Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

hiram wrote: »
    On a serious note, I find your comment that some former members or associates could now be Government ministers, especially since our HQ is mere metres from the dail. Maybe its time to focus our resources on YD to see what lies beneath. I'm definitely going to mention it when we reconvene in September.

I read that as meaning currents ministers homes have been picketed.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

On a serious note, I find your comment that some former members or associates could now be Government ministers, especially since our HQ is mere metres from the dail. Maybe its time to focus our resources on YD to see what lies beneath. I'm definitely going to mention it when we reconvene in September.

Who's HQ?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

philologos wrote: »
    Since when was legalising the death of an unborn child a "progressive" move? - If that's "modern", I want nothing to do with it.

Off ye go then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

I read that as meaning currents ministers homes have been picketed.

Ah, I see. My bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Exactly, every Catholic knows you take the bible with a pinch of salt :P

They must use a lot of salt...

• Advertisement

Who's HQ?

Grand Lodge in Molesworth St.......I'm "one of them"....shhhhhh.

The people who killed Jesus for his catholic faith?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Since when was legalising the death of an unborn child a "progressive" move? - If that's "modern", I want nothing to do with it.

It's not modern, we've been doing it since forever.

Nodin wrote: »

Oh Dear. Masonry was formed in the 1700's and.....oh, nevermind.

How did we put up fancy buildings before that then?

• Advertisement

Nodin wrote: »

Actually, no. This will probably blow your mind. I'm Catholic AND a Mason!!
    Mad, eh Ted? In fact one third my mother Lodge are RC.

Actually, no. This will probably blow your mind. I'm Catholic AND a Mason!!

O thats ok. I though you were one of them protestants.

They invented contraception ye know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

This will probably blow your mind. I'm Catholic AND a Mason!!
    Mind. Blown.

Oh.Emm.Gee..

Bambi wrote: »

How did we put up fancy buildings before that then?

You see, this is the reason I have requested a separate Freemasonry Forum. Urrrrhh. Ok, back on topic, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

In fairness the rancid raving bitch epitomised the actual teachings of
    the R[URL="file://\\roman"]oman[/URL] C[URL="file://\\catholic"]atholic[/URL] church as it is today, to the Caridinal Bradys/O'Connells Ratzingers etc she was an ideal poster child , intolelant, bigoted, single minded and determined, the ideal sturmtrooper of modern Roman Catholicism.

You see, this is the reason I have requested a separate Freemasonry Forum. Urrrrhh. Ok, back on topic, sorry.

There isn't a secret one round the back already?

SocSocPol wrote: »
    In fairness the rancid raving bitch epitomised the actual teachings of
    the R[URL="file://\\roman"]oman[/URL] C[URL="file://\\catholic"]atholic[/URL] church as it is today, to the Caridinal Bradys/O'Connells Ratzingers etc she was an ideal poster child , intolelant, bigoted, single minded and determined, the ideal sturmtrooper of modern Roman Catholicism.

The likes of mena and una are about as far from modern catholicism as you can go, they consider the brady's, ratzy's et al to be heretics. You're just losing the run of yourself there. Actually you just sound a bit silly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

The likes of mena and una are about as far from modern catholicism as you can go, they consider the brady's, ratzy's et al to be heretics. You're just losing the run of yourself there. Actually you just sound a bit silly

Steady on Bambi - it depends on what perspective you are looking from. To me Ratzinger is just a outwardly less extreme and more polished version of the lady.

Ratzinger/Brady et al had to be dragged kicking fighting and screaming before accepting the issue of child abuse, thus facilitating it even further. They did it on a grand scale , she just on a local scale.

Be careful calling people silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Im now convinced that the religious right are in fact a secret group of trolls who are very good trolling.

What do you mean by the "religious right"?

You do know that right and left have to do with economical issues. You're probably talking about liberalism and conservatism.
    So you're saying that once you created a void in terms of religious values and all that malarkey, then society will naturally develop love and compassion?

Don't think so, as far as I can see we replaced one set of busybodies who think they know what's best for everyone with another set of busybodies who think they know whats best for everyone.

