Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toying with alienware: Card options, GTX680 vs Radeon vs dual radeons

Options
  • 07-08-2012 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, quick post - appreciate any advice / help from someone more knowing than myself.

There are a few card options I have speccing an alienware rig which come to the same price, so I'd love to know what is best performance wise.

First option: GTX 680 "2GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GTX 680"

Second option: HD 7950 "3GB AMD® Radeon™ HD 7950"

Third option: Dual HD7870's "Dual 2GB GDDR5 AMD® Radeon™ HD7870 CrossFireX™"

So, these are all pretty much the same price. What's the best bet? Based on numbers, the dual radeon HD7870 config would be best on paper, but will that transcribe? I have no experience with SLI configs.

I've heard good things about the GTX 680 and have had relatively good experiences with Nvidia cards in the past, but would the extra GB of memory in the Radeon HD 7950 make it the better choice?

Thanks so much in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Why oh why oh why?

Just to make me laugh how much are they charging.

Okay I'll be constructive - 670/680 if you are using 1 1080p monitor - perhaps 1440p. 7950/7970 if you are playing in excess of 1440p or using multiple monitors.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Please don't get an alienware desktop. A puppy dies every time someone buys one D:

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Why oh why oh why?

Just to make me laugh how much are they charging.

Okay I'll be constructive - 670/680 if you are using 1 1080p monitor - perhaps 1440p. 7950/7970 if you are playing in excess of 1440p or using multiple monitors.

Let me stress "toying"!!!

They're charging something ridiculous. The usual - it's quite unlikely I'll buy from Dell/Alienware, and simply spec the machine and build it elsewhere ;)

It's at 1800 euro without a monitor now. :pac:

vard wrote: »
    Let me stress "toying"!!!

They're charging something ridiculous. The usual - it's quite unlikely I'll buy from Dell/Alienware, and simply spec the machine and build it elsewhere ;)

It's at 1800 euro without a monitor now. :pac:

WT....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Hardwareversand is down at the moment, but you could get a 3TB red drive for €20 and it has the 3 year warranty. The average person would probably make do with 2TB though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Monotype wrote: »
    Hardwareversand is down at the moment, but you could get a 3TB red drive for €20 and it has the 3 year warranty. The average person would probably make do with 2TB though.
    typo? or are HDDs finally at/better than old prices again?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    typo? or are HDDs finally at/better than old prices again?

Just a little bit better, 3TB for 20 quid, I'll take 10 :pac:

Haha, €20 more. :D

€20 would be absolutely amazing. :(
    ... although maybe not so good since I bought some drives recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I am still on my 500gb hdd + my ssd's :D

• Advertisement

We've had quite enough talk of your insufficient 'collection' :D

Any recommendations on sites where you can have a rig built and shipped? I don't have much experience beyond installing a graphics card, so I don't really trust myself.

ALSO - DUAL CROSSFIRE 7950's vs GTX 680, ignoring price, which would you choose?

Hugs 'n kisses

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

2 7950's is much better than a gtx 680. installing a GPU is as easy as installing RAM and tightening a screw. hardwareversand.de will build most of it for you for €20.

If you are going to get it built by HWVS - go for the H80 or H100 cooler so the bumps in shipping are borne by the case and not by the motherboard. Also E-mail them and ask them to ship the GPUs separately - again due to shipping issues.

Building it yourself id pretty straight forward tbh.

If you are going to get it built by HWVS - go for the H80 or H100 cooler so the bumps in shipping are borne by the case and not by the motherboard. Also E-mail them and ask them to ship the GPUs separately - again due to shipping issues.

Building it yourself id pretty straight forward tbh.

Cheers guys

Would I be required to install the processor? I'm alright with graphics cards, but haven't any experience with that!

vard wrote: »
    Cheers guys

Would I be required to install the processor? I'm alright with graphics cards, but haven't any experience with that!

