Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

There was a time when these people had real power and were not hesitant in using it.

Now they may be smaller but they are much more organised and extremely well funded. I would'nt be writing them off yet. No smugness and complacency please - the battle is'nt won yet.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

You Liberals out there .Have we a better ireland today than 50 years ago ? If we have.. then why is the Crime rate so high with murders suicides and criminal behaviours etc etc .Why are our streets so unsafe ? Why does every shop in dublin have cctv and a security man .
    Why is there so much security metal on shop fronts and doors and windows .Why are there so many young people on drugs and dying from them ? Why are our prisons full to overflow ? Why are there drunken children on the streets ? Why are the refuges for battered women unable to cope .Why have we so many AA Meetings around ireland for drink problems and drug problems too .A Better Ireland tell me about it .!!!! Why do many people stay in at night ??? Tell us !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

paddyandy wrote: »
    You Liberals out there .Have we a better ireland today than 50 years ago ? If we have.. then why is the Crime rate so high with murders suicides and criminal behaviours etc etc .Why are our streets so unsafe ? Why does every shop in dublin have cctv and a security man .
    Why is there so much security metal on shop fronts and doors and windows .Why are there so many young people on drugs and dying from them ? Why are our prisons full to overflow ? Why are there drunken children on the streets ? Why are the refuges for battered women unable to cope .Why have we so many AA Meetings around ireland for drink problems and drug problems too .A Better Ireland tell me about it .!!!! Why do many people stay in at night ??? Tell us !

Rubbish- of course it is a better Ireland - the only reason the crime rate was so low back in this neverland of yours is that we had fu&k all worth stealing.

As for the alcoholism etc - that was always there - we just never faced up to it. Just swept it under the carpet like the battered wives, Magdelene Laundries, sexually abused kids .

How I hate this everything was rosy in the garden s*+te , for some it was paradise , for most it was purgatory , and for the most vulnerable it was a living hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

marienbad wrote: »
    Rubbish- of course it is a better Ireland - the only reason the crime rate was so low back in this neverland of yours is that we had fu&k all worth stealing.

As for the alcoholism etc - that was always there - we just never faced up to it. Just swept it under the carpet like the battered wives, Magdelene Laundries, sexually abused kids .

How I hate this everything was rosy in the garden s*+te , for some it was paradise , for most it was purgatory , and for the most vulnerable it was a living hell.

This. alot of things were very hushed, all this sexual abuse only coming out of the woodwork recently, alot of people think Ireland back in the day was a wonderful place, I'm not saying it was hell, but there was always alcoholism and sexual abuse was rampant, people like Una are the sort that would install fear into anyone that was sexually abused, terrified to say anything in case they were classed as a '' tart'' '' slut '' etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Ferryhouse or Letterfrack or Artane, terrorising children... criminalising & tormenting homosexuals... rape within marriage... women and men being forced to live in miserable, unhappy relationships. A ban on condoms, preventing couples from controlling their own family life.

The demise of these miseries represented the first dawn of the Republic and I'll gladly swap them all for store detectives, whatever that (or the other problems you reference) have to do with 'liberal Ireland'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Because they closed down the magdalene laundries, copped on to sexual abuse in the church, gave women the vote, decriminalised homosexuality and suicide.........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

You paddyandys out there - do you honestly think things were better in Ireland 50 years ago, remember - the slums, the abject poverty, the ramapant abuse of clerical power etc etc? If you do it, could well be the onset of dementia, i'd get that checked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭emzolita

she sounds like yer one from the Westboro Baptist Church

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'd ask for some proof or eivdence that crime has risen, that teh problems you list didn;t exist in the 50s (no battered women? No relbelious teenagers?Come on!) but your m.o. of pulling opinions out of thin air, assumign everyone will accupt your facts blindly and then pettily ridiculing everyone who challenges it instead of providing a decent argument and sources is well documented, so I'll just point out this:

Crime levels are pretty much the same as they were back in the 50s. If anything, peope lare safer - especially kids - because organisations like the Catholic Chruch are closly monitored.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yea, remember when family life was controlled and dictated by the church? Where you couldn't say a bad word about a priest in fear of being reviled by your community, no matter what terrible things they did?

Where it was ok for teachers, priests and nuns to batter children in school for the stupidiest of reasons?

Young women supposedly acting like sluts were shipped off to Magdalene asylums?

Homosexuals and children out of wedlock were seen as heretics and sub-human?

Where people were forced to bury their young in obscure graves, away from communities so nobody could be directly associated with them, and everyone was forced to forget it ever existed all because the child wasn't baptised before it died? The parents then left with the grief that they are supposed to forget that their child ever existed because they were told it was the thing to do.

Paedophilia was so rampant and uncontrollable that it was considered a daft notion for anyone to accuse another person (usually a well-known, well-liked figure to people in an area) leaving the victim to be shunned / seen as an attention-seeking liar / told to shut their mouths.

Everything was swept under the carpet, you didn't see it, it didn't happen mentality.

You give a person 2 options, especially a person from that era, which time would they want to live in and you'll get your answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

she was obviously mad for sex, and could not stand the feel of condoms, all natural.

She should go on the game she can charge a premium for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

You can't argue or use reason with people like that. They are a shut-case mentally. (i.e. brainwashed).

If could have a conversation that would go something like this.

"How can you account for the sexual abuse of children by members of the clergy?"
    "Where did you hear such tripe?"
    "I read the Ryan report"
    "That's the devil tempting you!"

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

foxyboxer wrote: »
    You can't argue or use reason with people like that. They are a shut-case mentally. (i.e. brainwashed).

