Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Bambi wrote: »
    I'm not sure that was ever proven? It's consistent with her beliefs, but she said she wasn't bankrolling them at all.

It was well documented that Mena supported the Roscommon family and wrote to the HSE

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

paddyandy wrote: »
    The 'popular' versions never amount to much but religion is still the best adventure there is .You first have to trawl through it carefully .....very carefully .
    You've obviously never seen The Goonies

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It was well documented that Mena supported the Roscommon family and wrote to the HSE

Sounds great, where was it well documented?

Sarky wrote: »
    Bollocks. The Goonies 2 is the greatest adventure there is and you damn well know it.

I only saw the first one and I thought it sucked balls :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

There are numerous Irish news sources, she neither denied any of it or regretted it.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ultracatholics-under-fire-over-horror-house-1613957.html

http://www.herald.ie/news/mother-from-hell-supporter-hits-out-at-health-staff-1612148.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

She never took any payment for this service. Instead she asked that I joined the cóir,
    So she didn't demand money but demanded that you join her organisation to be indoctrinated in coirs dogma. IMVHO you paid a hefty price for those grinds. Broadly speaking, I agree with everything of the general sentiment on this thread. Now, as anyone who follows my posts will know, I harbour my own deep seated hatred of Irish Catholicism and those who promote its ideals (thats not to say I hate most catholics - i don't) for ideological and political reasons so my support for the anti Una theme stems not from my ideological stance but out of a contempt I have for the policies and views the said individuals put forth. The branding of single parents as filthy sluts is absolutely disgusting.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Education's your zyklon B for those types.
    The avaibility of information on the internet is their holocaust. Sites where we can discuss them and their beliefs (like boards) are their death camps. And the mods on these sites are their SS nazi soldiers :pac:

Cienciano wrote: »
    And the mods on these sites are their SS nazi soldiers :pac:

Do they get black uniforms? I want a uniform :(

(and don't any smart rse pipe up that SS soldiers didn't actually have black uniforms)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

They skinheads were anti abortion because it would mean less of the 'aryan race' in the world & sure we couldn't be having that could we? On the subject of single mothers I remember YD would gladly accept them as 'members' who would be trotted out to the front of marches with their buggies (photo ops) but would be steered away from giving interviews to the media (especially religious publications) in case the membership took offence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 305 ✭✭Jimminy Mc Fukhead

The avaibility of information on the internet is their holocaust. Sites where we can discuss them and their beliefs (like boards) are their death camps. And the mods on these sites are their SS nazi soldiers :pac:

The tcp/ip protocol is the train lines and trains that bring people to the death camps. After Hours is the eugenics experimentation. The lock threads on the forum are the first american soldiers who find and liberate the camps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

And she accused the State of "attacking families", saying: "I won't comment directly on this case but suppose that woman had not been married, she would have plenty of money to rear those children.

I hope she died screaming

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

hardCopy wrote: »
    I hope she died screaming

Source? Or am I missing something - it sounds like syas saying unmarried mothers could raise kids which saounds a bit unlike her...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Source? Or am I missing something - it sounds like syas saying unmarried mothers could raise kids which saounds a bit unlike her...

From the Herald article: http://www.herald.ie/news/mother-from-hell-supporter-hits-out-at-health-staff-1612148.html

