Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

philologos wrote: »
    My problem with the post is that he's saying that all churches are inherently bad without basis. I'm a non-Catholic so I've no interest in defending that institution.

I think a lot of Irish people assume that Christianity automatically means RCC and religion automatically means the RCC.

No no - the concept of religion is abusive, that's what I meant. How does that quote go - "Religion is considered by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by rulers as useful."

To be clear, the same could be said of other religions too - Islam for example, right through to the cults that pose as religions, such as Scientology.
    There are passages in the Gospel where Jesus speaks about the church. e.g Matthew 16 and 18. But he's talking about the fellowship or community of believers. That's church.

So yes He founded the church.

Not in the same definition - i.e. denomination - that I thought you refered to earlier. Which is why I asked for clarification.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

YD get a lot of support from right wing nut jobs that think abortion is part of conspiracy to make white people extinct. In Ireland that's idiots like Micheal Quin http://www.wsm.ie/c/pro-life-mass-murder-arrested-fascist-belfast[/QUOTE]

What a nut job.
    I'd say he blends in quite seamlessly over at YD HQ!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭MadPatrick

To be fair to her, she posted all them comments in the boards.ie "Unpopular Opinions" forum.

If there was a "Popular Opinion" forum I'm sure she'd come across as just lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

why is this another jesus thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

bluewolf wrote: »
    I was wondering the exact same thing. It was originally about a venomous ultra conservative religious woman dying. Now it's been reduced to evangelising... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

My problem with the post is that he's saying that all churches are inherently bad without basis. I'm a non-Catholic so I've no interest in defending that institution.

I think a lot of Irish people assume that Christianity automatically means RCC and religion automatically means the RCC.
    Does it matter if you're catholic or not? You said "what churches?" A catholic church is a church. Not one of yours, but still a church. I don't think the entire catholic church organisation and it's history is anything like what jesus taught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Because philololologos.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I was wondering the exact same thing. It was originally about a venomous ultra conservative religious woman dying. Now it's been reduced to evangelising... :confused:

I thought it was about an about a venomous ultra conservative religious woman that is still alive and then her and the line of lunatics she established. Then midway through the thread another nut with a similar name and views kicked the bucket, derailing the thread a little.

Am i wrong? are they the same person? it's difficult to keep track as their names and spelling of those names seem to change a lot.

Guilty. Kinda. But she does what she says in the name of Jesus, hence the tangent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I thought it was about an about a venomous ultra conservative religious woman that is still alive and then her and the line of lunatics she established. Then midway through the thread another nut with a similar name and views kicked the bucket, derailing the thread a little.

Am i wrong? are they the same person? it's difficult to keep track as their names and spelling of those names seem to change a lot.

I'm uncertain tbh. Ultra conservative crazy family that spawned a group of ultra conservative crazy folk sounds like a fair summary. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Jesus said
    No to homosexuality and gay marriage
    No to abortion
    No to sex before marriage
    No to contraception

So these people are perfectly within their rights to have their rant, and try to get their views enshrined in law.

And if some people don't believe in a Jesus or think he didn't say any of the above, then that's tough sh1t!!!

It's not like we're living in a republic are we???

Jesus said
    No to abortion
    No to contraception
    No he didn't. Read your Bible.
    So these people are perfectly within their rights to have their rant, and try to get their views enshrined in law.
    No they aren't. Perhaps I have the same right which is opposite?
    And if some people don't believe in a Jesus or think he didn't say any of the above, then that's tough sh1t!!!

Good last line. It's a demoacracy. Which means we all have a say. Not just you. And stop blasphemig Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

No - the other one died before the thread was started

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

What a nut job.
    I'd say he blends in quite seamlessly over at YD HQ!

he's probably there years. At least as far back as 1999

http://www.sundayworld.com/columnists/index.php?aid=8360
    Unemployed dad-of-eight Michael Quinn is the proud head of Ireland's leading 'white nationalist' party - 'Democratic Right Movement' (DRM) and added he would have "no problem" with an Anders Breivik style-massacre in the Dail.
    Barrett and Quinn were arrested at a violent anti-abortion picket of a Dublin hospital in 1999 but the charges were later dropped.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/dying-patient-had-to-endure-prolife-demo-411034.html
    Yesterday 10 of the protesters, including members of the militant Youth Defence organisation, pleaded not guilty to public order offences.

Justin Barrett (28) of Springtown, Granard, Co Longford; Dennis Meehan (24) Tydavnet, Co Monaghan and Aoife Brid Ni Aodhan (20) Grace Park Heights, Dublin deny disorderly behaviour.

Aidan Kavanagh (30) Ballygall Place, Dublin; Michael Quinn (35) Ballyraggan, Rathvilly, Co Carlow and Maurice Colgan (25) Mountjoy Square, Dublin deny obstruction.

