Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser 2000 Racing?

Options
  • 07-08-2012 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Is there any laser 2000 racing in Ireland? I haven't had any luck in finding anything, so it probably doesn't happen, but I thought I'd take a last stab and make a thread.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

I think I have seen them race in Skerries and Dun laoghaire.
    Give these guys an Email http://www.laser-ireland.com/ they will be able to sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dillonbrannick

I sent an email, so I'll post the details here if I get any, for other people who might want to race them.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭gonzo1

Hi OP, Not sure where you are based, but I am a member of a sailing club in the West of Ireland, we have 3 Laser 2000's with a chance of increasing this number,

PM if you want any more details if the location suits....

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dillonbrannick

Where exactly? it may be possible to travel. Plus other people living in the west might find this thread, so you should post the name of your sailing club.

We live in Dublin and travel to Wexford quite often, but I don't think there will be anything in Wexford.

Also as I thought the laser association was just for standard lasers, but they told me to email Dublin Bay Sailing Club, which I did, and I'm now awaiting a reply.

It's in East Co. Clare, http://www.cullaunsailingclub.com/news.php

It's a small but very active Dinghy Sailing Club on a beautiful Lake,

Mostly Mixed Dinghy Fleet,

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Where exactly? it may be possible to travel. Plus other people living in the west might find this thread, so you should post the name of your sailing club.

We live in Dublin and travel to Wexford quite often, but I don't think there will be anything in Wexford.

Also as I thought the laser association was just for standard lasers, but they told me to email Dublin Bay Sailing Club, which I did, and I'm now awaiting a reply.

We have one lonely L2000 in Swords Sailing Club in Malahide - on Broadmeadows Estuary and I know the owner would love to have some more L2000 competition ....

ATVB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laser2000

Sorry I only came across this thread today. We have an active Laser 2000 fleet in CLYC on Carlingford Lough. In the past we have had UK boats come across for our 2000 regatta. We have a fleet of nine boats of which 4 to 5 race regualarly.

We are keen to promote the fleet in Ireland. The Laser 2000 Class in the UK have given us an Irish National Trophy. I would suggest that membership of the UK class association is very worth while at a cost of £15. Lots of tips on how to go fast on their site.

I know we have a few boats that would love to get an Irish circuit going

See the link below for lots of info about the 2000

http://www.laser2000.org.uk/

laser2000 wrote: »
    See the link below for lots of info about the 2000

http://www.laser2000.org.uk/

Hi Again, are you a rep for the Laser 2000 in Ireland, I've just sent you a PM to get more details if you are:p

Hi
    sorry I am not a Laser 2000 but just a sailor in CLYC
    I do know some of the guys in the UK Class Association

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

Most sailing clubs offer a mixed fleet handicap series under Portsmouth Yardstick, or similar handicapping systems. I would suggest you join your local sailing club and race regularly under their system. Even if you are the only L2000 you'll soon establish what boats you need to beat, and by how much. Do the nationals every year (some classes also offer regional events) if you want to race against more boats of a similar class. But forget about traipsing across the country every weekend just because some other club 50 miles away has similar boats. You'll very soon tire of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Talent

A slight correction FergalB's earlier post. There are no L2000 in Skerries at present although there is a single LAser Stratus.

Advertisement