Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neck Tattoos

• 07-08-2012 8:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

Is it me or is this a growing phenomenon?.... the amount of lads i see with tattoos on their neck is really on the increase.... i've nothing against tattoos but some of them are horrible looking... at least if you got a ****ty looking one on your arm you can cover it up!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Focking skoobies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Whatever about a shít tattoo, there's nothing worse than a hickie. Jesus, I'd nearly get a tattoo just to cover one up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Can't ya cover them up with a polo neck sweater?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

If you turn up for a job interview with a neck tattoo, its going to seriously decrease your chances of getting the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Tattoos are skanky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I'd automatically think "****in knacker" if I seen someone with a tattoo on their neck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nothing says classy like a neck tattoo of a little teardrop with a girl's name inside spelled with a 'y' where there should be an 'i'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Depends where on the neck tbh. I have one on the back of mine (can be covered by a shirt collar and is small and tasteful). Tatts on the side of the neck (or anywhere that can't be hidden by a collar) are pretty rough looking though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

There was this girl in work with a sexy tatoo on the back of her neck. Every time she walked by I wanted to lick it....

(So depends on the tat and person, IMO)

A guy who used to train in the gym I go to had a hand grenade tattoo on his neck, 'twas not a small tattoo either. Very nice lad though in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

What exactly about a neck tattoo makes them "rough looking" or "skanky"? Surely if a neck tattoo is "rough looking" or "skanky" then all tattoos are "rough looking" or "skanky"?

Personally, I love tattoos but each to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

"Gang" wannabees. Come to the US and see some really scary facial tats. I like the "see who got arrested" section of our local news station for the latest fashions in 'thug life'. Here's some local 'talent'...

http://www.koat.com/image/view/-/15960848/medRes/1/-/maxh/358/maxw/538/-/nani2j/-/Christopher-Perez-1-26-1981-jpg.jpg
    Demons are a local gang.

http://www.koat.com/image/view/-/15960854/medRes/1/-/maxh/358/maxw/538/-/t49oq8/-/Johnny-Valencia-6-2-1984-jpg.jpg
    "Pewtown" is Pueblo, CO

http://www.koat.com/image/view/-/14747574/medRes/1/-/maxh/358/maxw/538/-/uama58z/-/Martin-A--Sanchez-01-06-1987-jpg.png

http://www.koat.com/image/view/-/12151250/medRes/1/-/maxh/358/maxw/538/-/dutjpjz/-/Steve-Baca-jpg.png
    (Only God Can Judge Him apparently, up before the Judge next week!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Surely if a neck tattoo is "rough looking" or "skanky" then all tattoos are "rough looking" or "skanky"?

Yep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Cowboys ted
    Flipping cowboys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

If you're going to get a tattoo you should get something classy like this.

• What exactly about a neck tattoo makes them "rough looking" or "skanky"? Surely if a neck tattoo is "rough looking" or "skanky" then all tattoos are "rough looking" or "skanky"?

Personally, I love tattoos but each to their own.

They just are. Generally, I don't mind tattoos but neck tattoos make you look cheap and skangery, IMO. Most people I've met with them have been total scobes/gang members. Maybe part of it is that they can't really be hidden, so anyone who ever wants to get a 'respectable' job can't have one. Like hand tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I have my hands tattooed. Keeps prissy ****wads and/or their kids from sitting anywhere near me on public transport.

I am considering getting my neck tattooed. I haven't decided yet, though I will be avoiding the front for sure. Not because it is too full on, but because it seems to me that irish women are terribly susceptible to turkey-neck...

They just are. Generally, I don't mind tattoos but neck tattoos make you look cheap and skangery, IMO. Most people I've met with them have been total scobes/gang members. Maybe part of it is that they can't really be hidden, so anyone who ever wants to get a 'respectable' job can't have one. Like hand tattoos.

My boyfriend is a well respected businessman and is covered in tattoos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Off with their heads.

I have my hands tattooed. Keeps prissy ****wads and/or their kids from sitting anywhere near me on public transport.

I am considering getting my neck tattooed. I haven't decided yet, though I will be avoiding the front for sure. Not because it is too full on, but because it seems to me that irish women are terribly susceptible to turkey-neck...

