Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Una Bean Mhic Mhathuna - Foe of Modern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

philologos wrote: »
    I am a bit skeptical when people quote The Westboro Baptist Church - a family church of 70 as an example of roughly 2bn people. Their teaching is detestable and unbiblical as I see it.
    Ah, I see. The 'no true Scotsman' argument. Anyway most criticism of Christianity here is directed at the Catholic church, not some fringe cult.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Jimoslimos wrote: »
    Ah, I see. The 'no true Scotsman' argument. Anyway most criticism of Christianity here is directed at the Catholic church, not some fringe cult.
    By your fruits you will know them.

To claim the Westboro Baptist Church represent the whole of Christianity is silly and that's a fair point I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Daisy M wrote: »
    Just because someone says something doesn't make it true - Daisy M

Of course not but they are saying it in the name of religion and religion poisons everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭NotForResale

By your fruits you will know them.

To claim the Westboro Baptist Church represent the whole of Christianity is silly and that's a fair point I think.

Christianity and the Bible are a lot like a buffet really, people pick and choose to believe and follow the parts the find practical or suite their own individual prejudices.

As a result a westboro baptist meal could contain only some of the elements of the other christian meals. They're all eating at the same restaurant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,216 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I am a bit skeptical when people quote The Westboro Baptist Church - a family church of 70 as an example of roughly 2bn people. Their teaching is detestable and unbiblical as I see it.

I'm skeptical when people reference the bible.

But my point was to demonstrate a clear cut example of what i meant. If you wish i could focus on a subsection of the catholic church. But that would involve a long argument etc... the reason I used the westboro baptist church is because they are a clear cut example. It's very easy to see how they're messed up.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »

I'm skeptical when people reference the bible.

But my point was to demonstrate a clear cut example of what i meant. If you wish i could focus on a subsection of the catholic church. But that would involve a long argument etc... the reason I used the westboro baptist church is because they are a clear cut example. It's very easy to see how they're messed up.

If we're talking about Christian belief the Bible is going to come up. If people are going to make claims about what I believe then I'll correct these if mistaken. I am not ashamed in the slightest to say my belief is rooted in Scripture. I long for people to become more literate and knowledgable about the Bible, I'm even more passionate about people coming to know Jesus. The Bible is the only place where we can look to for this.

To pin my belief to the mast I'm a member of an evangelical CofE church in central London.

But honestly I think a much better discussion could be to discuss who Jesus is and what you make of Him. Even if human institutions of varying forms let people down. Rejecting Jesus is another argument all together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

Of course not but they are saying it in the name of religion and religion poisons everything.

Your wrong religion doesn't poison everything. There is no doubt that atrocities have been carried out in the name of religion but lots and lots of good has also been done. If religion didn't exist do you really think that these ladies and others like them would not find a way of spewing bile? Do you believe that children would not have been abused by peadophiles who lived under the guise of a cloak of respectability? I firmly believe that the priests who abused children would have found another way of infiltrating the lives of innocent people. These were well educated, clever manipulative people they would have sought careers in teaching, health care law, enforcement etc and they would have been protected by their, their chosen career would have demanded respect, their word would be believed over any child/children who tried to tell the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

The "no true Scotsman" argument is used by many Christians, as well as by people of other different world views, but to apply it to the Westboro Baptist Church is going too far, it's essentially an group of scan artists who have done well out of suing those who they claim have violated their First Amendment rights. They have as much to do with mainstream Christianity as the Khmer Rouge do to your average social democratic party.

My take on it is that of course a person's spiritual beliefs will influence their views on a variety of issues. When it comes to applying our beliefs in the area of public policy though, we have to make a case for them that will make sense to people with different faiths or no faith. Simply defending a proposed law because it relates to what is in the Bible won't be enough.

Daisy M wrote: »
    Your wrong religion doesn't poison everything. There is no doubt that atrocities have been carried out in the name of religion but lots and lots of good has also been done. If religion didn't exist do you really think that these ladies and others like them would not find a way of spewing bile? Do you believe that children would not have been abused by peadophiles who lived under the guise of a cloak of respectability? I firmly believe that the priests who abused children would have found another way of infiltrating the lives of innocent people. These were well educated, clever manipulative people they would have sought careers in teaching, health care law, enforcement etc and they would have been protected by their, their chosen career would have demanded respect, their word would be believed over any child/children who tried to tell the truth.

