Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Is this woman not some sort of founding figure / mascot of Yuff Defence?

Yeah half her family are in youth defence

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

What a truly obnoxious cúnt she was.:mad:

Couldn't have put it more eloquently myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 drogtastic

One of those hate filled, bigoted, brainwashed, idiot product of a very disturbed and dysfunctional hypocritical society. The problem with these people is they try to pass all their hatred and supernatural fantasies onto the young ones too. Mind you some of them get houses out of it unlike the majority of unpaid manipulated 'useful idiots' in yuff defense

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Speaking as a woman, I hope Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna and her ilk get everything they deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

It sounds like if the housewives crowd had gotten their way (and were given fre reign) we'd be every bit as bad as Saudi, Qatar and Libya when it comes to the state interfering with every day life.

Women would have zero rights (it hurts even more that it was girl on girl attacks on this too) and be treated as a baby farm due to lack of contraceptives.

Gays would be criminalised simply for being who they were.

There would be thousands of miserable households, driven to madness and perhaps even violence due to the lack of divorce available- therefore trapped in loveless (and maybe hate-filled) marriages.

Jesus, I give out about this country a fair bit, but I'll take it in its current state any time over the dystopia outlined above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Míshásta

drogtastic wrote: »
    One of those hate filled, bigoted, brainwashed, idiot product of a very disturbed and dysfunctional hypocritical society. The problem with these people is they try to pass all their hatred and supernatural fantasies onto the young ones too. Mind you some of them get houses out of it unlike the majority of unpaid manipulated 'useful idiots' in yuff defense

I'm not a supporter of Youth Defence or their objectives.

However you accuse others of being "hate filled". There's a fair bite of 'hate' displayed in your own msg.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,650 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Well worth a read on the whole Youth Defence / Coir / Prolife etc movement in Ireland: http://geoffsshorts.blogspot.ie/2012/09/youth-defence-money-shot.html

Míshásta wrote: »

However you accuse others of being "hate filled". There's a fair bite of 'hate' displayed in your own msg.

In fairness antagonistic, judgmental and self-righteous people (like those in Youth Defence) tend to stir up the aggression in me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Yeah half her family are in youth defence

Or to be more specific, half of Youth Defence are her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I love that letter from her. After three pages of nonsensicle griping:

"We therefore request a grant from your Government to enable us to compile a report on what the Irish housewives want."

The effing neck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

RainyDay wrote: »
    Or to be more specific, half of Youth Defence are her family.

Hmmmm... that's one thing to be said for throwing away the jonneys and treating women as baby farms. You grow a private army pretty sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Míshásta wrote: »

A lot of well-directed and well-deserved hate throughout this thread. Directed at people who really have earned it.

In making your point, I suspect you may remain mishasta (Ta bron orm. Taim gan 'fada' ar mo phon poca...) if you'll pardon the pun.

For the record, I'm an ardent opponent of yd and all their objectives. Both stated and unstated.

Is mise le meas and all that...

endacl wrote: »
    A lot of well-directed and well-deserved hate throughout this thread. Directed at people who really have earned it.

The day we don't get up in arms about their goings on is a sad day. We should never be complacent about this stuff-we were for far too long.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Given Saturday's anti-abortion protest rally in Dublin and the fact that Youth Defence and Co were key organisers, I though I'd just bump this thread along...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Demonique

Good riddance I hope her family and that other nutjob join her sooner rather than later

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Demonique wrote: »
    Good riddance I hope her family and that other nutjob join her sooner rather than later
    What is she dead or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭Sir Humphrey Appleby

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    What is she dead or something?
    Happily, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

Happily, yes.

When did this happen? Nothing in the news that I can see.

P.S. Not playing ass-kiss to the mods or anything, but I'll report my post here to bring it to their attention because, if it's true, as much as most people bear nothing but contempt for her political views, RIP threads for people like this can get very distasteful and read by relatives/friends etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Happily, yes.

Have you a link?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Happily, yes.

You're not confusing her with the other one, are you?

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0807/332466-mine-bean-ui-chribin/

To be honest, I hope she is still alvie and can see the progress she tried to hard to prevent being made and the cruelty she tired so hard to condone being exposed for the evil that it is.

She failed. She lost. Good triumped over evil. I hope she's aware of it.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

We'll start seeing some real changes in this country as that generation passes on. The grey vote is a force to be reckoned with. Give it twenty years and you won't know the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

We'll start seeing some real changes in this country as that generation passes on.

We really won't Doc tbh. Society will just find other issues to look down on people about while they take the high moral ground, lamenting the irresponsible youth of the next generation, etc.

The grey vote is a force to be reckoned with. Give it twenty years and you won't know the place.

I'm sure it's not lost on you either Doc that you'll be the grey vote in 20 years time.

