Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nixers

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

leggit wrote: »
    Fair enough, enjoy the new car search and enjoy Vancouver, hear it's lovely this time of year.

Perhaps we are being too harsh, his life isnt easy, remember he has to decide on a colour for the car and where to make the stopover on the way to Vancouver!!

Glad I dont have those pressures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Where To wrote: »
    As matter of fact mate when I sign on the girl does ask how the job search is goin and I say not good but kept going with some nixers bout 2or3 a week and she says least I'm keepin busy instead of sittin on me arse
    Balls.
    I sign on the 15th come up with me as proof
    Hard man behind his computer

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

As matter of fact mate when I sign on the girl does ask how the job search is goin and I say not good but kept going with some nixers bout 2or3 a week and she says least I'm keepin busy instead of sittin on me arse

Pull the other one.....

Actively encouraging you to "keep busy" working for cash in hand instead of looking for full time employment, you've got a very active imagination!

The fact that you answered the question the way you did in this blatantly false scenario also makes me question your sanity!

The only thing I ever heard from the girl behind the desk is "sign here" and "you're next signing date is..."
    (yes, I was unemployed before, surprised?!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'm unemployed and get f all from
    Dole so I make money with nixers as do most lads on the dole in a trade
    I don't think anything is wrong with it
    Your doing the work and gettin cash in hand
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    no wonder this countrys fcuked with this mindset......:rolleyes:
    Really hope the day doesn't come for you when your let go because of the way things are and that you have No bills or child like myself and can sit on your arse on the dole like some
    Me on other hand have bills and a child and was let go and I have a trade aswell and the dole is not givin me enuff to pay bills and support my child either so yes I will do nixers and live the way I am until a job does pop up
    dodderangler

Adverts | Friends
    Dublin to Vancouver
    Hi folks I'm after gettin a job so I can afford to go over to Vancouver for 10 days to a mate of mine livin there
    Planning on September first or second week
    Well flights are extremely expensive
    Why is this so?
    Is there any 'secret' sites that do very cheap
    My mate said fly to Seattle and get a bus up which is only an hour drive and flights are little bit cheaper but I'd rather fly direct and not risk anything
    Any advice on who to go to and what website
    Also will I need a temp visa
    Thanks

At least stop trying to take the moral highground buddy.
    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    If you've so many bills to pay then maybe a VW Polo or a Micra would be more fitting than a sports car, a Scooby certainly wouldn't be a priority for most people in your circumstances.
    Freak ya are mate seriously
    FYI job didn't work out for me
    Try readin into something first before embarrassing yourself by trying to make me look like I'm Robbin the dole
    Atb
    Ya know what
    **** this ****
    I'm glad I can make money and support my family and claim the little ****ty money that I get from the ****in dole because **** like some of you's out there with jobs Havint a ****in clue about what people out there are actually going through because they lost their job
    Atb

This is definitely up there for the highly coveted "Best self dug hole" award. Love it :p

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Pull the other one.....

Actively encouraging you to "keep busy" working for cash in hand instead of looking for full time employment, you've got a very active imagination!

The fact that you answered the question the way you did in this blatantly false scenario also makes me question your sanity!

The only thing I ever heard from the girl behind the desk is "sign here" and "you're next signing date is..."
    (yes, I was unemployed before, surprised?!)
    To be fair I have a friend working in welfare & there's plenty of people going into her that do nixers & she knows it.
    One of them recently repainted her kitchen a few weeks ago as a nixer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

I don't understand how that is construed as stealing?

If you have one taxed job that pays you €400 a week and you decided to DJ on the side for a bit more, are you stealing from your job?

He/she should declare earnings from the DJ job as well. It is pretty simple.

Income should be taxed that is the law of the land.

He is not stealing from his job (not sure where you are comimg up with this) he is just underpaying his total tax. He benefits and by definition with less money in the system/state coffers everyone who pays their complete tax obligation is marginally worse off (as they dont benefit from undeclared earnings but will end up paying more in tax long term to make up for the tax cheats).

If more income is undeclared the people who pay their taxes will end up paying more.

Kirby wrote: »
    This is definitely up there for the highly coveted "Best self dug hole" award. Love it :p

lol, when its put like that its comical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I don't have to, I know you're making it up.