So it was thousands of paedophiles dressed up as priests who molested millions of children? That's what you are basically saying, if they were not priests then they would have found some other profession to get their kicks.

So it was thousands of paedophiles dressed up as priests who molested millions of children? That's what you are basically saying, if they were not priests then they would have found some other profession to get their kicks.
    RCC != all Christianity
    RCC != all religion
    Some priests in RCC != all priests in RCC

If you're wondering != is not equal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

If we're talking about Christian belief the Bible is going to come up. If people are going to make claims about what I believe then I'll correct these if mistaken. I am not ashamed in the slightest to say my belief is rooted in Scripture. I long for people to become more literate and knowledgable about the Bible, I'm even more passionate about people coming to know Jesus. The Bible is the only place where we can look to for this.

To pin my belief to the mast I'm a member of an evangelical CofE church in central London.

But honestly I think a much better discussion could be to discuss who Jesus is and what you make of Him. Even if human institutions of varying forms let people down. Rejecting Jesus is another argument all together.
    Had a very quick look at that website, clicked on some lecture and saw this statement: "Sexuality has become a matter of consumer choice, service is perceived through the crude lens of power relationships, and presumed individual rights now cancel out social and family responsibilities." and quickly came to the conclusion that this was very much a church Bhean Ui Chribin might have agreed with.

Nonsense in my opinion.

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Had a very quick look at that website, clicked on some lecture and saw this statement: "Sexuality has become a matter of consumer choice, service is perceived through the crude lens of power relationships, and presumed individual rights now cancel out social and family responsibilities." and quickly came to the conclusion that this was very much a church Bhean Ui Chribin might have agreed with.

Nonsense in my opinion.

It's nonsense that Christians look to the Bible as a basis for living their lives? Perhaps for an atheist certainly. I don't think it is all that odd that Christians would look to the Bible as an inspiration for all areas of their lives including sexuality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Only tonight I realised Im the biggest religious hyprocrite :V

Im Catholic, I never go to mass, I had a teenage pregnancy, I have one night stands, and I fooking love sex.

Yet If Im asked, Yes, I am a Catholic

People always say to me, "How can I be catholic if I don't go to mass?!"

Why the feck do you have to go to mass to prove you are religious?!

I treat people fairly and live my life in a manner that I am acting within my moral boundaries.

The amount of religious nuts I have heard verbally abuse people about having kids outside of marriage while they treat their own children like shite is maddening. Shower of nutters that I gave absolutely no time to.

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Vicar in a tutu

People always say to me, "How can I be catholic if I don't go to mass?!"

Why the feck do you have to go to mass to prove you are religious?!

I treat people fairly and live my life in a manner that I am acting within my moral boundaries.

The amount of religious nuts I have heard verbally abuse people about having kids outside of marriage while they treat their own children like shite is maddening. Shower of nutters that I gave absolutely no time to.

I agree. Live and let live. It doesnt matter if you go to church at all really, I think alot of the bible has been grossly taken out of context and some people live by it horribly, I some how dont think being catholic or whatever means you can abuse people or mistreat them for living how they want, as long as they arent hurting anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

My personal experience is one of the reasons why I regard the Bible as true. Realistically, if I believe God is the Creator of the universe, then why shouldn't I trust Him and His word? I also don't see how it is "cowardly". I just don't get why people insist on making ignorant statements about Christians and Christianity on this forum time and time again. Is it really that difficult to accept that some of us believe in Jesus, and desire to live and speak for Him in our daily lives?

I think about my beliefs very carefully, and I'm actually rather skeptical as an individual, which extends to atheism also.
    I'm not sayign you shouldn't. I'm sayign is that religion is at ods with what God/Jesus says.

I did not say people were ignorant because they accepted the word of Jesus, I said people were ignorant becuase the accepted blindly the word of a church.
    If you want to talk about what Jesus believed, we need to get into a Bible debate.