Czarcasm wrote: »
    We really won't Doc tbh. Society will just find other issues to look down on people about while they take the high moral ground, lamenting the irresponsible youth of the next generation, etc.
    Nah, the differences between people born in the 40s and 50s and people born in the 70, 80s and 90s are stark, huge. The differences in living standards are equally vast. Back then Ireland was the far side of the moon. Hopefully we'll be able to take the best of both worlds when the time comes.
    I'm sure it's not lost on you either Doc that you'll be the grey vote in 20 years time.
    Nice try. ;)

Nah, the differences between people born in the 40s and 50s and people born in the 70, 80s and 90s are stark, huge.

Same people, different issues is my point. Society still has people it's quite happy to pretend don't exist, therefore the problems don't exist.

The differences in living standards are equally vast. Back then Ireland was the far side of the moon. Hopefully we'll be able to take the best of both worlds when the time comes.

There's a chasm between the social classes Doc that grows wider by the hour. For the most vulnerable people in society, the idea of ever climbing the social ladder to be on an equal footing with others is the equivalent of travelling to the moon. For most of them it's just never going to happen.

Nice try. ;)

I'm not trying anything Doc, only to have you realise that society won't change as much as you think it will, and in 20 years time, even 50 years time, there'll be another Doc Ruby proclaiming that society will change when the grey vote generation die off.

There's a chasm between the social classes Doc that grows wider by the hour.
    You've no idea what life was like in 1940s and 1950s Ireland do you.

I won't say I know exactly what it was like Doc, but I'd have a fair idea about the history of Irish society at the time, and I've talked to people of that generation. Even now I could tell you that when the Laundries were closed down, some women who weren't able to function in society are still holed up and shielded from society for their own protection.

They appreciate the coffee mornings once a week though for a bit of a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I'm not trying anything Doc, only to have you realise that society won't change as much as you think it will, and in 20 years time, even 50 years time, there'll be another Doc Ruby proclaiming that society will change when the grey vote generation die off.

I'm 28, and the distance between the society I was born into and the one I live in now is already enormous. It's unimaginable now that divorce was not legal here once, but that's the Ireland I grew up in.

The grey vote is still a force to be reckoned with, absolutely, but there is a brick wall between the pre- and post- Father Ted generation's mentality that I do not believe will disappear entirely as the latter ages. Certainly, people get more conservative as they get older, but I do not believe that they will suddenly regress back to the attitudes of their forefathers about women, gay people, the Church, etc the day they tick past 60.

And when that day comes, certainly, the generation after us will look at us as the "grey vote" - and it will be their turn to learn from our mistakes and push us out of the way to start fixing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

youd probably have thave been born in the 20s or 30s to really know what life was like in ireland back the 40s or 50s. when were you born? 80s? 90s? please do tell us all about life back in the 40s, im sure it will be fascinating stuff

Bambi wrote: »
    youd probably have thave been born in the 20s or 30s to really know what life was like in ireland back the 40s or 50s. when were you born? 80s? 90s? please do tell us all about life back in the 40s, im sure it will be fascinating stuff
    Still sore over getting your arse kicked in the lefties abandoning the unemployed thread?

• Advertisement

I'm 28, and the distance between the society I was born into and the one I live in now is already enormous. It's unimaginable now that divorce was not legal here once, but that's the Ireland I grew up in.

I'm only eight years older than you jill so it's not like I'm an old fart or anything, but divorce is still looked upon in Irish society as some terrible thing, etc.

Bigotry, racism, homophobia - rampant.

Looking down on the most vulnerable in society - rampant.

The old grey farts may die off, but their ideas are passed down to the next generation, and the one after that, and so on. So while all these laws might change (hell, we may even see marriage equality legalised in our lifetime, but no doubt they'll make a cack handed job of it, just like they did with divorce legislation, abortion legislation), it still won't change society. It still won't change human nature. The issues will change, but the attitude will remain the same.

The grey vote is still a force to be reckoned with, absolutely, but there is a brick wall between the pre- and post- Father Ted generation's mentality that I do not believe will disappear entirely as the latter ages. Certainly, people get more conservative as they get older, but I do not believe that they will suddenly regress back to the attitudes of their forefathers about women, gay people, the Church, etc the day they tick past 60.

The church hasn't been relevant in Irish society for the last 20 years, so I really DO wonder what excuse society will come up with to justify their treatment of their fellow human beings in 20 years time.

And when that day comes, certainly, the generation after us will look at us as the "grey vote" - and it will be their turn to learn from our mistakes and push us out of the way to start fixing them.

They'll be just as powerless as we are now to push anyone out of the way tbh. In just the same way as the current grey generation don't like change, we won't want to welcome change all that much either.

Advertisement