Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best flies this time of year on wild trout lake

Options
  • 07-08-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

thinking of hitting the local lake with the fly rod but no idea what flies to use, daddy's ? grasshopper? muddlers? the odd mayfly is still popping up on lough ree i noticed today, but i know there not feeding on them itchin to throw a fly might get up 2moro or friday....

was trolling today with my daughter,plenty of fish :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

bayliner wrote: »
    thinking of hitting the local lake with the fly rod but no idea what flies to use, daddy's ? grasshopper? muddlers? the odd mayfly is still popping up on lough ree i noticed today, but i know there not feeding on them itchin to throw a fly might get up 2moro or friday....

was trolling today with my daughter,plenty of fish :D

For me this time of the year is all about evening hatches of buzzers, it's different for different lakes though and I've never fished Lough Ree before..

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

just been told daddys or grasshopper may work :D.... could ya fish a buzzer or 2 under a daddy? not an expert as you no doubt have realised by now :D

just been told daddys or grasshopper may work :D.... could ya fish a buzzer or 2 under a daddy? not an expert as you no doubt have realised by now :D

Dont see why not. The style for the two flies would be different but unless you're targetting rising trout I don't think it'll matter too much. I'd suggest something smaller than a daddy though, maybe a sedge pattern?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

viper123 wrote: »
    Dont see why not. The style for the two flies would be different but unless you're targetting rising trout I don't think it'll matter too much. I'd suggest something smaller than a daddy though, maybe a sedge pattern?
    yeah cheers for that, i've got plenty of those too, black or brown? or both?:D.... i never fish more than 2 flies, i find for me its enough, knots would be the reason behind that theory ha ha

yeah cheers for that, i've got plenty of those too, black or brown? or both?:D.... i never fish more than 2 flies, i find for me its enough, knots would be the reason behind that theory ha ha

Nearly always black or green, depends on the predomanent fly colour. The lakes I fish in in the west are always black.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Perch fry imitation should yield some results

Advertisement