Personally, in many respects I agree with you. I'm thankful that my church spends most of its time and energy equipping people with the Bible so that they can make better decisions concerning it.

If I hear something which I think is unbiblical, I know I can ask my pastor to show me where he got it from Scripture. The idea that most Christians believe blindly is simply untrue as far as I can see.

Jesus established the church, and He sent the apostles out to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:20). It is clear that Jesus intended for the organised meeting of believers. He even speaks about church discipline in the Gospels.

Hang on: jesus established WHICH church? And what do you mean by the word "church"?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Whitehall9

Hi, I returned home from abroad today to be informed of the death of Mina Bean Uí Chroibín.
    I googled her name, expecting to find a forum where I could perhaps post my respects. Instead, I came across this thread. I read the first few pages but couldn't stand to read anymore as I actually found it quite upsetting to see people who never met or knew this women write such hateful and hurtful things about her.
    I knew Mina as a child, a teen, and into my early twenties. The Mina I knew is definitely not the one being spoken about in this thread.
    As a child I was never particularly academic. I didn't enjoy school, and tended to enjoy the more artistic classes and activities.
    My parents heard about Mina and the good work she did with children who struggled at school. Mina took me on and twice a week she provided grinds in maths and Irish, the subjects I found most difficult.
    She never took any payment for this service. Instead she asked that I joined the choir, which I gladly did, and enjoyed very much.
    Something I feel Important to mention is that within my class (grinds) were several teenage single mothers. These girls had dropped out of school and Mina helped them, free of charge, to complete their Junior and Leaving Certs.
    She then went on to help them apply and prep for further education and interviews.
    Never once did she cast judgement on them, Or try to guide them in any direction other than the one they wanted to pursue themselves.
    To be quite clear, these girls were never made to feel uncomfortable. Religion or opinion was not forced upon them at any time. The atmosphere was light and enjoyable.
    In all the years I was involved with Mina I was aware of her view on the world, but never was I encouraged to follow her views, nor did I ever feel pressurised to pretend.
    I retained my own views without any pressure or judgement. Without Mina I doubt I would have secured the results I did on leaving school.
    I owe her an awful lot, and although I respect that people here may not have much time for her opinions or views, please know that up close and personal these views were completely overshadowed by her kindness and the good that she did for so many.
    Please respect that is woman has a family, and friends, who do not deserve to see such nasty comments made about their mother / friend.
    It upset me to read it, so I have no doubt it would be heart breaking for them

She spouted hate and made life miserable for lots of people so may she rot in the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Whitehall9 wrote: »
    Hi, I returned home from abroad today to be informed of the death of Mina Bean Uí Chroibín.
    I googled her name, expecting to find a forum where I could perhaps post my respects. Instead, I came across this thread. I read the first few pages but couldn't stand to read anymore as I actually found it quite upsetting to see people who never met or knew this women write such hateful and hurtful things about her.
    I knew Mina as a child, a teen, and into my early twenties. The Mina I knew is definitely not the one being spoken about in this thread.
    As a child I was never particularly academic. I didn't enjoy school, and tended to enjoy the more artistic classes and activities.
    My parents heard about Mina and the good work she did with children who struggled at school. Mina took me on and twice a week she provided grinds in maths and Irish, the subjects I found most difficult.
    She never took any payment for this service. Instead she asked that I joined the choir, which I gladly did, and enjoyed very much.
    Something I feel Important to mention is that within my class (grinds) were several teenage single mothers. These girls had dropped out of school and Mina helped them, free of charge, to complete their Junior and Leaving Certs.
    She then went on to help them apply and prep for further education and interviews.
    Never once did she cast judgement on them, Or try to guide them in any direction other than the one they wanted to pursue themselves.
    To be quite clear, these girls were never made to feel uncomfortable. Religion or opinion was not forced upon them at any time. The atmosphere was light and enjoyable.
    In all the years I was involved with Mina I was aware of her view on the world, but never was I encouraged to follow her views, nor did I ever feel pressurised to pretend.
    I retained my own views without any pressure or judgement. Without Mina I doubt I would have secured the results I did on leaving school.
    I owe her an awful lot, and although I respect that people here may not have much time for her opinions or views, please know that up close and personal these views were completely overshadowed by her kindness and the good that she did for so many.
    Please respect that is woman has a family, and friends, who do not deserve to see such nasty comments made about their mother / friend.
    It upset me to read it, so I have no doubt it would be heart breaking for them
    Whitehall9 the new cover name for Youth Defence/Coir?