And the other imported religious nutters are coming along nicely and all, won't be long before that pack of nutters are making their presence felt

See the thing is I suspect that you're saying that anyone who has any faith of any kind at all is a nutter.

That's a highly obnoxious attitude to hold to other people isn't it?
    pragmatic1 wrote: »
    I've ****in had it with religious people.

Have you had it in with all, or just those of particular religions? I suspect when most people on boards.ie rant about religion it's generally to do with Roman Catholicism, because let's face it there wasn't that much choice in Ireland in comparison to other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

She was a just a little unhinged alright "ye wife-swapping sodomites!" but, I like most people I would imagine, had forgotten her existence until I saw this thread. I think we have bigger worries now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

That's a highly obnoxious attitude to hold to other people isn't it?

Yes, but no. Personally, I'm wary of people who make a decision based on religious values. I don't mind people who have principles, but that's different.

people with principles make decisions based on a combination of rationality and conscience. faith may play a part in this.

Religious people tend to make decisions based on dogma or advice from authoritiy figures. As in the "bible/torah/koran says so".

Grayson wrote: »
    Yes, but no. Personally, I'm wary of people who make a decision based on religious values. I don't mind people who have principles, but that's different.

people with principles make decisions based on a combination of rationality and conscience. faith may play a part in this.

Religious people tend to make decisions based on dogma or advice from authoritiy figures. As in the "bible/torah/koran says so".

It is a bigoted statement to say that all people of faith are nutters insofar as it would be a bigoted statement to say that all atheists are nutters.

Atheists like throwing around the word "rationality" but often don't explain why their point of view is any more rational.

I believe in God, and sure, I put my trust in His word for sure. If God is real, and God has revealed His word to us, that's the only truly rational way to live. If God created the world, He knows far better than I as to both how to live in Creation, and my ultimate identity. So yes, I put my full trust in Him, but more importantly there is reason why I do so.

By the by, I don't stop with just that the Bible says so. It's worth asking why the Bible says what it does. It's not about blindly following what's written in there. Many Christian churches, mine included encourage heavily that believers have a good personal knowledge of Scripture and spend time trying to understand it.

Making a distinction between "people with principles" and people who believe in Jesus is absurd. Both have principles they just have different principles. I'd go as far as to say that every person has a worldview, and their worldviews are based on differing sources, and as a result that worldview influences how they live.

As a Christian, my worldview is based on the Bible, and I live according to the principles that I learn as a result of that basis. Other people do the same thing, just the source differs, and the outcome can differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

By the by, I don't stop with just that the Bible says so. It's worth asking why the Bible says what it does. It's not about blindly following what's written in there. Many Christian churches, mine included encourage heavily that believers have a good personal knowledge of Scripture and spend time trying to understand it.

Unfortunately a lot of people do. Yes, he was generalisting, but I see his point: making a decision based on religius values ahead of your own personal exprereience is a bit cowardly.

"Ignore all the evidence of your eyes and your ears and believe only what we tell you: it was the party's final, most important command."
    - Orwell, 1984.
    Making a distinction between "people with principles" and people who believe in Jesus is absurd. Both have principles they just have different principles. I'd go as far as to say that every person has a worldview, and their worldviews are based on differing sources, and as a result that worldview influences how they live.

As a Christian, my worldview is based on the Bible, and I live according to the principles that I learn as a result of that basis. Other people do the same thing, just the source differs, and the outcome can differ.

The problem, I find, here is that Jesus' teachers are completely at odds with those of Christian religions. Not going into a Bible debate here, but Jesus encouraged people to be think for themselves. Religions do not.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Religion poisons everything - Christopher Hitchens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Religion poisons everything - Christopher Hitchens

Just because someone says something doesn't make it true - Daisy M

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Unfortunately a lot of people do. Yes, he was generalisting, but I see his point: making a decision based on religius values ahead of your own personal exprereience is a bit cowardly.

"Ignore all the evidence of your eyes and your ears and believe only what we tell you: it was the party's final, most important command."
    - Orwell, 1984.