Yeah I wouldn't mind something on the side of my neck but the front is something I've only seen men well able to carry off as they get older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

that boxer michael conlon has a neck tattoo...it looks like rosary beads?

Yeah I wouldn't mind something on the side of my neck but the front is something I've only seen men well able to carry off as they get older.

pfft. as if anyone thinks any woman can carry off anything as she gets older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I heard a lad in a pub say that "a neck tattoo basically means you will never earn more than minimum wage"

pfft. as if anyone thinks any woman can carry off anything as she gets older.

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

mfceiling wrote: »
    I heard a lad in a pub say that "a neck tattoo basically means you will never earn more than minimum wage"

while i dont totally agree with this i do think it really fcuks up a lot of future employment opportunities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

whatever about tattoos on other parts of the body on the neck is a sign of a scumbag

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

RoverJames wrote: »
    A guy who used to train in the gym I go to had a hand grenade tattoo on his neck, 'twas not a small tattoo either. Very nice lad though in fairness.

Heath from home and away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I think they look cool, but I wouldn't get one 'cause the lack of job opportunities as a result of it.

What?

I mean women are judged very harshly as they get older regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I would love a full, all 'round neck tattoo - like the rapper Yelawolf. You can see them at 1:44 in this video: . Not those exact ones - just that level of coverage.

Yes, given that I can't skate, play guitar or rap, I would be concerned for my job prospects after getting them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Men with them on the side of there necks look like there branded and are horrible,Some women have lovely ones on the nape of there neck and are easily hidden if they want,there nice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

leggit wrote: »
    I'd automatically think "****in knacker" if I seen someone with a tattoo on their neck!

I don't like neck tatts but your statement is kinda ridiculous so someone who got a tattoo stupidly 20 years ago is a nacker :rolleyes:

I would never encourage anyone to get one but people who look down on people with neck tatts are twats themselves.

leggit wrote: »

There are people who would think "****in knacker" if you said "I seen", you realise that right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

mfceiling wrote: »

Well then hes a clown. What about tattoo artists who earn more in a week than most people earn in a month?

And there is a difference in getting a girls name on the side of your neck and something like this mikes_neck.jpg

I mean women are judged very harshly as they get older regardless

Ah okay, get you now.
    Melion wrote: »
    Well then hes a clown. What about tattoo artists who earn more in a week than most people earn in a month?

And there is a difference in getting a girls name on the side of your neck and something like this mikes_neck.jpg

Beat me to it. Many prominent artists around the country, who are internationally renowned, and have probably already earned more than most will in their lifetime.

• Advertisement

• My boyfriend is a well respected businessman and is covered in tattoos.

And how common it that? Not very. Most people looking for professional jobs will be turned away at the first sight of a neck tattoo. I'm not against tattoos - most of my workmates have them, many have full sleeves and stuff done on their hands, but there aren't many industries, IMO, where that's acceptable.

Personally, I dislike neck tattoos. I just hate how they look and only a handful of times have I seen one on someone who wasn't an absolute knacker.

And how common it that? Not very. Most people looking for professional jobs will be turned away at the first sight of a neck tattoo. I'm not against tattoos - most of my workmates have them, many have full sleeves and stuff done on their hands, but there aren't many industries, IMO, where that's acceptable.

Personally, I dislike neck tattoos. I just hate how they look and only a handful of times have I seen one on someone who wasn't an absolute knacker.

I responded to your post where you said "anyone", you didn't say "most people" originally.

I am sorry, I just really can't stand how people are about this.

I am a tattoo artist. I talk people out of, and generally refuse to do, tattoos on the front/sides of the neck, the hands, the face and the fingers. I lose a lot of money every week by doing that.

Getting these tattoos is demonstrably terrible idea, for everybody. End of ****ing story.

To believe otherwise is naive, hippy nonsense. Your earning ability will drop. You will be dealt with more harshly by the law. A large portion of the opposite sex will write you off instantly. There will be countries in which it would be ill-advised to travel. Tattoos on the neck age badly because of the constant exposure to light. For everybody.

There is no tasteful/dainty/feminine/discreet/easily hidden/small/simple/meaningful/classy/clever that will change ANY of those consequences. Things might change one day, but as of right now, it is an immensely bad idea.