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    I'm not sayign you shouldn't. I'm sayign is that religion is at ods with what God/Jesus says.

What religion? - If you're going to make claims about what God or Jesus said, we need to walk through what they did say about meeting together as Christians in the Bible.
    I did not say people were ignorant because they accepted the word of Jesus, I said people were ignorant becuase the accepted blindly the word of a church.

I don't accept blindly the word of any church. I attend church because I think it is important for believers to meet together, to worship, to praise God, to hear God's word, to encourage one another to continue living as Jesus commanded us to live, and to pray for each other.
    Hang on: jesus established WHICH church? And what do you mean by the word "church"?

The Christian church.

church - the fellowship of those who believe and trust in Jesus Christ as Lord, and as their Saviour. Those who live and speak for Jesus Christ in the world, and those who have been born again as a result of believing in His death - as a substitute for sin, and His resurrection - bringing us to new life in Him.

I think you're confusing the notion of a church as a mere institution with the church as a body of people who believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord.

I agree. Live and let live. It doesnt matter if you go to church at all really, I think alot of the bible has been grossly taken out of context and some people live by it horribly, I some how dont think being catholic or whatever means you can abuse people or mistreat them for living how they want, as long as they arent hurting anyone.
    Actually most problems arise from how different groups interpret 'context' and whether certain passages are meant to be taken literally or have a metaphorical meaning. Unfortunately the writers didn't decide to stick an asterix beside the parts we weren't meant to take seriously.

Therein lies the major problem with taking such a flawed collection of vague passages as a tool for moral guidance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Whitehall9

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Whitehall9 the new cover name for Youth Defence/Coir?
    I'm not sure what you're getting at with that response.
    It's a shame no one ever considered writing a more balanced article on Mina, as I feel people would be interested to also learn about her charitable work.

I'll be bowing out of this conversation now, I just felt compelled to pay my respects to a woman who helped to improve the opportunities available to me, and many others.
    May she Rest in Peace. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this difficult time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If BinLaden donated a billion dollars to charity before he died would the Americans suddenly think he was an alright ole lad? Would they f*ck.

Charity work does not absolve a person from their actions or their words. This person sounded truly vile and helping a few people with their studies does not change this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Of course personal friends of these fascists are going to think they're good people. Eva Braun, Josef Goebbels, Heinrich Himmler and Albert Speer probably all sat around and had a good laugh with Adolf Hitler. Hitler had a dog (on whom he lavished unquestionable love and affection), was a vegetarian, didn't drink or smoke... and yet, all these admirable qualities in his personal life cannot hide the fact that he was a repugnant dictator. (incidentally, that dog, Blondi, that he loved so much; he later poisoned the dog to test that cyanide would work when he took it).

Everyone can do good deeds in their personal lives to a select few, but can be a horrible, loathesome person to everyone else. They can spew pure toxin in their views, in their actions, in their beliefs. For these actions (actions that can have detrimental effects on other people's lives), there can be no amount of 'apologetic' or 'charitable' actions. Who cares if she helped people study? This vicious woman would have anyone who was not like her or who did not agree with her narrow, fascist, Catholic views hanged from the nearest tree. She was, in the words of Randal P. McMurphy: "something of a c*nt".

Society cannot, and will not, progress one iota until these religious and right-wing, narrow-minded nutjobs all finally go extinct and their venemous brand of religion dies with them.

It is understandable for a personal friend to feel a tinge of regret (most of Hitler's staff/comrades shot themselves shortly after his own suicide), but it is equally understandable for people who would find themselves on the receiving end of her vitriol (women who would want to have their rights, gays and lesbians... basically anyone who she hated herself) would be overjoyed to find that their persecutor and tormentor had finally gone to her eternal reward; I hope it's not too hot down there.

