Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Atlantis50

Sharrow wrote: »
    Scary part, is what she got up to with her best friend who died today.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0807/mine-bean-ui-chribin.html

Where does it say Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna had anything to do with the case?

How do we even know they were friends?

What a load of saddos on this thread getting a kick out of putting the boot in on a pair of old women (one of whom has just died) who practically nobody agrees with (I certainly don't agree with them).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The woman was a nut case and possible mentally ill, I think programs like the late late show should take some responsibility for having her on to promote her viewers ...The producers of those programs knew having her and people like her on generated publicity...it also gave the impression that her view were more wide spread that they were... it wouldn't happen so much today people are a lot more coped on about being malipitated...or maybe she would be on the Scot Williams phone in ( just to get the rating up )

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

Atlantis50 wrote: »
    putting the boot in on a pair of old women (one of whom has just died) who practically nobody agrees with (I certainly don't agree with them).

are you taking the piss

read the news you ignorant twat

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0807/mine-bean-ui-chribin.html
    Mrs Bean Uí Chribín was also involved in a High Court injunction in 2000, which stopped the HSE taking a Roscommon woman’s six children into care.
    She supported the woman in court. The mother was later jailed for seven years for neglect. The incident came to be known as the ''Roscommon House of Horrors'' case.

she was an awful excuse for a human being that helped prolong child abuse for years, her actions directly contributed to this. she's is as bad as those bishops shuffling priests around the country for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

She represented everything reprehensible about an era in Irish society.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where does it say Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna had anything to do with the case?

What a load of saddos on this thread getting a kick out of putting the boot in on a pair of old women (one of whom has just died) who practically nobody agrees with (I certainly don't agree with them).

I belive one of them aided and abetted the abuse of a family of children in roscommon. That;s not the kind of thing that gets forgiven around here.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

They were friends on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

The Irish version of the phelps family....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

As a former member of youth defence back in the mid 90's (I was very misguided) I can confirm that Una & Mina were indeed very well acquainted. Una was & probably still is a bigoted, spiteful woman who had connections to all sorts of groups internationally included the international third position (implicated in a bombing in Italy in the 1980's). I knew all the kids , Niamh, Una, Sorcha, Idé, Lorcan, Donal etc & their respective partners! Some of the kids were in my opinion browbeaten but harmless & I remember feeling sorry for them because they weren't really worldwide thanks to Mammy.

I do recall a big scandal when one of the daughters was caught cheating on her fiancé but as he dumped her it subsided. YD used to plan protests at gay pride parades & used to openly discuss slashing the tyres in the floats, used to attack staff in the family planning centre when it was on Cathal Brugha street & when Virgin Meastore was on the quays used to pocket it on a regular basis. They also hosted many prominent figures from various far right movements including one Vicky Weaver from the USA whose mother was killed in Ruby Ridge.

There is a lot skeletons in YD's/Unás closet but due to the influence & fear they inspired most I it never saw te light of day. These people are still dangerous. When I left YD I had to move house as I had been threatened by skinheads who were 'affilaited' with YD. I had to change jobs because of them. These people are an anachronism & should be treated as such but people shouldn't make the mistake of dismissing them or ignoring them. The best revenge people can have is to live life & enjoy it. That really pisses them off.

It was through my involvement with YD that I met Uná (also the fact I grew up in Ballymun). She was well known in the vicinity for her views & her children were exactly as described by previous posters. The only redeeming feature of her I can remember is that she nursed her late husband Gus through a debilitating illness for years instead of carting him off to a home. She regularly caused trouble by refusing to process single parent payments (mickey money), wouldn't allow children from single parent families or unmarried families attend the school she allowed be built on her lands & regularly convinced them that Lucifer had claimed them. The involvement in the X case, C case, Roscommon & many others yet to see the light of day mean that Ireland is a better place now that we've progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Bassfish

The Skulls wrote: »
    As a former member of youth defence back in the mid 90's (I was very misguided) I can confirm that Una & Mina were indeed very well acquainted. Una was & probably still is a bigoted, spiteful woman who had connections to all sorts of groups internationally included the international third position (implicated in a bombing in Italy in the 1980's). I knew all the kids , Niamh, Una, Sorcha, Idé, Lorcan, Donal etc & their respective partners! Some of the kids were in my opinion browbeaten but harmless & I remember feeling sorry for them because they weren't really worldwide thanks to Mammy.

I do recall a big scandal when one of the daughters was caught cheating on her fiancé but as he dumped her it subsided. YD used to plan protests at gay pride parades & used to openly discuss slashing the tyres in the floats, used to attack staff in the family planning centre when it was on Cathal Brugha street & when Virgin Meastore was on the quays used to pocket it on a regular basis. They also hosted many prominent figures from various far right movements including one Vicky Weaver from the USA whose mother was killed in Ruby Ridge.