I don't have to, I know you're making it up.
    Afraid of being proved wrong mate
    It's cool you Can buy me mac Donald's after as an apology and we'll call it quits

• Advertisement

It's cool you Can buy me mac Donald's after as an apology and we'll call it quits
    I can't afford to, what with paying your dole and all.

Only if we can go through the drive-through in your new scooby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I can't afford to, what with paying your dole and all.
    Miaow!
    Saucer of milk for where to :)

Only if we can go through the drive-through in your new scooby :D
    Tell ya what il sell my 'scooby' and get an r8 and il we'll go to mac Donald's then yeah and then ya can come to Vancouver with me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,208 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I think there is alot of hypocrisy when it comes to a person against nixers.

"a nixer is wrong! you should be arrested and be made to pay and MASSIVE fine! you are no different from a common criminal!! ... now excuse me, i'm going to watch some free sky tv and if there is nothing on i will download something"

:P

"a nixer is wrong! you should be arrested and be made to pay and MASSIVE fine! you are no different from a common criminal!! ... now excuse me, i'm going to watch some free sky tv and if there is nothing on i will download something"

This post immediately reminded me of this!

Don't compare something like downloading a movie and stealing from taxpayers!

• Advertisement

It's not hypocrisy, it's just telling it how it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

I'm unemployed and get f all from
    Dole so I make money with nixers as do most lads on the dole in a trade
    I don't think anything is wrong with it
    Your doing the work and gettin cash in hand
    MidlandsM wrote: »
    no wonder this countrys fcuked with this mindset......:rolleyes:

Now dodderangler, remember, it's all your fault that the countrys fücked

It's not hypocrisy, it's just telling it how it is.

Ok.
    So a person should declare every cent they make. If they dont its wrong.

But as I was saying on the flip side its ok to download things, get free sky tv etc etc. Even tho there is VAT on them too.
    The same person who says its so wrong to do a nixer would be the same to do the above.

I dont think anyone really said anything like that.

But if someone is earning money through nixers somebody somewhere else is losing out. What if every tradesman/labourer decided he should not pay tax? Every bar owner/cafe/restaurant owner decided that they would only use cash under the counter employees etc. Do you not think this would have a negative effect on the company.

Money to pay for hospitals welfare etc has to come fromsomewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Lol. dodderangler well and truly rinsed out in this thread.

• Advertisement

dirtyden wrote: »
    I dont think anyone really said anything like that.

But if someone is earning money through nixers somebody somewhere else is losing out. What if every tradesman/labourer decided he should not pay tax? Every bar owner/cafe/restaurant owner decided that they would only use cash under the counter employees etc. Do you not think this would have a negative effect on the company.

Money to pay for hospitals welfare etc has to come fromsomewhere.

The funny this is alot of tradesmen dont declare all the earnings as it is. lol...

Aidric wrote: »
    Lol. dodderangler well and truly rinsed out in this thread.
    Like your wifes nickers

Ok.

But as I was saying on the flip side its ok to download things, get free sky tv etc etc. Even tho there is VAT on them too.
    The same person who says its so wrong to do a nixer would be the same to do the above.
    Of course. It's not a question of whether what you are doing is wrong, it's a question of whether you can admit that what you are doing is wrong.

I've done work off the books in the past also, but I don't for a second try to excuse or justify it. It is wrong, morally and legally, plain and simple.

Ok.

I know what you mean here, and most people will try and cut corners to save a few quid if they can. The problem with black labour economies is they damage legal businesses which is a double whammy for tax payers. I mean no-one i think would begrudge someone a few quid here and there, but where would the line be drawn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I was on the dole before, and its feck all really, considering the cost of living.

At the time I was working 2 days a week, with the sum of money that was taken off me by the dole office, I was coming out with just €6 more than if I wasn't working at all.

6 fcuking euro, no wonder people would prefer to just sit on the dole.

And no wonder people do a bit of work and don't declare it either. As long as its not taking the piss, then that's grand I feel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Greece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 114 ✭✭mrwhimwham

Father is a plumber back home and he finds it very hard to get work with all these people on the dole undercutting him and doing these so called "nixers".

Selfish people just looking to grab more money. Vicious cycle too!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I have oft heard of people getting a few notes off the price of a job for cash from legit tradesmen. Is this classified a nixer?

I have oft heard of people getting a few notes off the price of a job for cash from legit tradesmen. Is this classified a nixer?

