Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

it was illegal to buy condoms in shops in Ireland in my lifetime, that is absolutely staggering to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

krudler wrote: »
    it was illegal to buy condoms in shops in Ireland in my lifetime, that is absolutely staggering to me.

It was also illegal to import them, packets sent by friends were routinely destroyed at the post office by Customs & Excise.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Bambi wrote: »
    Given that it's a matter of court record that the guy was convicted but had it quashed on appeal due to a technicality, I don't see the problem

I suppose you're right. It was Bernard Lynch, husband of Labour minister Kathleen Lynch and brother of Ciaran Lynch Labour TD. It is often said that Bernard would of been a TD if it weren't for his 'alleged' part in the murder and he is the brains behind alot of the goings on in the Labour Party. It is my understanding that Lynch and the other stickies killed Larry White over a disagreement over some money from a robbery rather than for any ideological reason though it did occur during a time with the Stickies were in a violent feud with other republicans after a split had created the IRSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It was illegal to be gay in Ireland in your lifetime. That should be even more staggering.

Condoms at least have some semi-logical and secular arguments against them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Women were not allowed to serve on juries in my lifetime.

Just two years before I was born, women in the public sector were not allowed to work after they were married.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

She's an Irish, crappier, less extreme version of the Westboro Baptist church.

Wouldn't give her any attention aside from a snigger and a pat on the head.:)

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Women were not allowed to serve on juries in my lifetime.

Just two years before I was born, women in the public sector were not allowed to work after they were married.

Indeed , my older sister had to give up a top job in the Dept. of Finance and that was the early 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

HoggyRS wrote: »
    I suppose you're right. It was Bernard Lynch, husband of Labour minister Kathleen Lynch and brother of Ciaran Lynch Labour TD. I

Pure speculation, but the stickies had a habit of leaning on smaller splinter groups to force them to hand over cash or guns. My family would have known some of the saor eire crowd back then and they were accomplished bank robbers apparently. A small splinter group with mucho cash would have been very attractive to the predatory officials

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I included a questionnaire in my undergrad thesis (it was on the legacy of the Irish Women's Lib Movement) and asked several girls my own ages when they thought condoms were made legal here- most of them said the 70s. I think it was actually 1993 that you could start buying them in the shop properly.

To give a true picture we should make a list of all those things you could/ could'nt do before 1970 and after 1970 and put to bed this notion of a an Irish version of Camelot now irretrievably lost . Here is a start-

No divorce
    No contraception
    No last rite for suicides
    No women on Juries
    No married women in Civil Service
    Women incarcerated without any process or appeal
    No attendance by catholics at Trinity without church dispensation .
    Homosexuality illegal
    Books banned on foot of a complaint from any crackpot.
    Films etc cut (mutilated) or banned
    Minimum standards required to commit to a mental asylum ( a GP or a Guard was enough- though I could be wrong on that one)

Plus the myriad ''doff the forelock/two bags full sir'' unspoken customs that were a routine part of social life

Thank God for Donogh O'Malley and free education.

And that is just off the top of my head - cruel times and absolutely horrible and frightening if you were anyway different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

marienbad wrote: »
    To give a true picture we should make a list of all those things you could/ could'nt do before 1970 and after 1970 and put to bed this notion of a an Irish version of Camelot now irretrievably lost . Here is a start-

No divorce
    No contraception
    No last rite for suicides
    No women on Juries
    No married women in Civil Service
    Women incarcerated without any process or appeal
    No attendance by catholics at Trinity without church dispensation .
    Homosexuality illegal
    Books banned on foot of a complaint from any crackpot.
    Films etc cut (mutilated) or banned
    Minimum standards required to commit to a mental asylum ( a GP or a Guard was enough- though I could be wrong on that one)

Plus the myriad ''doff the forelock/two bags full sir'' unspoken customs that were a routine part of social life

Thank God for Donogh O'Malley and free education.

And that is just off the top of my head - cruel times and absolutely horrible and frightening if you were anyway different.

Don't forget being sent to the Magdalene Laundries for looking sideways at a boy/being raped/showing any sort of spirit or personality that the nuns didn't like the look of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Paging Paddyandy............ Paddyandy to reception please...

Oh, hold on, he's probably watching the boxing...........
    paddyandy wrote: »
    Girls to consider becoming boxers ;is that good for boys and girls and is this money at play for new markets ? What will it mean for the problems of Violence in Society ?
    A new level ? Boys and girls hitting each other in a serious way ? What is Katey doing ?
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

It was also illegal to import them, packets sent by friends were routinely destroyed at the post office by Customs & Excise.

My father-in-law brought some back from Birmingham in the 1970s and ended up sticking them behind some wallpaper he put up in a priest's house for the laughs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Im now convinced that the religious right are in fact a secret group of trolls who are very good trolling.

True also for the trolling satanist/darwinist. Fact of life that people will have some bizarre views

• Registered Users Posts: 10,749 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Indeed , my older sister had to give up a top job in the Dept. of Finance and that was the early 70's.
    She would have been aware of that rule when she took the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

padd b1975 wrote: »

Should it matter?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Should it matter?
    It matters in the context that no matter how good a woman was in her job, if she got married she would have to resign her position.

I think it would comprimise a lot of womens motivation and dedication to their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It matters in the context that no matter how good a woman was in her job, if she got married she would have to resign her position.

I think it would comprimise a lot of womens motivation and dedication to their job.

