Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charleville Half Marathon Sept 23rd 2012

Options
  • 07-08-2012 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Entries Now Open for The Flattest, Straightest Half-Marathon in Ireland !

Details & Entry on New Website : http://www.charlevillehalf.com/

Contact Details :
    Race Director, Michael Herlihy, Tel 086 3168954
    email : charlevillehalf@gmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BringBackSocky

Just wondering, will the catering at the half marathon be as yummy as last year's?

Also, can I register on the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Imagine that, a race being advertised as being flat!! I'm there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

eliwallach wrote: »
    Imagine that, a race being advertised as being flat!! I'm there.

It seems pretty flat http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/ireland/charleville/41614236
    Not as flat as Kildare http://www.mapmyrun.com/s/routes/view/run-jog-map/ireland/kildare/92126715
    but looks comparable to waterford half http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/5528462
    or newry http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/2253095

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

rom wrote: »

Was only recommended this race during the week from one the lads who did it last year and said you won get a flatter one around

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Last Year's catering team will be a hard act to follow, but plans are being put in place to put on another good post-race spread. It may prove a bit more challenging due to the expected increase in the number of runners this year.

Yes, you can register on the morning of the race for €35. Come at 08:30AM to avoid the queue and to avoid holding up the Start. Cutoff time will be 09:30AM sharp. Alternatively, you can register at Charleville Park Hotel on the day before the race for €30 from 3PM to 9PM.

Check the website for further details and updates.
    http://www.charlevillehalf.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 BringBackSocky

Thanks Red, how many are ye expecting this year?
    Last year, there were plenty of martials, but I don't think that number could handle a big increase in numbers.
    Will you have more martials?

There should be plenty of Marshalls, as directed by the local Garda.

Regarding the "Flatness" of the course ---- It's pretty Flat all right.
    It has only a 37m Gain per MapMyRun compared to 46m for Kildare, 50m for Waterford and 54m for Newry. The scale on the map profile does not really show the detail. There is one humpback bridge over the railway line at the 1.5 to 2 mile mark and there's a very slight pull back to Charleville for the last mile, but it's hardly noticeable.

Redtop: are you a punter or the event organizer,just wondering ?

Rom, I am helping out the organiser who asked me to start this Post and I will most likely be marshalling for the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Raven Runner

What International athletes are expected to run I'm assuming Sergiu Ciobanu will be there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Ram this last year and its flat as a pancake. Also grub was top class afterwards as well. In general a very well run event.

@Redtop

The start area last year was a bit congested. If there is a big increase in numbers it will become a serious issue. It might be worth starting it along the road where it will be wider and eliminate the turn out of St Josephs.

This year's Start will be in front of the NCT on Baker's Road, about 400m up from the gate of St. Joseph's. It will be a wide and straight start along the full length of Baker's Road down to the right hand turn on the road to Kilmallock.

I will try to attach a picture - hopefully it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

I signed up for this last week. I ran it last year and it was my favourite race of the whole year.
    It's well organised, good value for money and a great chance of a PB over the distance.

What International athletes are expected to run I'm assuming Sergiu Ciobanu will be there?

I heard from a reliable source that he is planning on racing the Charleville Half Marathon. A full list of Elite Athletes that are racing will be released closer to the event, once they are fully confirmed.

Today is the last day to qualify for the Low Race Entry Fee of €25. From tomorrow, it goes up by €5.
    50% of the runners we surveyed prefer a Low Race Entry Fee without T-Shirt or Medal so we are accomodating them.
    They felt that they had enough T-Shirts from other races and were not interested in a medal unless it was their first Half Marathon.
    For those who want a T-Shirt or Medal, they are asked to pay €5 each when registering.

Really looking forward to this one now. Will there be pace bands at the start or waves as it looks like its going to have much more than last year. Are the numbers up a lot on last year. Hope the grub afterwards is a good as reports from last year ;)

Once we have the final numbers confirmed, we will decide what's the best way to start, but it would be recommended that faster runners move towards the front behind the elites and slower runners & joggers stay towards the back for obvious reasons. We plan on having pacers, like we did last year. We are working on a catering plan to accomodate a larger number of runners.

Redtop wrote: »
    Once we have the final numbers confirmed, we will decide what's the best way to start, but it would be recommended that faster runners move towards the front behind the elites and slower runners & joggers stay towards the back for obvious reasons. We plan on having pacers, like we did last year. We are working on a catering plan to accomodate a larger number of runners.

Would it be possible to give an update on registered numbers on the week of the race please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

ChampionChip Ireland are the timer for the race again this year and will have mats at the start so we can produce a full set of times for halfway as well as guntime ie start pistol to finish as well as chip time which is start mat to finish mat.

Great race last year and very well organised in every aspect I found.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

Will you let us know what times the pacers are going to be running as soon as they are confirmed Redtop? Im delighted to hear ye are having them. Fingers crossed you get a slow enough one for me to cling on to :)

• Advertisement

A good friend of the club is organising Pacers from their running club for the following times : 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, 1.50, 2.00, 2.10. We really appreciate their help & support. Note : There is a cutoff time of 2:30 for Health & Safety reasons.

Loving this being a walker free race with the 2hr 30 cutoff. Just hope the start is very well organised too as everything else seems to be spot on so far.

What happens after the 2hrs 30 cut off? My sister's training hasnt gone to plan and she intends to walk most of it. Is it really a walker free race?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

A good friend of the club is organising Pacers from their running club for the following times : 1.20, 1.30, 1.40, 1.50, 2.00, 2.10. We really appreciate their help & support. Note : There is a cutoff time of 2:30 for Health & Safety reasons.

Wow - that's an impressive range of pacers! Definitely heading down anyway but will you be able to confirm that there will be 1.20 pacers before the day?

Solobally8 wrote: »
    What happens after the 2hrs 30 cut off? My sister's training hasnt gone to plan and she intends to walk most of it. Is it really a walker free race?

As long as people intend on finishing around the 2:30 mark, the organisers will allow a small buffer, assuming they are close to the finish. That effectively gives them a 12 min/mile limit, which is generous. Beyond that, the organisers cannot be held liable for their safety. Marshalls are being asked to stay at their designated spots while there are still runners on the course. They will be on duty 30 mins before the Start, and then for another 2 hours and 30 mins. Many of those marshalls would also have been on duty the day before the race and very early on the day of the race getting things organised. They are all volunteers, giving up their free time to help the runners, so it would be unfair to ask them to marshall the course for more than 3 hours. We also cannot guarantee that the Garda & Ambulances will be available beyond the 2:30 limit, as they have other commitments. I hope this helps explain the situation.

That's fine. Thanks for that redtop

The Charleville-International Half-Marathon is now officially listed on the AIMS Calendar of Events. The Association of International Marathons and Distance Races only grants accreditation to high quality events so we are very happy to have been granted membership. Thank you AIMS.

Any info on water stations just haven't seen that info anywhere ? Thanks

Water Stations should be the same as last year : near 3 Miles (Thomastown Crossroads), 6 Miles (near Kilmallock Church) and back again at Thomastown Crossroads which will be close to the 10 Mile mark on the way back to Charleville.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭kenn0

Water Stations should be the same as last year : near 3 Miles (Thomastown Crossroads), 6 Miles (near Kilmallock Church) and back again at Thomastown Crossroads which will be close to the 10 Mile mark on the way back to Charleville.

Hi any idea are they giving out bottles or cups of water?

Thanks

Advertisement