Yes it most likely would be.

I was on the dole before, and its feck all really, considering the cost of living.

At the time I was working 2 days a week, with the sum of money that was taken off me by the dole office, I was coming out with just €6 more than if I wasn't working at all.

6 fcuking euro, no wonder people would prefer to just sit on the dole.

And no wonder people do a bit of work and don't declare it either. As long as its not taking the piss, then that's grand I feel.

To be fair, that doesn't leave a whole lot to be going womanizing with ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

To be fair, that doesn't leave a whole lot to be going womanizing with ....

That's exactly what I told the dole :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

Like your wifes nickers

......and thats the best you can offer you scrounger??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Koshea

Nothing wrong with it at all in my opinion.

To put a little context on it, one of my housemates is on the dole and adds to that by playing music, gigs here, there and everywhere he can, whereas I on the other hand am taxed to the gills, PAYE, USC, etc. etc.

After tax and commuting costs I come out around €50/week better than he after working 40+ hours along with 10 hours commuting. Do I blame him for taking the dole? (what a portion of my tax pays for)

hell no, he's just trying his best to make enough to live and provide for his kids.

If, I'm unfortunate as he is, and end up losing my job (touch wood this doesn't happen) I know that my tax will pay for me to look for jobs until I get another one, in that scenario, if a nixer does come along I will jump at it, as one nixer usually leads to another and further down the line maybe even a permanent job.

I presume the reason nixers are tolerated is that it does show the individual performing the nixer will do just about anything to get their foot in the door anywhere, even if that means word of mouth.

Koshea wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with it at all in my opinion.

To put a little context on it, one of my housemates is on the dole and adds to that by playing music, gigs here, there and everywhere he can, whereas I on the other hand am taxed to the gills, PAYE, USC, etc. etc. Well obviously you want your housemate to pay the bills!

After tax and commuting costs I come out around €50/week better than he after working 40+ hours along with 10 hours commuting. Do I blame him for taking the dole? (what a portion of my tax pays for) You really should considering part of the reason you're getting "taxed to the gills" is because of people like him???

hell no, he's just trying his best to make enough to live and provide for his kids. Whats with the "enough to live" argument that numerous people are spouting? He's not going to die? Plenty of people in bigger holes than him I bet.

If, I'm unfortunate as he is, and end up losing my job (touch wood this doesn't happen) I know that my tax will pay for me to look for jobs until I get another one, in that scenario, if a nixer does come along I will jump at it, as one nixer usually leads to another and further down the line maybe even a permanent job. And in that case you'll be breaking the law! Congratulations!

I presume the reason nixers are tolerated is that it does show the individual performing the nixer will do just about anything to get more money (just fixing that last part)

Let's hear some more rationalizations! Once again I'll say I know people that do this myself and wouldn't rat them up but stop trying to say it's not wrong because it most definitely is! No argument whatsoever??

Against the law, puts other people who pay their taxes in worse situations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

Have to say ive a neighbour on the dole who I asked to trim my hedge in garden last year - he's on the dole, his wife has part-time job in local town and his daughter contributes to household expenses. So, Id say income there is circa €350. He told me he couldnt do the job as he had a lot of house painting work on for a few weeks (??) + could fit me in thereafter for the price of 60 Euro for the hedge cutting.

Im working, paying bills, taxes, household charge, two sons over age of 18 not on the dole, so I am paying for their keep, ESB, Eircom, ... etc. Why dont I get cash in hand for hedge cutting + social welfare too? Its not fair ...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Eden3 wrote: »
    Have to say ive a neighbour on the dole who I asked to trim my hedge in garden last year - he's on the dole, his wife has part-time job in local town and his daughter contributes to household expenses. So, Id say income there is circa €350. He told me he couldnt do the job as he had a lot of house painting work on for a few weeks (??) + could fit me in thereafter for the price of 60 Euro for the hedge cutting.

Im working, paying bills, taxes, household charge, two sons over age of 18 not on the dole, so I am paying for their keep, ESB, Eircom, ... etc. Why dont I get cash in hand for hedge cutting + social welfare too? Its not fair ...?