Not if HWVS build it for you with a H100 or H80 - tbh with your budget I'd go H100. BTW my build was a 'don't buy Alienware build' if you tell me what your after I'll do up a better build.

Not if HWVS build it for you with a H100 or H80 - tbh with your budget I'd go H100. BTW my build was a 'don't buy Alienware build' if you tell me what your after I'll do up a better build.

Cheers! Really appreciate that.

As you can tell I'm fairly clueless, but anyway!

As far as price goes I'd obviously like to keep things as low as possible. Initially I had a rough budget of 1200 euro, but I don't mind stretching that, so it's a very rough guide.

I'm quite keen on a setup with either crossfire 7950's or a GTX 680 - from what I've seen they end up being roughly the same price.

With regard to ram I'd be happy with anything between 8 and 16 GB - this is something I could upgrade at a later date if I was to opt for 8 for the moment, and as far as I know I shouldn't really need any more than 8 really anyway.

Processor, I was looking at the 6 core i7 3930 K - but if you have any opinions on something better, or if you think it's unnecessary that's fine.

Thanks so much again.

I was more meaning the end result :D

From the spec you are video editing 1080p and playing games across at least three 1440p monitors?

Either that or a total e-peen build - nothing wrong with that :D

give me an idea of what your doing...

It's a bit of everything really. I don't yet have a decent monitor to justify the purchase, but that'll be next on the list...

My main aim is something that will be future proof. A little E-peen is okay too though ;)

I wouldn't go spending money on an i7 unless you are doing heavy video editing - it will be no more future proof than an i5 - by the time games are using 8 cores (which the i7 doesnt have anyway they are logical threads) you'll be looking at 6-8Ghz CPUs.

If its okay by you I'll spec a really good xfire or SLI i5 system.

Will you be using more than one monitor? Will you be editing much video?

• Advertisement

I wouldn't go spending money on an i7 unless you are doing heavy video editing - it will be no more future proof than an i5 - by the time games are using 8 cores (which the i7 doesnt have anyway they are logical threads) you'll be looking at 6-8Ghz CPUs.

If its okay by you I'll spec a really good xfire or SLI i5 system.

Will you be using more than one monitor? Will you be editing much video?

That's brilliant, thanks!

I intend on upgrading to dual monitors. Currently I'd be using one, but definitely 2 in the not too distant future.

As far as video editing goes, I do about 3 edits per month roughly, so nothing incredibly intensive overall.

You can't (or rather shouldn't) game on two monitors - the bezels are right where a cross-hair or interface element would be.

Would you go triple monitor?

I would, but I'll most likely have to build up to it!

Item|Price
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24|€107.75
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA III Paper Box|€198.44
    Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint HD204UI 2TB SATA II|€99.00
    Corsair Graphite 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€138.22
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€70.50
    2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€666.94
    LiteOn iHES112-115 bulk|€49.32
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€134.39
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€219.38
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€101.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1804.37

Let me walk you though some of the areas this system is metal money :P

Okay some mad RAM - I've spec'd that so you can go to 32GB. I'd personally only fit 8GB in 2x4GB config but I wanted to give you as much room as possible.

You've 2 7950s in this. One you're going ultra resolution AMD pull out in front on nVidia by just a margin. I'd personally buy 1 7950 and see how you get on. As you add monitors add another GPU. I personally didnt like eyefinity (trip monitor) and I highly recommend testing it. For desktop use this machine will support dual monitors without breaking a sweat.

3570K+H100 = ~5Ghz possible over clock which is mental CPU performance - nothing needs that power at the moment.

Case & PSU are epeen material. Oh there is also a huge SSD and a bluray drive. If I was to put this next to a €1400 build you wouldnt see any performance decrease on a single monitor.

