Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A receipt for a deposit?

Options
  • 07-08-2012 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Hi guys I was just wondering what sort of receipt should I be getting after paying a deposit for renting a house? What should one contain/look like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

should be listed on your lease - you signed a lease right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

No, I'm going to see the property for the first time tomorrow and was planning on paying a deposit straight away if it was what I wanted. I live +6 hours away from the place so I'm hoping I can get it sorted in just the one day of being there. So the lease acts as a receipt then? Sorry for so many newbie type questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

The lease is a legal document setting out all the terms and rules etc, I've signed leases at 3 different properties and they've always included a record of the deposit amount near the front or back of the document.

Make sure to read through the lease as it should only take you a few mins, just to check there's nothing crazy in there.

If you're very happy with it then they may take the deposit off you then and there but I've never paid over a deposit on a first viewing. Agreed to take my first place on first viewing and after a quick bit of negotiation arranged to meet him a few days later to sign, so not quite sure what's best advice for you.

No problem with noob questions, we were all new to this the first time too! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭miller50841

Give a deposit and pay through your bank so you have a paper trail.

Make sure you get a receipt for amount handed over e.g €100.
    Don't rush into it I did and the place looked alright till we were there a month and it was damp and covered in mould.

Take pics also if taking it.

Advertisement