Possibly. But then employers would have been aware of rhe same thing. Anyway, whether she was aware or not, if she was good at the job and the saw said she had to go, it makes you wonder how many other people had to give up jobs in similar situations, and how much the country missed out on.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Possibly. But then employers would have been aware of rhe same thing. Anyway, whether she was aware or not, if she was good at the job and the saw said she had to go, it makes you wonder how many other people had to give up jobs in similar situations, and how much the country missed out on.
    It missed out on quite a lot clearly, but thankfully that law is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

:confused:

• Advertisement

:confused:
    There used to be a rule where women would have to resign from the Irish Civil Service once they got married.

I believe this rule stopped many bright women from applying to join because ultimatly there efforts to progress up the career ladder would be in vain.

I also believe that some of those women who did join may have lacked dedication because of this rule.

Hope this makes you a little less confused.

And that makes it right How ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭poeticseraphim

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Most boardies won't have heard of Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna.

Her anti-divorce, anti-contraception, anti-abortion, anti-gay rights and pretty much everything else anti-secular campaigns were at their height long before most on this site were even born.

But Una is the mother of Niamh, the person who founded Youth Defense and Coir. She is a religious fanatic and famously told pro-divorce campaigners at the result of the divorce referendum back in 1995 that they were "a bunch of wife swapping sodomites."

This is what Una had to say back in the 1970s about women's rights campaigners:

If you want to learn a little about Una, take a look at the link below:
    http://comeheretome.wordpress.com/2012/07/29/una-bean-mhic-mhathuna-40-years-of-reactionary-politics/

I used to know the daughte Niamh she was in ceoiltas ceoltoiri ...
    I actually believe it's all to get noteriety ...

She never came accross as political...

Only very into Irish culture and in promoting it ...she was not the type to get overly involved in politics and in fact came accross as quite the independant liberaed woman.

I think it is simply oppertunistic...she flys to the states to 'create a culture of life'

I think it's all a scam..she raises money and funds for her 'Life' institute

She consistantly lies and uses conspiracy theories on her blogs and in her articles claiming she is being censored. And that the pro-life camp have hundreds of US billionaires funding them ..erm why???

She was on Vincent Browne and he chastised her for using a ' false premise'..as she was bascially making stuff up and lying her head off..

She then went on her blog and went on about how she was being censored and it was a govt conspiracy against her..

She claimed young woman (for example the c case) were forced into having abortions against their will by social services..

She just does it to scam money...you should see the comments she gets on that site of hers

They are praise the lord this and hey my cult tells me this ( ok i made that one up)

Seriously when i knew her a few years ago the daughter she was not at all political admittedly we never got into it but even so.

It comes accross as someone trying to gain noteriety and well make a business out of it...they take international trips and such supposedly to 'build a pro-life culture' but what gives her the right to go to any other country and set up there....

I don't actually think she does much for the cause.

They are crazy or simply out to get what they can from it

That is my take

It is a pity such people are on either side..i dislike extremism.

Just to be honest i am pro-choice by the way ..so make of that wat you will

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I and my family were in primary school with Mena Bean Ui Cribbeens kids..

They were permanently filthy; dirty ragged clothes and she was an utter lunatic at all levels..

The school was All-Irish and she refused to speak to anyone who couldn't speak Irish and in fact wanted all children of non-Irish speaking parents removed from the school as they clearly weren't of "pure" enough stock..

My sisters went to secondary with the girls and the stories of how she wouldn't allow the girls to use any kind of sanitary towels and the like due to some religous view of them being "unnatural" , leaving them filthy and utterly ashamed were appalling..

Kids were totally brainwashed though, even though they hated their lives and were in a permanent state of fear they wouldn't have a word said again their Witch of a mother..

When her involvement in that Roscommon court case came out I wasn't in the least bit surprised, based on my knowledge of how her own kids were brought up..

For anyone that knows Santry as it was in the 80's , their family home was the lean-to shack behind the trees at the corner of Santry stadium opposite the Swiss cottage. It looked derelict, but it wasn't;they lived in that ****-hole.

She was a truly objectionable human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Quin_Dub wrote: »

They were permanently filthy; dirty ragged clothes and she was an utter lunatic at all levels..

The school was All-Irish and she refused to speak to anyone who couldn't speak Irish and in fact wanted all children of non-Irish speaking parents removed from the school as they clearly weren't of "pure" enough stock..

My sisters went to secondary with the girls and the stories of how she wouldn't allow the girls to use any kind of sanitary towels and the like due to some religous view of them being "unnatural" , leaving them filthy and utterly ashamed were appalling..

Kids were totally brainwashed though, even though they hated their lives and were in a permanent state of fear they wouldn't have a word said again their Witch of a mother..

When her involvement in that Roscommon court case came out I wasn't in the least bit surprised, based on my knowledge of how her own kids were brought up..

For anyone that knows Santry as it was in the 80's , their family home was the lean-to shack behind the trees at the corner of Santry stadium opposite the Swiss cottage. It looked derelict, but it wasn't;they lived in that ****-hole.

That's absolutely shocking, her kids never really had a chance so, total control freak:eek: . It's mental how a woman can be so bitter against her own gender.

And that makes it right How ?
    I don't think it was right.

It was an unavoidable scenario for women at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Now is the time to slander her with these unsubstantiated smears, one day after she died.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    Now is the time to slander her with these unsubstantiated smears, one day after she died.

We should probably just stick to the substantiated parts then, which there's plenty off.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Im sure in the local area it was common knowledge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Aye. 24 hours late. Sure he might as well not have bothered.

Advertisement