It helps confirm what "The Skulls" has been saying http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=80156682#post80156682

It says a lot YD keep him around.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Jesus said
    No to abortion
    No to contraception
    No he didn't. Read your Bible.
    No they aren't. Perhaps I have the same right which is opposite?

Good last line. It's a demoacracy. Which means we all have a say. Not just you. And stop blasphemig Jesus.

I see your irony-meter is set to off this evening ;)

...And I was told at a very young age that blasphemy is a victimless crime ;)

I see your irony-meter is set to off this evening ;)

...And I was told at a very young age that blasphemy is a victimless crime ;)

ahhhh.... a reverse-troll!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

In fairness the last line of their post should have got the sarcasm across pretty well! :D

dory wrote: »
    In fairness the last line of their post should have got the sarcasm across pretty well! :D

My sarcasm detector has been on the Fritz a lot lately!

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Christ the Redeemer

She's a bit liberal for my taste..

Is that like the anti-Santa ??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I know nothing of the woman referred to in the original post, however I knew the the late Mena Bean Uí Chribín mentioned throughout this thread.

I know that in AH, it's asking a lot to be somewhat reasonable but it's like a pack of bloodthirsty rabid wolves circling and looking for any reason to defame and insult.

Yes, she was a staunch Catholic which she practised herself - she was not afraid to say what she believed in and would be happy to publicly say it too.
    However, she would never turn away those in need. If she saw wrong-doing - and I'm not talking about a religious perspective - she would stand up to it. She more than likely made a great deal of enemies doing this, so I would be cautious about what you believe in reports. She was activist - you're going to get on somebody's bad side.

As whitehall9 mentioned a few pages back, she did a shedload of work in the community for several decades, especially helping out students with their studies in maths, Irish & music and further promoting environmentalism and also encouraging those to develop musical talents. The description by whitehall9 is fairly accurate. She took in people regardless of their background and never pushed a religious agenda.

The world is undoubtedly a better place with her having been in it.

Since there's so much talk about where the human race has come and is headed, I hope that I will live to see a day when we are a little more accepting and do not revel in the death of someone, especially based on a few threads and failing to see the larger picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

I think she more a product of her time, she wasn't speaking to empty halls and she had support from a broad section of Irish society, including the church and therefore the government. I wouldn't demonise her, no more then I would demonise any conservative in anytime.

Social progress or regress, depending on which side of the fence you are on happens for a host of reasons, then a funny thing happens to conservatives they embrace the new values and want to keep it that way. That becomes their new conservatism. For example you don't get any republicans in America wanting a return to apartheid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've often wondered about that myself, the conservatives of today are basically the bat shít crazy liberals of 50 years ago, or even less. You don't see too many people espousing a return to the values of the 15th century for example.
    Maybe it's a bit of a simplistic analogy, but to my mind conservatives are kind of like the slow kids in school - they'll most likely get there in the end, it just takes them that little bit longer than the smarter kids! Then by the time they get there, the others have moved on, it's a game of perpetual catch up.

I've often wondered about that myself, the conservatives of today are basically the bat shít crazy liberals of 50 years ago, or even less. You don't see too many people espousing a return to the values of the 15th century for example.
    Maybe it's a bit of a simplistic analogy, but to my mind conservatives are kind of like the slow kids in school - they'll most likely get there in the end, it just takes them that little bit longer than the smarter kids! Then by the time they get there, the others have moved on, it's a game of perpetual catch up.

So they're guilty of the same moral relativism they constantly complain about when referring to us?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd say a lot of these loons would happily take us back a hundred years or so.

They are just kept so busy trying to hold back the tide of debauchery that they never get around to restoring older laws.

If abortion and gay marriage were finally off the table they'd quickly get back to lobbying for bans on condoms, divorce, serving drink on the holy hour, working on holy days of obligation, serving meat on Friday's etc.

These are not people who have embraced or accepted the last 50 years of liberalisation in Irish society.

EDIT: Same goes for Colmustard's comments above, if you think conservative America has moved beyond racism you should listen to right wing talk radio over there, especially outside the cities. Obama is not American, Obama is a muslim, Obama sounds like Osama, this stuff is spouted regularly on drivetime radio over there

Colmustard wrote: »
    I think she more a product of her time, she wasn't speaking to empty halls and she had support from a broad section of Irish society, including the church and therefore the government. I wouldn't demonise her, no more then I would demonise any conservative in anytime.

Social progress or regress, depending on which side of the fence you are on happens for a host of reasons, then a funny thing happens to conservatives they embrace the new values and want to keep it that way. That becomes their new conservatism. For example you don't get any republicans in America wanting a return to apartheid.

Probelm is, some of the conservatives over here want to go back to the Christian Brothers era.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭amadain17

CTYIgirl wrote: »
    One of the Ten Commandments is "Do unto others as you would like others to do unto you."

Thats not one of the ten commandments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

What a truly obnoxious cúnt she was.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Advertisement