BUT

It is incredibly patronising to assume that these people are too stupid to know this. They are aware of what it makes people think, and they are rejecting it visually. They have their own, perfectly valid aesthetic, and being harsh, stark and rough is part of it.

The fact that people think "stupid knacker" only shows that they don't know how tattooing works or that people with less money than they do don't think about their lives. **** that. Seriously.

Getting these tattoos is demonstrably terrible idea, for everybody. End of ****ing story.

Don't agree with you there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭Alpish

Professor Green the English rapper has a neck Tattoo saying 'lucky'. He got it after he was bottled in the neck :eek:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346887/Broken-bottle-attacker-rap-star-Professor-Green-jailed-years-stabbing.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

boardie100 wrote: »
    Is it me or is this a growing phenomenon?.... the amount of lads i see with tattoos on their neck is really on the increase...

*peers through curtains*

*purses lips*

Don't agree with you there.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I see it a lot more than you do and I amn't just informed by my own experience, but from talking to hundreds and hundreds of tattooed people. It's the number one topic of conversation in my life.

Tattoos are NOT just for you, that is why they are on the outside. You cannot escape the consequences stemming from other people's perceptions. Or predict them well enough to make a very informed choice to get one.

It is a bad idea.

Now, some people feel they want to live their life as a bad idea. Some times it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It is still a bad idea

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Love neck tattoos on a guy, never really see them on a girl though unless its the back of her neck, I dont understand why people see it as scummy etc, live and let live:pac:

• Sorry, but a lot of people ARE just naive and haven't thought about the consequences. I teach teenagers and every other week there's another kid with a hand/finger tattoo. Some of them are already regretting them at 17 or 18 and I don't think it's patronising to suggest that the rest will as well once they get out into the real world. Making a choice to look a certain way and accepting that this choice will seriously affect your future is fine, but a hell of a lot of people do not think this through. Not all tattoo artists are as ethical as you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Tattoo's whether on the neck or any other part of the body for that matter makes a person look cheap imo.Yeah sure they might think it's looks good for the first few years but when you're 40 or 50 they will look pretty stupid.

Sorry, but a lot of people ARE just naive and haven't thought about the consequences. I teach teenagers and every other week there's another kid with a hand/finger tattoo. Some of them are already regretting them at 17 or 18 and I don't think it's patronising to suggest that the rest will as well once they get out into the real world. Making a choice to look a certain way and accepting that this choice will seriously affect your future is fine, but a hell of a lot of people do not think this through. Not all tattoo artists are as ethical as you.

Oh, I know, that is why I don't do the tattoos. But when people look down on certain sorts of tattoos as "knackery", the position/style/content is frequently cited as the issue, as if the wearer doesn't realize this.

You are entitled to your opinion. I don't mean to be a jerk, but I see it a lot more than you do and I amn't just informed by my own experience, but from talking to hundreds and hundreds of tattooed people. It's the number one topic of conversation in my life.

Tattoos are NOT just for you, that is why they are on the outside. You cannot escape the consequences stemming from other people's perceptions. Or predict them well enough to make a very informed choice to get one.

It is a bad idea.

Now, some people feel they want to live their life as a bad idea. Some times it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It is still a bad idea

How exactly have you drawn that conclusion?

I think it is foolish when people make statements involving the words "everybody" when nobody can really make a claim so absolute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Don't think too much of most neck tattoos I've seen

However, there seems to be an awful lot of really, really sh1t tattoo artists in the country. In the wee town near me there are three tattoo parlours and the quality of their work is absolutley appalling.

How exactly have you drawn that conclusion?

I think it is foolish when people make statements involving the words "everybody" when nobody can really make a claim so absolute.

I gave a clear list of consequences, as recounted by huge cross-section of tattooed people of different ages, social class, nationalities, careers, and cultures.

Unless you think I am lying. Why would I lie? Why would I say things that are bad for business? Why would I turn down considerable money every day?

I gave a clear list of consequences, as recounted by huge cross-section of tattooed people of different ages, social class, nationalities, careers, and cultures.

Unless you think I am lying. Why would I lie? Why would I say things that are bad for business? Why would I turn down considerable money every day?

That still doesn't encompass "everybody". Nobody can make an absolute claim regardless of how many ages/social classes/careers/cultures they have encountered.

• Advertisement
Advertisement