My personal experience is one of the reasons why I regard the Bible as true. Realistically, if I believe God is the Creator of the universe, then why shouldn't I trust Him and His word? I also don't see how it is "cowardly". I just don't get why people insist on making ignorant statements about Christians and Christianity on this forum time and time again. Is it really that difficult to accept that some of us believe in Jesus, and desire to live and speak for Him in our daily lives?

I think about my beliefs very carefully, and I'm actually rather skeptical as an individual, which extends to atheism also.
    Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    The problem, I find, here is that Jesus' teachers are completely at odds with those of Christian religions. Not going into a Bible debate here, but Jesus encouraged people to be think for themselves. Religions do not.

If you want to talk about what Jesus believed, we need to get into a Bible debate.

Personally, in many respects I agree with you. I'm thankful that my church spends most of its time and energy equipping people with the Bible so that they can make better decisions concerning it.

If I hear something which I think is unbiblical, I know I can ask my pastor to show me where he got it from Scripture. The idea that most Christians believe blindly is simply untrue as far as I can see.

Jesus established the church, and He sent the apostles out to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:20). It is clear that Jesus intended for the organised meeting of believers. He even speaks about church discipline in the Gospels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It is a bigoted statement to say that all people of faith are nutters insofar as it would be a bigoted statement to say that all atheists are nutters.

Atheists like throwing around the word "rationality" but often don't explain why their point of view is any more rational.

I believe in God, and sure, I put my trust in His word for sure. If God is real, and God has revealed His word to us, that's the only truly rational way to live. If God created the world, He knows far better than I as to both how to live in Creation, and my ultimate identity. So yes, I put my full trust in Him, but more importantly there is reason why I do so.

I didn't make any distinction like that. You're seeing what you want to see.

I said there are people who are principled. They may or may not have faith. I deliberately said that faith may be involved in the decision making process of a principled person. When they make a decision, they look at their own conscience and make a decision based on a rational process. faith may play it's part in that process, but it's not the only part.

there are others who do not allow themselves to think. They blindly follow the tenants of their faith without actually considering them. They are the people who will condemn a single mother because they either read it in a bible or a priest told them to. they are not acting rationally. Their decision making process goes no further than "what have i been told/What have I read in my religious tome?" People like the Westboro Baptist Church are good religious examples. But so are athiests like the Khmer Rouge. They are ruthlessly dogmatic.

And I simply stated that people like that, people who follow a dogma rigidly, scare the bejebus out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Heathens the lot of ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I think about my beliefs very carefully, and I'm actually rather skeptical as an individual, which extends to atheism also.
    What sort of batsh1t crazy statement is that? I don't think you really understand what atheism is.

Do you regard my non-belief in Thor or Zeus with scepticism?

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I said there are people who are principled. They may or may not have faith. I deliberately said that faith may be involved in the decision making process of a principled person. When they make a decision, they look at their own conscience and make a decision based on a rational process. faith may play it's part in that process, but it's not the only part.

there are others who do not allow themselves to think. They blindly follow the tenants of their faith without actually considering them. They are the people who will condemn a single mother because they either read it in a bible or a priest told them to. they are not acting rationally. Their decision making process goes no further than "what have i been told/What have I read in my religious tome?" People like the Westboro Baptist Church are good religious examples. But so are athiests like the Khmer Rouge. They are ruthlessly dogmatic.

And I simply stated that people like that, people who follow a dogma rigidly, scare the bejebus out of me.

Christians believe that Jesus came into the world not to condemn but to save (John 3:17). We see that Jesus had the quality of being able to befriend those with whom he disagreed while still standing against sin. The point of the Gospel is that Jesus showed grace towards sinners like me by His death and resurrection. The Bible teaches that all have sinned and fallen short of God's standard. (Romans 3:23). All I should do is say that God has called us all to repent of sin, and He came to forgive us so we stand right with God and live according to His standard. I'm no better than anyone else.

I am a bit skeptical when people quote The Westboro Baptist Church - a family church of 70 as an example of roughly 2bn people. Their teaching is detestable and unbiblical as I see it.

Advertisement