There is a lot skeletons in YD's/Unás closet but due to the influence & fear they inspired most I it never saw te light of day. These people are still dangerous. When I left YD I had to move house as I had been threatened by skinheads who were 'affilaited' with YD. I had to change jobs because of them. These people are an anachronism & should be treated as such but people shouldn't make the mistake of dismissing them or ignoring them. The best revenge people can have is to live life & enjoy it. That really pisses them off.

It was through my involvement with YD that I met Uná (also the fact I grew up in Ballymun). She was well known in the vicinity for her views & her children were exactly as described by previous posters. The only redeeming feature of her I can remember is that she nursed her late husband Gus through a debilitating illness for years instead of carting him off to a home. She regularly caused trouble by refusing to process single parent payments (mickey money), wouldn't allow children from single parent families or unmarried families attend the school she allowed be built on her lands & regularly convinced them that Lucifer had claimed them. The involvement in the X case, C case, Roscommon & many others yet to see the light of day mean that Ireland is a better place now that we've progressed.

Good post, interesting to hear the inside view, I'd be interested to know what tactics the YD use to recruit and indoctrinate young people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭The Skulls

People would be recruited through various means, if someone appeared religious then that approach would be used, impressionable people were easy pickings, college campuses were targeted as a lot of 'sheltered' kids from the country would be recruited. An active social life was promoted ie drinking. Skinheads were recruited as they were anti abortion for racist reasons & weren't afraid to fight YD's opponents SWP etc. not all YD's members were bigots. Some were genuine people who could be described as harmless & naive & they'd be the ones paraded to the media but these were also people who were deliberately kept out of the organisations inner workings.

The fascist/far right connections were never meant to be public knowledge but were a substantial source of funding & support. Justin Barret/Slevin's attendance of far right rallies in Europe is well documented ( knew him well enough to be invited to his wedding). Many is an opponent whose home has been picketed. Many are ministers in the current govt. what is worrying now (and back then) was the level of support within the judiciary eg Rory O'Hanlon. Sound much for the impartiality of the judiciary. Many court cases never made it to court as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I've ****in had it with religious people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

''We do not want contraception, abortion, divorce, homosexuality, secular schools or any of the trappings of an uninspiring secular Ireland''

We dont want you either you bitter oul cow.

Horrible vile woman.

We are all entitled to our opinions but apart from the abortion bit, I disagree with Una's sentiments. The 'We' she refers to does not constitute all of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Splendour wrote: »
    We are all entitled to our opinions but apart from the abortion bit, I disagree with Una's sentiments. The 'We' she refers to does not constitute all of Ireland.

Thank you for pointing that out but yes, I've gathered what her ''we'' meant..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I and my family were in primary school with Mena Bean Ui Cribbeens kids..

They were permanently filthy; dirty ragged clothes and she was an utter lunatic at all levels..

The school was All-Irish and she refused to speak to anyone who couldn't speak Irish and in fact wanted all children of non-Irish speaking parents removed from the school as they clearly weren't of "pure" enough stock..

My sisters went to secondary with the girls and the stories of how she wouldn't allow the girls to use any kind of sanitary towels and the like due to some religous view of them being "unnatural" , leaving them filthy and utterly ashamed were appalling..

Kids were totally brainwashed though, even though they hated their lives and were in a permanent state of fear they wouldn't have a word said again their Witch of a mother..

When her involvement in that Roscommon court case came out I wasn't in the least bit surprised, based on my knowledge of how her own kids were brought up..

For anyone that knows Santry as it was in the 80's , their family home was the lean-to shack behind the trees at the corner of Santry stadium opposite the Swiss cottage. It looked derelict, but it wasn't;they lived in that ****-hole.

She was a truly objectionable human being.

Which school's would that be and which years? Not too hard for some people here to confirm what you're saying :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I've ****in had it with religious people.

Well do you know what, I wouldn't blame you.

Im religious in my own little way but I'm wholeheartedly sick of the likes of these women, and there are more like them, preaching utter shiite.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quin_Dub View Post
    I and my family were in primary school with Mena Bean Ui Cribbeens kids..

They were permanently filthy; dirty ragged clothes and she was an utter lunatic at all levels..

The school was All-Irish and she refused to speak to anyone who couldn't speak Irish and in fact wanted all children of non-Irish speaking parents removed from the school as they clearly weren't of "pure" enough stock..

My sisters went to secondary with the girls and the stories of how she wouldn't allow the girls to use any kind of sanitary towels and the like due to some religous view of them being "unnatural" , leaving them filthy and utterly ashamed were appalling..

Kids were totally brainwashed though, even though they hated their lives and were in a permanent state of fear they wouldn't have a word said again their Witch of a mother..

When her involvement in that Roscommon court case came out I wasn't in the least bit surprised, based on my knowledge of how her own kids were brought up..

For anyone that knows Santry as it was in the 80's , their family home was the lean-to shack behind the trees at the corner of Santry stadium opposite the Swiss cottage. It looked derelict, but it wasn't;they lived in that ****-hole.

