you have one taxed job that pays you €400 a week and you decided to DJ on the side for a bit more, are you stealing from your job?

OK then, let's not call it "theft", but what he does is still against the law and he'd be in a fair bit of financial bother if he ever got caught.

Funny how people do it cos they "need" the money but they'd be unbelievably screwed if they were ever caught. Unfortunately, seldom are they found out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Anyone who claims that they would live purely on the dole and refuse the option of doing some cash in hand work with a family is talking through their rear. You have a family, they come first and you do what you need to do to give them the best opportunities and life you can.

Is it morally correct in the eyes of the state? No. It it exactly what the vast majority of people would do? Absolutely. A large percentage of people who condemn it have never experienced unemployment or do not have a family of their own. I don't condone it, far from it, but spare me from those who preach that doing 15 hours cash in hand work a week is reprehensible behaviour.

Funny how people do it cos they "need" the money but they'd be unbelievably screwed if they were ever caught. Unfortunately, seldom are they found out

Some people are screwed either way. They claim the dole and the dole only, not enough. They decide to just do nixers till something comes along, not enough. Claim the dole and do nixers in the mean time, enough - but with a high risk rate.

It's lose/lose for a few.

• Advertisement

So you think that people can just live off f all money and survive?
    When before losing job they had everything and no problems but deserve to be punished altogether for being let go through no fault of their own?
    Majority of yas are talkin through your holes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever if the amount of income from the nixers isn't enough to live on alone, especially with children/other dependants. It keeps people on the dole focused and productive, which is obviously better than having feck all to do all day - something which I've no doubt the naysayers would also object to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

It's theft.

Well then we need to start from the top and show everyone what we have ruining this country oh sorry mean running:confused:

Corrupt Bankers, politicians, public sector management (the corrupt ones not all)

All these should be punished.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

There's a difference between doing a nixer & claiming dole & doing a nixer to pull a weeks wage out of it & claim.
    I know a few people that will get the odd job here & there but it wouldn't be worth their while to declare it.
    People signing off & signing back on can take weeks.

Onixx wrote: »
    Don't see anything wrong with it whatsoever if the amount of income from the nixers isn't enough to live on alone, especially with children/other dependants. It keeps people on the dole focused and productive, which is obviously better than having feck all to do all day - something which I've no doubt the naysayers would also object to.

The latest I heard was that some young lads were actually refusing the nixers because they were content with the dole money and would rather sit at home watching the olympics with a pack of crisps in hand. I know someone who has fierce trouble getting someone in to do the nixers for this reason. Not saying the dole is too much or anything because these are lads living with mammy and it wouldn't be enough for someone with bills to pay

TheBody wrote: »
    No problem with it provided the nixer isn't a 39 hour a week nixer while claiming the dole as well!!

Being honest,
    Is it really 'wrong' to do a full time job and get the dole? ...

On one hand someone can say its illegal, not contributing to the country and doesnt help us get out of recession .... on the other the government wants to tax us to death.

Truth be said everyone is out for themselves. I think life isnt fair and perhaps people are right to work the system.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Would those who object to people on the dole doing nixers have a problem with employed people doing so? E.g. an electrician who's employed by a factory sorting out an electrical fault in the neighbour's house for a few quid?

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

dodderangler

Adverts | Friends
    Dublin to Vancouver
    Hi folks I'm after gettin a job so I can afford to go over to Vancouver for 10 days to a mate of mine livin there
    Planning on September first or second week
    Well flights are extremely expensive
    Why is this so?
    Is there any 'secret' sites that do very cheap
    My mate said fly to Seattle and get a bus up which is only an hour drive and flights are little bit cheaper but I'd rather fly direct and not risk anything
    Any advice on who to go to and what website
    Also will I need a temp visa
    Thanks

At least stop trying to take the moral highground buddy.

Being honest,
    Is it really 'wrong' to do a full time job and get the dole? ...

On one hand someone can say its illegal, not contributing to the country and doesnt help us get out of recession .... on the other the government wants to tax us to death.