In signing off, I personally wish her no further harm that to be subjected to all the vile and horrible sexual practices in the afterlife that she decried so much; maybe she might have lightened up more in this life had she gotten a decent ride once in a while.

Dear me, I hope I wasn't too vicious there.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,386 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What religion? - If you're going to make claims about what God or Jesus said, we need to walk through what they did say about meeting together as Christians in the Bible.

Religion as an idea as oppose to a specific one. And there is no point going throgh the Bible to claim waht Jesus said, becuase it's all second-account: how do we know that what is written is accurate?

But the way Jesus is presented, is someone who does not tell people what to think. Religion (again, as in the idea) is an idea based on dogma which is usually binding.

I don't accept blindly the word of any church. I attend church because I think it is important for believers to meet together, to worship, to praise God, to hear God's word, to encourage one another to continue living as Jesus commanded us to live, and to pray for each other.

Which is fine. Unfortunately, there are a lot people, take the ladies being discussed, who do not. And there are a lot of people in the world who will reiterate the words of their religion without every stopping anf thinking for themselves. These people are pretty much ignorant by definition, as they are ignoring what the experience.
    The Christian church.

church - the fellowship of those who believe and trust in Jesus Christ as Lord, and as their Saviour. Those who live and speak for Jesus Christ in the world, and those who have been born again as a result of believing in His death - as a substitute for sin, and His resurrection - bringing us to new life in Him.

I think you're confusing the notion of a church as a mere institution with the church as a body of people who believe and trust in Jesus as their Lord.

You said "Jesus established the church" - I assumed you meant as in movement, as opposed to establishing an entire religion. Perhaps I misunderstood? If not, which specific branch of Christianity did he personally establish?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Whitehall9 wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you're getting at with that response.
    It's a shame no one ever considered writing a more balanced article on Mina, as I feel people would be interested to also learn about her charitable work.

I'll be bowing out of this conversation now, I just felt compelled to pay my respects to a woman who helped to improve the opportunities available to me, and many others.
    May she Rest in Peace. My thoughts are with her family and friends at this difficult time.

After reading what you've said I've decided to ignore the fact that because of her a woman abused her children for 4 years longer than was necessary.

Those children were raped and beaten when they could have been removed and placed in safety. Because of that woman, they underwent 4 years of additional abuse. 4 ****ing years.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/ultracatholics-under-fire-over-horror-house-1613957.html

But i guess she made up for that with your leaving cert so she's ok by me,.

Religion as an idea as oppose to a specific one. And there is no point going throgh the Bible to claim waht Jesus said, becuase it's all second-account: how do we know that what is written is accurate?

But the way Jesus is presented, is someone who does not tell people what to think. Religion (again, as in the idea) is an idea based on dogma which is usually binding.

What is religion as an idea? - The problem with using "religion" as a means to describe everything is that it causes a heck of a lot of confusion as to what you're talking about.

How is Jesus presented? - Jesus clearly preached, and Jesus clearly had a message to proclaim. To repent and believe in the Gospel (Mark 1:14-15). Straight out of the bat in Mark's Gospel Jesus says this. Jesus speaks clearly about society, and the nature of mankinds heart (Mark 7), and he also makes clear that He is the Messiah (Mark 8:29-30) who came to save them by His death on the cross (Mark 10:45 is one passage of many that says Jesus died as a ransom for mankind).

What is most shocking about Jesus' teaching is that He claims that we should live for Him rather than for ourselves:
    And calling the crowd to him with his disciples, he said to them, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me. For whoever would save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake and the gospel's will save it. For what does it profit a man to gain the whole world and forfeit his soul? For what can a man give in return for his soul? For whoever is ashamed of me and of my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him will the Son of Man also be ashamed when he comes in the glory of his Father with the holy angels.”

The Gospels were written so we an understand what Jesus told us about how we should live our lives. Jesus very clearly tells people what they should believe, and how they should live. Take a look at the Sermon of the Mount (Matthew 5 - 7).
    Which is fine. Unfortunately, there are a lot people, take the ladies being discussed, who do not. And there are a lot of people in the world who will reiterate the words of their religion without every stopping anf thinking for themselves. These people are pretty much ignorant by definition, as they are ignoring what the experience.