She was a truly objectionable human being.
    Which school's would that be and which years? Not too hard for some people here to confirm what you're saying

A close relative of mine also went to school with these girls - an Irish-speaking girls' secondary school on Dublin's northside - and she told me the very same thing. She said that the girls were filthy and because of that they were covered in spots. She also said that they were very nice girls but permanently terrified - I think they must have had terrible childhoods.

I don't like to generalise but there seems to be a lot of right-wing religious nutters who don't give a damn about children - including their own - once they're outside the womb.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Now is the time to slander her with these unsubstantiated smears, one day after she died.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Can't slander or defame a dead person.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

Sharrow wrote: »
    Can't slander or defame a dead person.

The way I see it is, she had no problem treating people atrociously all her life, so who gives a flying fuck about her now that she's dead? that would be hypocritical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

That's amazing.

It's intriguing in a way that would be farcical, if it weren't so serious for the people who suffered because of her & her ilk.

There's a book in this movement, if somebody would write it. It's a shame this woman didn't even write her own catelogue of epistles in an autobiography.

As someone else suggested earlier in the thread, the best preventative for this sort of mentality is its testament & ridicule in the rational light of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

Now is the time to slander her with these unsubstantiated smears, one day after she died.

You should be ashamed of yourself.
    It's not like she didn't do plenty of slandering of other people herself with unsubstantiated smears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Interesting profile of Mena from YouTube http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOouWNasmtU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Interesting profile of Una from YouTube http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOouWNasmtU

That there is all the condemnation ye need.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting profile of Una from YouTube http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YOouWNasmtU

Thats Mena not Una

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

Nodin wrote: »
    That there is all the condemnation ye need.

The bit about unmarried mothers being 'mistresses' has a real dark edge, she says, it is someone's son or husband involved with these 'things' it's not nice :confused:
    It seems she thinks the evil predatory teenage sluts are taking advantage of nice innocent catholic boys to score 34 pounds a week

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

The bit about unmarried mothers being 'mistresses' has a real dark edge, she says, it is someone's son or husband involved with these 'things' it's not nice :confused:
    It seems she thinks the evil predatory teenage sluts are taking advantage of nice innocent catholic boys to score 34 pounds a week

It's weird, its like men trip and fall through no fault of their own into the open legs and vaginas of temptresses, thereby impregnating them instantly and setting themselves up for a life of being taken advantage of. I wonder did something happen to her or someone close to her that makes her hate women and distrust them so much?

Does anyone know if YD has to publish a list of donors or accounts or where it gets its funding from? Likewise Coir, which spent a fair whack on the recent European referendums?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Thats Mena not Una

jaysus, it's like trying to remember which one is tweedle dum and which is tweedle dee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

But to be honest, thats not untypical. Theres a hate and fear of women as sexual beings. I remember the kind of crap that would be flung at various young ones - "disease", "dirty" - the idea they couldn't be trusted, that they always had ulterior motives (deliberately getting pregnant to get money off you or the state). Dire stuff. Jesus, I was a 16 year old labourer and I thought it was fuckin weird.....

And come october when that report about legislation for limited abortion comes out, I won't be suprised if that tone rears its head again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

Quote from the link in Notforsales sig
    What the fúck goes on in these whack jobs heads.
    Almost everyone has been murdered?? WTF
    The people who never existed vastly outnumber the ones who have?? Are they on fúcking acid over there in youth defense HQ??

it's nonsense isnt it! , I shudder at the thought of these people running the world:eek:

Hey!!, I thought WE we running the World......bummer. I'm handing back this bloody apron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Since when was legalising the death of an unborn child a "progressive" move? - If that's "modern", I want nothing to do with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

People would be recruited through various means, if someone appeared religious then that approach would be used, impressionable people were easy pickings, college campuses were targeted as a lot of 'sheltered' kids from the country would be recruited. An active social life was promoted ie drinking. Skinheads were recruited as they were anti abortion for racist reasons & weren't afraid to fight YD's opponents SWP etc. not all YD's members were bigots. Some were genuine people who could be described as harmless & naive & they'd be the ones paraded to the media but these were also people who were deliberately kept out of the organisations inner workings.

The fascist/far right connections were never meant to be public knowledge but were a substantial source of funding & support. Justin Barret/Slevin's attendance of far right rallies in Europe is well documented ( knew him well enough to be invited to his wedding). Many is an opponent whose home has been picketed. Many are ministers in the current govt. what is worrying now (and back then) was the level of support within the judiciary eg Rory O'Hanlon. Sound much for the impartiality of the judiciary. Many court cases never made it to court as a result.

On a serious note, I find your comment that some former members or associates could now be Government ministers, especially since our HQ is mere metres from the dail. Maybe its time to focus our resources on YD to see what lies beneath. I'm definitely going to mention it when we reconvene in September.

Advertisement