Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Was Peig a work of fiction?

• 07-08-2012 9:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

Someone at work the other day said that Peis Sayers story was part fiction, that she never left the mainland and the the story was based around other people's experiences. Has anyone else ever heard this?

I busted my ass studying Peig for the Junior cert many years ago, feeling sorry for the woman. I feel crushed.:(

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

No, not fiction, she is well documented as living on the Great Blasket. She was a whinge though and not too well liked.For dignity in the face of hardship, An t-Oileánach is a much better read.

Edited to add, never felt sorry for her, she did more to turn people off Irish than the "tally stick"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It was a work of pure ****e.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

50 Shades of Peig

Now there's a stomach churner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭kevin65

50 Shades of Peig

Now there's a stomach churner.

Please don't do that, I just had my dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Not fiction at all, she really was a total moany auld b*tch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Fiction or not, it was the biggest load of bollocks I ever had the misfortune of having to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

What's a Peig?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭Jenroche

You couldn't have made up the litany of moaning and complaining that was her life. I hate that woman for the two years I had to spend studying that bloody book. She has to be one of the most hated women in Ireland. Who the hell decided that book was suitable for the Irish school curriculum? I want to hunt them down and do painful things to them! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Guill wrote: »
    What's a Peig?

Clothes Peig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

She was a ride though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

Thankfully I was allowed to give up studying Irish and was allowed by the teacher to read anything apart from comics so whilst my classmates had to suffer at the hands of Peig Sayers I was reading Stephen King's The Stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    It was a work of pure ****e.

stop insulting ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

The idiots that tried to revive the Irish language by ramming that shi*e down school kids necks. It must be the worst drivel ever written.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Quentin Tarantino presents Peig Fiction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

The_Thing wrote: »
    Thankfully I was allowed to give up studying Irish and was allowed by the teacher to read anything apart from comics so whilst my classmates had to suffer at the hands of Peig Sayers I was reading Stephen King's The Stand.

Same here except I had to do other school work. Thankfully I never had to suffer through Peig like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

so whilst my classmates had to suffer at the hands of Peig Sayers I was reading Stephen King's The Stand.

All your classmates read a horror book, while you read Stephen King. :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Never came up for my Leaving Cert . Somehow avoided it.

There are clearly fans though given you can go here to peigbonkers.ie buy Peig t-shirts.
    Odd..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭D1stant

Guill wrote: »
    What's a Peig?

Peig was Eamonn Dunphy's granny. Good granny, not a great granny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I was doing the maths earlier on, admittedly after having a few beers, but:

I spent 36 weeks a year at secondary school. And two hours a week doing Irish. So 72 hours of Irish over two years.

Now, discouting the poety and prose and abotu one thrid of that was on Peig.

So 24 hours. A full day. That is a day of my life I waill NEVER get back. NEVER.

The also say that smoking a cigarette takes 5 minutes off your life.

So there you have it: studying Peig had the same effect on my late teenage life as smoking 288 cigaretts.

Bitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

She broke my heart that hag.

I will NEVER forget her.

:(((((

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I honestly always thought of Peig as our Delores Claybourne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Quentin Tarantino presents Peig Fiction.

I'd pay to see that.....especially if some drug-crazed psycho riddled Peig with bullets at the end. Imagine the cheers in the cinema here if that happened :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

By any standards a weird book. A totally encyclopaedic memorisation of the early part of her own life down to minute details about what she ate, when sick, her dreary school days ; followed by ... Oh I married, had ten children, half of em died, one lad fell of a cliff , all in a paragraph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭Melanoma

This book was so boring. I mean I was like a bit nerdy and tried my best to be interested in everything. Not great at languages though. I just felt like they choose a book to emphasise how great we have it now, but forgot that people might just associate the Irish language with desolation, the past.. a terrible past and the effort of understanding rewarded by a most uninspiring biography.

FanadMan wrote: »
    I'd pay to see that.....especially if some drug-crazed psycho riddled Peig with bullets at the end. Imagine the cheers in the cinema here if that happened :D

I vaguely remember a scene where some idiot blew himself up by intentionally dropping a lit match into a barrel of parafin to see how muc was left. That would make damn good cinema.

Although my chosen director would have to be Eli Roth.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Peig herself was illiterate and so she had to dictate her story to her son, Mícheál Ó Guithín, who was editor of the final piece of work.

It has been suggested that he edited parts of the story to suit his own agenda (parts of the story not included, other parts put in a different order, extra emphasis put on suffering, etc). There would also have been elements that the narrator might not have wanted to disclose to her own son.

As such it's not a true auto-biography, but neither is it a work of fiction. It's funny in a way. Similarly enough Tomás Ó Criomhthain's book, An t-Oileánach, and Muiris Ó Súilleabhán's Fiche Bliain Ag Fás, while written by the hands of their authors, could still be criticised as being not entirely honest portrayals of life on the Great Blasket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,298 ✭✭✭Duggys Housemate

I think the Islander sounds far more interesting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I vaguely remember a scene where some idiot blew himself up by intentionally dropping a lit match into a barrel of parafin to see how muc was left. That would make damn good cinema.

Although my chosen director would have to be Eli Roth.

I've seen the spot where that house used to stand in Dún Chaoin. It's mentioned in a few other books as well. A tragedy locally, but an interesting little story all the same! :)

I've seen the spot where that house used to stand in Dún Chaoin. It's mentioned in a few other books as well. A tragedy locally, but an interesting little story all the same! :)

You and I must have different definiteions of the word "interesting"!

• Advertisement

You and I must have different definiteions of the word "interesting"!

It's always interesting when a family is blown up in their own home. Amongst other things, obviously.

It's always interesting when a family is blown up in their own home. Amongst other things, obviously.

Don't remember that bit - but it's possible. Still, a story in which a family being blown up in their own home fails to get a teenager's attention is not doing it;s job.

Don't remember that bit - but it's possible. Still, a story in which a family being blown up in their own home fails to get a teenager's attention is not doing it;s job.

I think it's only mentioned in passing in Peig, to be fair to you. Probably a reference to the funeral or something. I read it last summer and forgot most of it straight after. :pac: A walking tour on the Dingle Peninsula is where I got most of that story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No just Darwin in action.

Nearest I ever heard me mother swear was talking to her about Peig

Suffice to say as a native speaker from Kerry she didn't have one good word to say about the book, or the fools in Dublin who put it on the curriculum.

So which book do modern teenagers burn in a ritual kind of way after the leaving

it was 2001 when i did my LC, we did an irish book about some fella who moved to the states. or was it england? one of them anyway :rolleyes: no peig

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭LoYL

So which book do modern teenagers burn in a ritual kind of way after the leaving

Lol. Effort. Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

the irony, people going on and on about peig being about bitching and moaning your life away..

spend 5 minutes in afterhours and you would think you are in the book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Striapach ab ea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

was more a case of non fiction than fiction. did it in 1985.

Advertisement