Cut your own hedge and save 60 quid then make your sons pay their way. Just as good as cash in hand for hedge cutting and welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Have you ever stepped off your high horse to think that this lad might not be able to get work and that this is not a personal choice his?
    Do nixers not count as work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Eden3 wrote: »

Do you offer to do hedge cutting for anyone? Also your own fault for paying that household charge

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭breadmonster

have a neighbour selling eggs on the side must remember to report her for theft Muahhahaha
    just being sarcastic would never do such a thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35 Koshea

Let's hear some more rationalizations! Once again I'll say I know people that do this myself and wouldn't rat them up but stop trying to say it's not wrong because it most definitely is! No argument whatsoever??

Against the law, puts other people who pay their taxes in worse situations.

I see your point, yes, it is against the law, I will be the first one to admit that. But there is, unfortunately, a bit of difference in this country to what is lawfully wrong and ethically wrong.

You really should considering part of the reason you're getting "taxed to the gills" is because of people like him???

Yes I do, I'm not happy one bit about it either, I would however, be much happier (although quite grudgingly) seeing some of it go to him, or any other individual who is trying to get work/seeking out jobs/spending the 39 hours they get paid to look for jobs to actually go and look for jobs.

Whats with the "enough to live" argument that numerous people are spouting? He's not going to die? Plenty of people in bigger holes than him I bet.

The basics to live are food and shelter; €50/week rent and maybe €7.50 a day for food?
    Unfortunately we live out in the country and public transport is not an option, neither is cycling, so he needs a car to get to interviews/shopping/nixers/dole collection, it's not a necessity however so IF public transport were available let's say €20/week for public transport?

He does have twins with a partner and does pay maintenance.
    Lawfully he shouldn't have to as he is on the dole, however he does pay as ethically he deems it right to pay, as far as I'm aware it's a lot more but for arguments sake let's say €60/week?(food and shelter for his kids)

Would €13.50 cover both broadband bills and electricity bills to enable him to search for jobs?
    So 196, his expenditure equals his income.

So if nothing unforeseen came up, no funerals, births, deaths or marriages, no new clothes needed, nothing broke down/needed fixing, no inflation increasing any of his expenditure, he's happy growing a beard and long hair then yes, technically speaking he shouldn't have to do nixers. Lawfully speaking he'd have an extra €60/week to spend on the above aswell!

I am fully aware that there are a lot of people in much more dire circumstances than he, he's relatively flush compared to other people I know quite well and end up helping from time to time.

And in that case you'll be breaking the law! Congratulations!

Yes, the black and white version of it is true, I would be breaking the law and would get prosecuted by taking the extra initiative to further network to find a job.

However if we are taking the black and white route, the gigs the friend gets paid for are at the weekend, outside of the 40 hours/5 days you get dole for and do not need to be declared/get a reduced dole for.

There are aspects to both views that I agree and disagree with, it is incredibly annoying coming back to the house on a Friday after putting in 45+ hours to see him stroll out the door looking forward to a night out when I've a pot noodle (hopefully in date) and whatever RTE has on that night to look forward to. (usually at the end of the month)

But that Sunday I guarantee you he'll be asking me to proof read CVs for the coming week, over which, he'll be stressed out to the nines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DesWard24

Hello everyone,

I am a cabinet maker by trade but have not had much work in recent months. I have begun to get some small buts of work, kitchen cabinets and TV units etc..

My question is: does anyone know if there is anywhere I can go and make the cabinets? Like a workshop set up for cabinet makers that you can use all the machines and pay a fee for using them.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

DesWard24 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I am a cabinet maker by trade but have not had much work in recent months. I have begun to get some small buts of work, kitchen cabinets and TV units etc..

My question is: does anyone know if there is anywhere I can go and make the cabinets? Like a workshop set up for cabinet makers that you can use all the machines and pay a fee for using them.

Thanks

The cost of insurance for something like that in this country would be astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Really hope the day doesn't come for you when your let go because of the way things are and that you have No bills or child like myself and can sit on your arse on the dole like some
    Me on other hand have bills and a child and was let go and I have a trade aswell and the dole is not givin me enuff to pay bills and support my child either so yes I will do nixers and live the way I am until a job does pop up

Why can't you write "enough" instead of "enuff"...same amount of letters. So irritating. Why don't you have a job? Kind of obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

Arpa wrote: »
    Why can't you write "enough" instead of "enuff"...same amount of letters. So irritating. Why don't you have a job? Kind of obvious.

Hope you're not an Accountant.;)

Advertisement