Truth be said everyone is out for themselves. I think life isnt fair and perhaps people are right to work the system.

:eek: You must be joking!!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Onixx wrote: »
    Would those who object to people on the dole doing nixers have a problem with employed people doing so? E.g. an electrician who's employed by a factory sorting out an electrical fault in the neighbour's house for a few quid?
    Nope.
    Those kind of jobs are rare & as you said its only for a few quid.
    Also it's kinda hard to spend large amounts of cash without getting noticed & it's just dangerous to keep large amounts of cash at home or at a business premises.
    Let's not forget if it is a nixer that the sum of money isn't going to be huge.

dodderangler

Adverts | Friends
    Dublin to Vancouver
    Hi folks I'm after gettin a job so I can afford to go over to Vancouver for 10 days to a mate of mine livin there
    Planning on September first or second week
    Well flights are extremely expensive
    Why is this so?
    Is there any 'secret' sites that do very cheap
    My mate said fly to Seattle and get a bus up which is only an hour drive and flights are little bit cheaper but I'd rather fly direct and not risk anything
    Any advice on who to go to and what website
    Also will I need a temp visa
    Thanks

At least stop trying to take the moral highground buddy.
    Freak ya are mate seriously
    FYI job didn't work out for me
    Try readin into something first before embarrassing yourself by trying to make me look like I'm Robbin the dole
    Atb

• Advertisement

So you think that people can just live off f all money and survive?
    When before losing job they had everything and no problems but deserve to be punished altogether for being let go through no fault of their own?
    Majority of yas are talkin through your holes

Sorry, had no idea your very survival was at risk! You're literally saying that your survival is in danger without supplementing your social welfare??

A hell of a lot of people survive on their social welfare and I'd hazard a guess that a few of them are in bigger holes than yourself.

I know people that work in trades full time and claim JSB/JSA, nothing that I'll do about it in terms of ratting them up but please stop trying to rationalise that what you're doing is OK, and I'm the one talkin out my hole?

TheBody wrote: »
    :eek: You must be joking!!

My point is ... life isnt fair you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Sorry, had no idea your very survival was at risk! You're literally saying that you're survival is in danger without supplementing your social welfare??

A hell of a lot of people survive on their social welfare and I'd hazard a guess that a few of them are in bigger holes than yourself.

I know people that work in trades full time and claim JSB/JSA, nothing that I'll do about it in terms of ratting them up but please stop trying to rationalise that what you're doing is OK, and I'm the one talkin out my hole?

By survival he means holiday it seems.

Ya know what
    **** this ****
    I'm glad I can make money and support my family and claim the little ****ty money that I get from the ****in dole because **** like some of you's out there with jobs Havint a ****in clue about what people out there are actually going through because they lost their job
    Atb

Ya know what
    **** this ****
    I'm glad I can make money and support my family and claim the little ****ty money that I get from the ****in dole because **** like some of you's out there with jobs Havint a ****in clue about what people out there are actually going through because they lost their job
    Atb

Fair enough, enjoy the new car search and enjoy Vancouver, hear it's lovely this time of year.

My point is ... life isnt fair you know.

I get what you are saying but it's not fair because people are taking advantage of the system. It's not something to support.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

Freak ya are mate seriously
    FYI job didn't work out for me
    Try readin into something first before embarrassing yourself by trying to make me look like I'm Robbin the dole
    Atb

Would you have any issue with walking into the social welfare office and telling them you are "only doin a few nixers" ? Im sure they would say, ah yeah dodderrangler belt away its not like youre doing anything wrong !!

As matter of fact mate when I sign on the girl does ask how the job search is goin and I say not good but kept going with some nixers bout 2or3 a week and she says least I'm keepin busy instead of sittin on me arse

I had someone from the social welfare before encouraging me to go on the dole even though I didn't need to

As matter of fact mate when I sign on the girl does ask how the job search is goin and I say not good but kept going with some nixers bout 2or3 a week and she says least I'm keepin busy instead of sittin on me arse
    Balls.

• Advertisement
Advertisement