Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell - Long Haired - Grooming

• 07-08-2012 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Any advice would be appreciated!

I have two wired hair JRT’s at home. The male is a real wire haired, not short, but not too long either. Great coat, not much shedding from him at all.
    No the bitch is a different story. I made the stupid mistake of washing her in human shampoo over the last 6 months and her fur as gone so dry and fluffy! She is a much longer haired type than the mail, white body and brown face.

I did have her at the groomers before, but for cost saving I would like to give her coat a clip, thin out and try and bring it back.

Any recommendations regarding shampoo?

Anyone us the dry shampoo as I would like to keep her washes to a minimum which I try and bring the coat back?

Also, I have read a lot about stripping combs, any use them?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

johsons no tangles is great for the coat and lasts ages, smells lovely too ;)

I have a wire hair terrier and I prefer to hand strip her, I find it more efficient than a stripping knife which can pull out the soft under coat sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 4 dog minder

The furminator de-shedding tool and furminator shampoo has done wonders for my Jack Russell. He used to shed a lot but since using this it has improved dramatically. The tool is expensive but can be found on ebay cheaper than in the pet shop.

Have you tried adding salmon oil to your dogs food? Once a day and you should see the dryness clearing up and which will also reduce shedding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I use a mixture of a slicker, furminator, and stripping knife on Tegan. I'm sorely tempted to get a clipper to her one day.

Advertisement