She tries to blame the mother's abuse of her children on the state for not supporting married parents and "attacking" families.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Grayson wrote: »
    Couple of things. How exactly did jesus manage to proclaim that the only way to salvation was to read the gospels when they weren't written till long after his death. And did he specify which ones? Cos there's all those gnostic gospels too.
    Jesus said that He was the only way to salvation. "I am the way the truth and the life, nobody comes to the Father except by me" (John 14:6).
    Gnostic Gospels = 200 - 300 years after Jesus death
    New Testament = within a lifetime of eyewitnesses. (earliest 54AD, latest 90AD).
    The texts of the New Testament were in use during the 2nd century in the writings of the church fathers, they were cited and used regularly with the Old Testament. The Gnostic Gospels weren't - naturally.
    And as for no biblical grounding for bigotry, have you read Leviticus?
    I've read the whole Bible. All sin deserves death (Romans 1:32). Christians believe that there are two covenant agreements in Scripture and always have done (see Jeremiah 31:31-34 and Hebrews chapter 8), one binding on the Biblical State of Israel, and one binding on Gentiles and Jews who believe in Jesus Christ. The New Covenant fulfils the Old, and there are very clear references in Scripture to suggest this. So in short, all sin deserves death, but God in His mercy sent Jesus to die in our place on the cross, therefore if I have been forgiven by God, who am I to deny others this opportunity (see Matthew 18 for example).
    I've posted about this in more detail here if you're interested in finding out more:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056717420
    See, I have no problem with people believing in god. Or Jesus. But I do have difficulty when they treat the bible as gospel truth (pun intended). It's a collection of stuff written over thousands of years. Most of the new testament comes from translations written hundreds of years after the death of christ. And even the originals were written quite a while after the death of Jesus.
    Then have a problem. Being a Christian requires respecting Scripture as God's inspired Word. I'm not going to deny that before anyone. I treat the Bible as gospel truth, because it is the very means of knowing God. If I don't base my faith on what God has revealed to us, then there's no point believing in God or Jesus because sooner or later it will be warped. I take my faith seriously - and I don't see why anyone should have a "problem" with that.
    The New Testament is in Greek. It was originally written in Greek, and we have manuscript copies in Greek. I've discussed this on the other thread, I'd also suggest that you look at the "Why trust the Bible?" links in my signature. The New Testament wasn't written "hundreds of years after Jesus' death". We have plenty of evidence to question that assumption.
    Follow the spirit of the book. But don't take any individual line as the word of god.
    Remember, for years genesis was taught as the actual creation of the world. It's only in the last few hundred years that the church has admitted it's wrong and is "allegorical". God only knows how much of the book is inaccurate (pun intended again)
    I've posted about Genesis numerous times on boards.ie - The Hebrew text is written in an allegorical style. The word "yom" that is commonly rendered in English as day, in other parts of the Old Testament it refers to years or periods of time.
    I've posted about it here and here.
    I'll take the Bible as the word of God, because I'm utterly convinced that it is. I'm convinced that it makes a heck of a lot of sound sense also.
    I've long said that I'm OK with people calling me stupid, a fundamentalist or so on. If that what it means to live and speak for Jesus in today's world - that's what I've signed up for. In fact, that's very very light.

Jesus was more than likely a homosexual (if he even existed at all). He was in love with John. When he went forth to his execution only 4 people he knew went with him, his mother Mary, 2 other women and John. He was closest to John and they were 'special friends'.

Where did you get the idea that Jesus was a homosexual from?
    So Jesus is represtented as advising people to show love and compassion, that God loves them and that they should follow God. God being the one who created them and fave them free will in the first place?

The Bible presents Jesus as far, far more than that. Yes, Jesus does advise people how to live, as people forgiven by God. Christian living is rooted in the cross. The love of Jesus is demonstrated through the cross, where Jesus shed His blood for all - to pay the full price of sin.

This is how we truly know what love is:
    1 John 4 wrote:
    Beloved, let us love one another, for love is from God, and whoever loves has been born of God and knows God. 8 Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 9 In this the love of God was made manifest among us, that God sent his only Son into the world, so that we might live through him. 10 In this is love, not that we have loved God but that he loved us and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 11 Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. 12 No one has ever seen God; if we love one another, God abides in us and his love is perfected in us.

Indeed, Jesus Himself said "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

Jesus throughout the New Testament speaks of the love of God, as the catalyst of good works. Indeed the grace of God is a catalyst also.

Do you ever wonder why Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your strength" first? It's because you can't "love your neighbour as yourself" without it.
    I see your point re: church, but to me "chruches" refer different aspects of Christianity (e.g. Catholic Church, Protestant Church,etc, etc,) and I thought this is what you were getting at.

The joy of going straight to Biblical Christianity is that we can get a glimpse of what Christianity was originally intended to be. We can think about what it is for ourselves, and we can have a personal knowledge of a relationship with God. Church is for the most part great, and people should have fellowship there, but the churches must listen to God's word first before their own word.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

She is referred to in the Roscommon report as Mrs. B. she is mentioned many times in the report. She is noted as someone who continually advocated for the family and petitioned the HSE. Those parents had some of the best lawyers money can buy when going for that high court injunction despite having little income, there was no evidence that Mrs. B was bankrolling them but it was obvious as hell.
    In my opinion she should have been held criminally liable for aiding and abetting the parents in committing the most horrific child abuse imaginable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

philologos wrote: »

The joy of going straight to Biblical Christianity is that we can get a glimpse of what Christianity was originally intended to be. ............

