Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a phone call

Options
  • 07-08-2012 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I don't know if this is the right place but sure move it if it needs to.basically I'm trying to figure out the flow of information of making a call or text on a mobile,for example I make a call or text to 087-1111111 how does my network meteor,o2,Vodafone etc know who I'm calling,do they have their own billing system or is it centralised to one place.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

How detailed do you want to go? Cutting out a lot of information the switch that handles your call will do some analysis on the number you dial and then decide how to route the call i.e. can it be handled on net or does it need to break out to a foreign network or the PSTN.

Most operators will have their own billing systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

I dont want to go into much detail...just tob have an idea.So from what I can make out it happens inside the device?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

skinny90 wrote: »
    I dont want to go into much detail...just tob have an idea.So from what I can make out it happens inside the device?

No definitely not inside the device. When you make a call your phone sends messages into the network. These messages are processed by the network which analyses what your phone has sent and then decides how to route.

Note when you say device I assume you are referring to a handset.

http://bit.ly/O2bPC9

^^^ That link shows the signaling details for a GSM call with some explanations.

Advertisement