Item|Price
    16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance schwarz PC3-12800U CL9-9-9-24|€107.75
    Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA III Paper Box|€198.44
    Seagate Barracuda Spinpoint HD204UI 2TB SATA II|€99.00
    Corsair Graphite 600T, ATX, ohne Netzteil|€138.22
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€70.50
    2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 OC 950M, 3GB GDDR5, full retail|€666.94
    LiteOn iHES112-115 bulk|€49.32
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX|€134.39
    Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155|€219.38
    Corsair Hydro Series H100 (Sockel 775/1156/1366/AM2/AM2+/AM3/FM1)|€101.44
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1804.37
    Let me walk you though some of the areas this system is metal money :P

Okay some mad RAM - I've spec'd that so you can go to 32GB. I'd personally only fit 8GB in 2x4GB config but I wanted to give you as much room as possible.

You've 2 7950s in this. One you're going ultra resolution AMD pull out in front on nVidia by just a margin. I'd personally buy 1 7950 and see how you get on. As you add monitors add another GPU. I personally didnt like eyefinity (trip monitor) and I highly recommend testing it. For desktop use this machine will support dual monitors without breaking a sweat.

3570K+H100 = ~5Ghz possible over clock which is mental CPU performance - nothing needs that power at the moment.

Case & PSU are epeen material. Oh there is also a huge SSD and a bluray drive. If I was to put this next to a €1400 build you wouldnt see any performance decrease on a single monitor.

Can't thank you enough. I think I'll follow your advice and go for the single 7950 card and opt for the dual crossfire stuff when I start getting into higher resolution stuff.

Thank you again!

That GPU is the one I have ordered with the same cooling solution so let me know when you're over clocking and I can help you with settings. (Thanks to recommendations from people here.)

The GPU is over clocked out of the box to 950Mhz but people have had them running at 1200Mhz+ on air that's faster than some 7970s. You'd see a scaling hit going to xfire as you've have to pull back the clock speeds and 2 cards don't = twice the performance but obviously 2 in xfire should handle 3 monitors.

In all honesty you may hate trip monitor gaming. I certainly didn't take to it. The image on the side displays is stretched to simulate peripheral vision. It looks pants imho. Some games (Borderlands) don't stretch the side displays and I still didn't like it. On top of all that the faffing about to get games to look right on very wide displays can be a right pain - with quite a few refusing to work.

I'd personally by a 27" high res IPS panel and be done with it - then maybe just use what ever current monitor you have as a second display for having itunes or whatever open.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Where are you based btw? If you are in Dublin I'll give you a hand building it :)

• Advertisement

deconduo wrote: »
    Where are you based btw? If you are in Dublin I'll give you a hand building it :)

Thanks so much for the offer. Too kind! I am based in Dublin, but I think I'll be looking to get it delivered to my London address as I'm going to be moving back over there soon.

I think I'll opt for their build service on the site, just because I'd rather not have individual components and parts being delivered in bits and pieces. I figure it's probably the safest way of going about things.

I chopped and changed the spec a little - here's where I'm up to. Changed the case and PSU, and I actually opted to leave out the graphics cards entirely! I think I'll buy them separately and just use my previous GTX 285 for the moment... but anyway:

CPU Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155

Motherboard ASRock Z77 Extreme4, Sockel 1155, ATX

Ram (16gb) 16GB-Kit Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz CL9

Case (decided to opt for full tower over mid) Special item: Cooler Master Storm Trooper, ohne Netzteil

PSU (upped to 700W for future crossfire use) be quiet! PURE POWER CM BQT L8-CM-730W

SSD Samsung SSD 830 128GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box

HD WD Caviar Green 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s (WD10EZRX)

Samsung SH-D163C SATA schwarz

Sorry to be overloading you all with questions, but with my finger hovering over the confirm button, I want to be sure I'm on to a winner here - any changes you'd recommend, just let me know.

(case is a big'n, but one of their most popular, and getting glowing reviews)

PRICE EXCLUDING DELIVERY/CHARGES 851 Euro

Advertisement