If could have a conversation that would go something like this.

"How can you account for the sexual abuse of children by members of the clergy?"
    "Where did you hear such tripe?"
    "I read the Ryan report"
    "That's the devil tempting you!"

I see.

"I was raped by a priest."
    "It was your own fault. You did somethign to deserve it. You should be thankful."

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No, there was no alcoholism in Ireland until 1991, when a man decided "jaysus, sure I'll have another, seein as I have the few bob". Thus was born the era of modern drinking in Ireland. The horror had begun.....

Likewise there was no crime, and any comments about higher murder rates, emmigration, or first generation irish and organised crime abroad are just inconvenient facts, which, like single mothers chucked in a laundry, can be ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I was only born in the 70's so I dont really remember the 50's

So who here was born in the 30s-40's and can remember the 50's?

Paddyandy me oul' flower, you a 30's child? A war baby?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The wife swapping sodomites must be drunken violent murderers as well.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The wife swapping sodomites must be drunken violent murderers as well.

Sure whats the point of sodomy if you don't get in on the wife swappin? It'd be like going to a 3-d movie but not wearing the glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Nodin wrote: »
    Sure whats the point of sodomy if you don't get in on the wife swappin? It'd be like going to a 3-d movie but not wearing the glasses.

Maybe some husband on husband action?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Maybe some husband on husband action?

And why not. Equal opportunities and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Since most of what you have said has already been refuted. I'll touch upon your increase in suicides, unfortunately our stats in regards to suicide are historically inaccurate. In recent years, It's become clear that Ireland has severe issues recognising mental health issues and providing assistance. Previously, I believe church funerals were denied if the person committed suicide as it was considered a mortal sin (still is in fact) so deaths simply weren't marked down on paper as suicides, hence the inaccurate stats.

At least we are finally taking preventative measures against suicide. Alcoholics are no longer people who are simply 'fond of a drink' and get the treatment they need. Women were beaten but did not have an option to divorce or leave their husbands, fifty years ago. Your argument is basically a golden age argument that are rarely in any way accurate as has been proven by previous posters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Corkfeen wrote: »
    Since most of what you have said has already been refuted. I'll touch upon your increase in suicides, unfortunately our stats in regards to suicide are historically inaccurate. In recent years, It's become clear that Ireland has severe issues recognising mental health issues and providing assistance. Previously, I believe church funerals were denied if the person committed suicide as it was considered a mortal sin (still is in fact) so deaths simply weren't marked down on paper as suicides, hence the inaccurate stats.

At least we are finally taking preventative measures against suicide.

+ 1

I heard an interview with a suicide prevention spokesperson where he said there was evidence from Irish families he spoke to that a lot of boys were committing suicide because of their sexuality.
    It could make you weep. I can't imagine it was better for people fifty years ago.

I can't find any links directly related to Ireland but there are some references on wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_among_LGBT_youth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Why are the refuges for battered women unable to cope ?
    Because we now recognise that domestic violence is common, but unacceptable. There's much more education and support (although not yet enough) and a woman who tells her family she's being beaten by her husband will far more likely hear the people who love her tell her to leave. 30+ years ago they would have told her to hush up and try not to antagonise him. Women still die by the partner's hands, but thankfully not nearly the same amount.
    Why have we so many AA Meetings around ireland for drink problems and drug problems too .
    Because there didn't used to be that kind of support, and if there was, people would have been thought of as weak for using it. Another glowing representation of our lovely attitude towards mental health in years gone by.
    A Better Ireland tell me about it .!!!! Why do many people stay in at night ??? Tell us !
    I don't. I lead a rich and full life, working and socialising in the city centre. Maybe there's something wrong that you feel you can't leave your house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Im now convinced that the religious right are in fact a secret group of trolls who are very good trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

I see she is a sister of Larry White who was killed by the Official IRA and allegedley the trigger was pulled by the husband of a certain Labour TD(we all know who it was but i'm sure its not the kind of thing you can post on here). I recall, as a young republican new to the scene, asking why did republicans never seem to join in with the commemoration of Larry Whites death, as he had been in and around a number of republican groups before his death(saor eire and the INLA). I was told by more senior activists it was because the whole thing was dominated by his family who were far right catholic nationalist nutters and it was best that republicans not link themselves to their crazy views. How right they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I've rarely seen AH's come together to hand out such an internet beat down as PaddyAndy has just received

Well done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Why do many people stay in at night ??? Tell us !

Because they're not stupid enough to pay €5 for a pint of Carlsberg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Its idiotic rants like this that give conservatives a bad name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Its idiotic rants like this that give conservatives a bad name
    ah leave him alone,he's only getting in some practice for when he's goes for a job with the daily mail,(hopefully he'll remember to use paragraph's!)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I see she is a sister of Larry White who was killed by the Official IRA and allegedley the trigger was pulled by the husband of a certain Labour TD(we all know who it was but i'm sure its not the kind of thing you can post on here).

Given that it's a matter of court record that the guy was convicted but had it quashed on appeal due to a technicality, I don't see the problem

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

To answer the question a poster on this thread asked as to why I started this thread on Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna, it was to remind posters, espcially younger posters, of how backward Ireland was not so long ago and to show that people like her - religious fundamentalist crazed zealots whith no empathy or understanding of humanity - are not just restricted to the bible belt of the USA or the loyalist community up North.

There may be much fewer of these people today in Ireland (thankfully!) but they are still around and they need to be watched.

Know thine enemy.

Advertisement