There are many people who might spout bigotry in the name of Christ. I reject that clearly because there's no Biblical grounding for it. By the by, you know as well as I do that people do this in respect to varying things including some secular ideologies.

I also think there are many people who make ignorant claims about Christianity and the Gospel without stopping to even consider what Christians actually believe.
    You said "Jesus established the church" - I assumed you meant as in movement, as opposed to establishing an entire religion. Perhaps I misunderstood? If not, which specific branch of Christianity did he personally establish?

He established Christianity and sent the apostles out to proclaim the good news of salvation to all nations (Matthew 28:20). That's it.

The church = the Christian church - those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord, and as their Saviour. That's what I mean when I say those things.

What is religion as an idea? - The problem with using "religion" as a means to describe everything is that it causes a heck of a lot of confusion as to what you're talking about.

How is Jesus presented? - Jesus clearly preached, and Jesus clearly had a message to proclaim. To repent and believe in the Gospel (Mark 1:14-15). Straight out of the bat in Mark's Gospel Jesus says this. Jesus speaks clearly about society, and the nature of mankinds heart (Mark 7), and he also makes clear that He is the Messiah (Mark 8:29-30) who came to save them by His death on the cross (Mark 10:45 is one passage of many that says Jesus died as a ransom for mankind).

What is most shocking about Jesus' teaching is that He claims that we should live for Him rather than for ourselves:

The Gospels were written so we an understand what Jesus told us about how we should live our lives. Jesus very clearly tells people what they should believe, and how they should live. Take a look at the Sermon of the Mount (Matthew 5 - 7).

There are many people who might spout bigotry in the name of Christ. I reject that clearly because there's no Biblical grounding for it. By the by, you know as well as I do that people do this in respect to varying things including some secular ideologies.

I also think there are many people who make ignorant claims about Christianity and the Gospel without stopping to even consider what Christians actually believe.

He established Christianity and sent the apostles out to proclaim the good news of salvation to all nations (Matthew 28:20). That's it.

The church = the Christian church - those who believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord, and as their Saviour. That's what I mean when I say those things.

Couple of things. How exactly did jesus manage to proclaim that the only way to salvation was to read the gospels when they weren't written till long after his death. And did he specify which ones? Cos there's all those gnostic gospels too.

And as for no biblical grounding for bigotry, have you read Leviticus?

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Leviticus+21%3A17-18&version=KJV
    18 For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous,

See, I have no problem with people believing in god. Or Jesus. But I do have difficulty when they treat the bible as gospel truth (pun intended). It's a collection of stuff written over thousands of years. Most of the new testament comes from translations written hundreds of years after the death of christ. And even the originals were written quite a while after the death of Jesus.

Follow the spirit of the book. But don't take any individual line as the word of god.
    Remember, for years genesis was taught as the actual creation of the world. It's only in the last few hundred years that the church has admitted it's wrong and is "allegorical". God only knows how much of the book is inaccurate (pun intended again)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

TBH, I think that modern Ireland is the best possible response to these people. Their ideology is dying and they're dying just as fast. I wonder what their dying moment is like? Do they die panicking when they don't see an angel?

Im Catholic, I never go to mass, I had a teenage pregnancy, I have one night stands, and I fooking love sex.

Well, be honest with both yourself and the census: you're not a Catholic. If you still believe in God and Christ and all that, find a church that matches your beliefs but the Catholic Church isn't for you...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Una also spoke fondly of “when Ireland was truly Ireland when we had our own language, culture and religion (and when) we were a moral nation”.
    Jaysus, she must be as old as the hills if she can remember back to before St Patrick came over and introduced the Italian Catholic faith.

• Advertisement

Only tonight I realised Im the biggest religious hyprocrite :V

Well you're either,

a) an a la carte Catholic: You believe in Jesus/God etc, but only the parts that suit. Go to mass at Xmas/Easter but don't see the need to every week. Probably more appropriate Christian religions for you than Catholicism but there's a cultural element for clinging on - see b)

or

b) a cultural Catholic: Same as a) except the believing part. Still want to get married in a church though, and somehow being Catholic seems an important part of your Irish identity

Advertisement