I'd say ye'd get a better idea here.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,811 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

marienbad wrote: »
    To give a true picture we should make a list of all those things you could/ could'nt do before 1970 and after 1970 and put to bed this notion of a an Irish version of Camelot now irretrievably lost . Here is a start-

No divorce
    No contraception
    No last rite for suicides
    No women on Juries
    No married women in Civil Service
    Women incarcerated without any process or appeal
    No attendance by catholics at Trinity without church dispensation .
    Homosexuality illegal
    Books banned on foot of a complaint from any crackpot.
    Films etc cut (mutilated) or banned
    Minimum standards required to commit to a mental asylum ( a GP or a Guard was enough- though I could be wrong on that one)

In Ireland a married woman did not have the legal right to withhold consent to sex with her husband until 1990 - marital rape was legal.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭cometogether

Thankfully this horrible woman is dead. The world can be a tricky enough place without hate-filled people like this spreading their disgusting ideas. Thankfully her ilk are a dying breed in the most case.

The Bible presents Jesus as far, far more than that. Yes, Jesus does advise people how to live, as people forgiven by God. Christian living is rooted in the cross. The love of Jesus is demonstrated through the cross, where Jesus shed His blood for all - to pay the full price of sin.

This is how we truly know what love is:

Indeed, Jesus Himself said "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, so that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life" (John 3:16).

Jesus throughout the New Testament speaks of the love of God, as the catalyst of good works. Indeed the grace of God is a catalyst also.

Do you ever wonder why Jesus said "Love the Lord your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your strength" first? It's because you can't "love your neighbour as yourself" without it.

But my point is that, at no point, does Jesus try to threaten or instill fear in order to get his mesage across. Religion, on the other hand, does. That is the difference.

The joy of going straight to Biblical Christianity is that we can get a glimpse of what Christianity was originally intended to be. We can think about what it is for ourselves, and we can have a personal knowledge of a relationship with God. Church is for the most part great, and people should have fellowship there, but the churches must listen to God's word first before their own word.

Again, which specific Christian church? Because, as far as I know, jesus did not have any allegiance to any specific branch of Chrsitianiaty. That was all the power of man. Corrupt, insecure, fallible man.

The chruches tend not to present the word of Jesus accrately. I beleive they use the word of Jesus corrupted in order to further their own person aims.

To sum up? The word of Jesus is one thing, the word of indivisual chruches is massively different and it is this that I (and most people) object to being used as some sort of moral code.

• Advertisement

But my point is that, at no point, does Jesus try to threaten or instill fear in order to get his mesage across. Religion, on the other hand, does. That is the difference.

What do you mean by "religion" again, I've asked you numerous times now? Lumping "religion" into a single category really isn't that useful when we're discussing it.

I'm not wholly convinced that you've considered all of what Jesus has taught from some of your other posts. I'd really really encourage you to step in and have a look at Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

The great thing is, I can look to the Bible, and I can criticise churches if I feel that they are falling short, and I should be criticising myself as a Christian if I fall short in my witness to others.
    Again, which specific Christian church? Because, as far as I know, jesus did not have any allegiance to any specific branch of Chrsitianiaty. That was all the power of man. Corrupt, insecure, fallible man.

I've answered this question already. The Christian church. There were no such thing as denominations in the first century.
    The chruches tend not to present the word of Jesus accrately. I beleive they use the word of Jesus corrupted in order to further their own person aims.

Which churches? - You're going to have to show me how the word of Jesus is corrupted.

You've repeated this stuff a few times now, and I'm struggling to actually get to the substance of what you're saying.
    To sum up? The word of Jesus is one thing, the word of indivisual chruches is massively different and it is this that I (and most people) object to being used as some sort of moral code.

I'm talking about Biblical Christianity. Namely, what can we learn from Jesus and how can we apply that to our lives.

