Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job question

Options
  • 08-08-2012 1:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭

Sadly cant mention the name of the company i work for.

Anyway ive been working there since July 2008. Its a job that would be busy for the summer months and during school weeks the night times and weekends would be the busiest. Its only part time. Ive been there 4 years now,in the last month i have won 4 out of 8 competitions (sales numbers etc) that took place, everytime i go on til i take in a lot of sales, im quick on the til, good with money etc. Everytime they ring me to do a shift about 90% of the time i will do it. I love doing the job.

But for next week i got the lowest hours out of 31 people a week after selling the most in a competition that was run a week ago. The total hours for the week were 551.95 (this were just for the team members, management hours are seperate) I got 16 Hours while 18-28 hours were given to other workers (some which are only there weeks). On my avaibilty form that was given out before the summer months i put down as avaible for any business hours.

I dont feel like i done anything wrong, i believe i do as good a job as everyone else. I dont get how one person can get so many hours per week and someone else doesnt get as many. 3 certain workers get in the region of 24-34 a week I just annoyed that people who are working for the company longer are getting less hours than new workers. I understand that the hours for each week given by head office can change due to demand etc.

As i will be going back to college in september i will need as many hours as possible during June, July and August. Over the last 2 months i have got in the region of 21-30 hours each week but this week i got 18 hours and for next week i got 16 hours. during the school weeks i work nites and weekends because i go to college locally.

I dont want to leave the job yet, ive made great friends there but if i continue to get less hours than everyone else (i understand i cant get highest hours every week) i think leaving mite be a better option.

Any advice on this or has anyone been in a similar position. ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Hi PTH2009 - you may get a more appropriate response in this forum.

Hope this works out for you.
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Are the newer employees likewise going to college or are they potential longer term prospects for the company? I.e. is the company thinking long term.

Without giving away the name of the company, what type of work is it? Do you have an affect on the amount the customer purchases through good salesmanship or do you just fulfill orders?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Are the newer employees on a lower wage? That could explain why the company wants them to have the most hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,415 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

its a job in the entertainment/visual sector. the business hours are between 9.30-00.30 (can be as late as 2am some nites).

AFAIK the new workers are going to college in september and there on the same rate as everyone else.

As i knw (winning a number of sales competitions in which the prizes can range from alcohol to vochers) it doesnt matter how much you sell each time you work on the til. i worked my bolexe off and get low hours

I am there 4 years probly one of the best workers there, like everyone else i can have off days but its just so unfair they way they divide hours. as i stated earlier some people get high hours every week and they have the same availabilty as myself. Some even have 1 or 2 other jobs. Also we dont get paid for breaks so the hours are even less

I would be happy with 20-25 hours per week but as i will be back in college in september i fear for my hours.

I dont knw what to do tbh

Advertisement