Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkea Castle

Options
  • 07-08-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi.

I'm Katrina writing from Toronto, Canada. I was looking for information on the castle. My great grandfather was born in the castle. It was him who moved to Canada. My grandma was born a FitzGerald and later married a Cameron.

My sister and I are visiting Ireland and we are really interested in seeing the castle! Where do we start!!??

Thank you!!

Katrina

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sceach

Hi Katherina,
    Although the castle is closed at the moment there does seem to be access on foot from the back gate lodge. There is a cemetry in the grounds of the castle and local people consider there is a right of way to it. At the cemetry you can view the exteriour of the castle. Have you read Kilkea by PNN Synnott and Heirs and Graces by Michael Estorick.
    Regards
    Sceach.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 kevgill

Hi Katrina
    The castle is located five miles from Castledermot, where I live. Sorry to say it is falling into disrepair, if you happen to have a few dollars, say 3 million you could buy the castle and adjoining golf course. My paper went well, good mark and I intend to produce a more in depth bio of Lord Walter. Out of interest what was your grandfathers forename? I have not involved any of the family in my paper only Lord Walter.
    Dublin is only 50 miles from Kilkea and a fairly regular bus service will get you to Castledermot. Hiring a car may be a better idea.
    The Fitzgerald family were the landlords of the Kilkea, Moone and Castledermot Barony, and from all accounts since they settled in the area in the thirteenth century they were one of the better landlords. They treated their staff and the local people fairly.
    As they were of Anglo-Norman stock they were classed as Old English, some converted to Protestant faith some did not. A major problem for the family.
    Hope this little bit of info is of help. I can send a more concise example of the family and if you wish I can send the work I produced on Lord Walter. It is by no means a professional work but it will give you an idea of Lord Walter the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Misskaysea

Kevgill,
    Im staying in Dublin with a friend and he is driving us out there! So excited. My sister and I will scrimp and save and get the money sorted to buy it! Haha.
    His name was Arthur FitzGerald and fought in WW1 for Canada. He moved to Toronto around 1912.
    I managed to follow the FitzGerald family way back to the 1000s! So cool.
    That religion problem carried on right until recent! They had a problem that my Mum is Catholic. Do have any idea of when they began to convert?
    Thanks for the info!! I would love to read anything you have on the family!!

Thanks,
    Katrina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 kevgill

Misskaysea wrote: »
    Kevgill,
    Im staying in Dublin with a friend and he is driving us out there! So excited. My sister and I will scrimp and save and get the money sorted to buy it! Haha.
    His name was Arthur FitzGerald and fought in WW1 for Canada. He moved to Toronto around 1912.
    I managed to follow the FitzGerald family way back to the 1000s! So cool.
    That religion problem carried on right until recent! They had a problem that my Mum is Catholic. Do have any idea of when they began to convert?
    Thanks for the info!! I would love to read anything you have on the family!!

Thanks,
    Katrina
    Hi Katrina
    Welcome to Ireland!!!! this from a very very cynical Irishman,
    The reformation when Henry the VIII broke from Catholic church was the beinning of rise of Protestantism. Although he remained a Catholic in service he opened a schism beween faiths. His daughter Elizabeth 1st could be regarded as first true advocate of Protestantism in Englad, a reverse of faith if you like. After Henry,s death Mary his daughter tried to re-establish Catholicism. The Islands of England, Scotland. Wales and Ireland (Britain as we know it now) were for a long period pushed backwards and forwards between Catholicism and Protestantism. Such is the history of Ireland. It was during this period landed Old English chose sides so to speak. But the truth as I see it was that the Old English wanted their bread buttered on both sides. They wanted to be still regarded as one of "The Irish" part of the old celtic traditions but also belong to the English crown, to receive the rewards and benefits bestowed upon them.
    To say the story of religion and the Celtic, Old English and planters is complicated is an understatement. Each 'group' each 'individual' had their own agendas. Trying to work out exactly what the agendas were is the joy of revisionism history.
    The Fitzgerald's survived much to the good foresight of marrying well, specifically into the BUTLER family. Check out the Butlers, arguably the foremost influential political family in Ireland.
    Have a good time, enjoy the Guiness and all the best in your travels in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1 MichelleRB

Katrina,

My mother was a Fitzgerald ... her father was Douglas Fitzgerald ... I am sure we have relatives in common. I've done some research as my grandfather loved his history ... and the Cameron family was definitely part of my family as well.

I would be interested in talking, if you were.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shockoanto

Hi everyone!

I am glad to say that Kilkea castle in Ireland Co. Kildare is due to reopen in March 2014, on St. Patricks Day the 17th at least I think so, but I know it will definately open in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shockoanto

Hi Katrina!

In your request to know about Kilkea Castle, it will reopen in March 2014 on St. Patricks Day.
    Also may I suggest a quick visit to the local forestry area close by called Mullaghreelan Wood, it provides lovely walks for the family and also houses a rath ( which is an ancient fort used as a look out post for Kilkea castle in the Middle Ages). You can't miss the wood it can be seen from the entrance for the castle.

Advertisement