There are quite a number of good churches that head straight to the Bible, and preach on it. If my pastor says something which I find unbiblical, I can ask him about it, and if he shows me in the Scripture and gives a reasonable explanation then I've learned something new.

Which churches? - You're going to have to show me how the word of Jesus is corrupted.

Ah come on now. What about the Catholic Church. Do you think if Jesus made a second coming today he would go to the pope and tell him the Catholic Church is doing a great job and doing exactly as he would have done?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Ush1 wrote: »
    Wasn't Jesus supposed to be married to a brazzer?

Jesus was more than likely a homosexual (if he even existed at all). He was in love with John. When he went forth to his execution only 4 people he knew went with him, his mother Mary, 2 other women and John. He was closest to John and they were 'special friends'.

Stone 'im!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm not wholly convinced that you've considered all of what Jesus has taught from some of your other posts. I'd really really encourage you to step in and have a look at Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.

philologos wrote:
    I really don't think it's fair for a poster to say watch 1hr 30mins of video as an alternative to discussing.

Ah come on now. What about the Catholic Church. Do you think if Jesus made a second coming today he would go to the pope and tell him the Catholic Church is doing a great job and doing exactly as he would have done?
    My problem with the post is that he's saying that all churches are inherently bad without basis. I'm a non-Catholic so I've no interest in defending that institution.

I think a lot of Irish people assume that Christianity automatically means RCC and religion automatically means the RCC.

Ush1 wrote: »
    I'm not saying he should do that as an alternative to discussing. I'm more than happy to chat anyway :)

My problem with the post is that he's saying that all churches are inherently bad without basis. I'm a non-Catholic so I've no interest in defending that institution.

I think a lot of Irish people assume that Christianity automatically means RCC and religion automatically means the RCC.

They're the undisputed heavyweight champions of the christian world.

What do you mean by "religion" again, I've asked you numerous times now? Lumping "religion" into a single category really isn't that useful when we're discussing it.

The great thing is, I can look to the Bible, and I can criticise churches if I feel that they are falling short, and I should be criticising myself as a Christian if I fall short in my witness to others.
    Religion - The man-made association based upon the words of a God, prophet, or perceived icon. E.G. Christianity, Islam.
    Church - Specific belief or denomination, E.G. - Catholicism, Protestantism, Shi'ite, Sunni

Christ founded a religion, but he did not found a church.

Said religion was then corrupted by various figures over the last two centures to further their own means and by using fear, threats and sometimes fundamentalism as tools to achieve this.

I've answered this question already. The Christian church. There were no such thing as denominations in the first century.

In other words, Jesus founded a religion, not a church. He neve told anyone that there was specific, particular way in which to follow him, or what happened if you chose not to. That was my point.

Which churches? - You're going to have to show me how the word of Jesus is corrupted. You said "Jesus established the church" - so I aske which one. I know he founded Christianity, but it souned like you were saying he did indeed found (or favour) a denomination.

But it kind of means Jesus never favoured (nor promoteed the idea of) a denomination.
    You've repeated this stuff a few times now, and I'm struggling to actually get to the substance of what you're saying.

Eh, hello? Westboro Baptist Church? The very "ladies" that we are discussing on thread who apparently do what they do in the name of Jesus? Amercian televangelism?

I'm talking about Biblical Christianity. Namely, what can we learn from Jesus and how can we apply that to our lives.

There are quite a number of good churches that head straight to the Bible, and preach on it. If my pastor says something which I find unbiblical, I can ask him about it, and if he shows me in the Scripture and gives a reasonable explanation then I've learned something new.

This is fine. You haven't accepted his word - you've challenged it. A lot of people don't. My point is for people who automatically accept a source of information (be it the bible or otherwise) blindly and use that and only that even when their personal experience is different.

There are passages in the Gospel where Jesus speaks about the church. e.g Matthew 16 and 18. But he's talking about the fellowship or community of believers. That's church.

So yes He founded the church.

• Advertisement

There are passages in the Gospel where Jesus speaks about the church. e.g Matthew 16 and 18. But he's talking about the fellowship or community of believers. That's church.

So yes He founded the church.

How you getting on with those videos about the bible on the old outube there phil? i thought they were interesting

Advertisement