Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CHEAPEST BEER IN IRELAND

• 08-08-2012 4:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭

WHERE'S THE CHEAPEST BEER HOW MUCH IS EXCELSIOR
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

Excelsior is not the cheapest. Prices also depend on where you are so I can't imagine anyone possibly driving from one side of the country to the other just to save a few cent.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I find that cheap beer usually costs more in thr long run.

Instead of buying 10 beers for 1 each, why not buy 5 nicer beers for 2 each and enjoy them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Sorry about this thread everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Excelsior is not the cheapest.
    It the cheapest out of all the places I get beer. I have noticed a few places I go to have turned all their previously €1 cans into 4 for €5 offers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

How about Tesco brand? Are they not under €1 a can?

• Advertisement

Saruman wrote: »
    How about Tesco brand? Are they not under €1 a can?
    The tesco value stuff is really cheap, but it is only 2% or 2.5% so not really that fair to include. Excelsior is 4% and I think €3.09 for 4, or maybe €3.19

Is there not a 4% version? It's not the super cheap one, probably a tesco finest or something like that.

Incidentally I had the Tesco Double IPA in Scotland, which is just Brewdog Hardcore IPA re-badged. Lovely stuff.

Saruman wrote: »
    Is there not a 4% version?
    I think there is several alright, but I don't think any are cheaper than excelsior. They have the french beer in mini bottles, and some others.

Aldi have stuff called Galahad, not sure what price it is.

Hmm.. never pay attention myself, tesco is usually shockingly bad for beer. With the exception of their recent craft beer attempts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Sorry about this thread everyone.

Was somebody on the cheap beer last night?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Surely 40 bottles of Miller for €25 is as cheap as it can get?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Saw 12 cans of Aldi Galahad is €7.99 a 12 pack, thats fairly cheap, Dunnes own brand lager is/was 79c a can and at 4% alc quite cheap, dutch gold is the cheapest drink in my spar atm at €1 a can, prazsky is €4.50 a 4 pack cans

Nick

Instead of buying 10 beers for 1 each, why not buy 5 nicer beers for 2 each and enjoy them?
    Somebody could say that in reverse too though, it could be said about many products, like chocolate etc, each to their own.
    Surely 40 bottles of Miller for €25 is as cheap as it can get?
    I thought the OP was asking for ongoing prices, rather than current special offers. Unless you know of a place with 40 miller for €25 all year round. Either way it is not particularly cheap. 40 longnecks is 13.2L so €1.89 per litre
    yoyo wrote: »
    Saw 12 cans of Aldi Galahad is €7.99 a 12 pack, thats fairly cheap
    So this galahad is €1.33 per litre which is the cheapest mentioned so far (if not an offer). Excelsior is €1.54/L

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

WHERE'S THE CHEAPEST BEER
    Right here.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

rubadub wrote: »
    Somebody could say that in reverse too though, it could be said about many products, like chocolate etc, each to their own.

Sure, if you like. I'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

I suppose it depends on what cheap really means? Does it mean more volume of liquid, more alcohol or more enjoyment for your buck? Because often, the second and third criteria are met by buying less bottles of more expensive beer. Kinda like the analogy of someone buying a €100 pair of shoes that last for years vs someone who has to buy a new pair of cheap shoes every few months. Sometimes "cheap" can lead to a false economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

How long a pair of shoes last is measurable and definite. Enjoyment cannot be measured (on objective or scientific terms), and some people care less about enjoyment than others. Or rather, they have different standards for enjoyment - inebriation might be looked at harshly by the enlightened connoisseurs but their bourgeoisie attitude towards enjoyment might even be off putting for someone with different standards :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

You could buy starter brew kit and 5 more ingredient kits (€135ish) from store and have 220 500ml bottles of beer for about €0.60 each.

Will taste a lot better than cheap piss from offies too if you buy decent ingredient kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

tesco doing a nice beer called vratislav its czech has 5% alcohol and only 99 cent for a 500ml bottle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

daithi55 wrote: »
    tesco doing a nice beer called vratislav its czech has 5% alcohol and only 99 cent for a 500ml bottle

Brewed for Tesco by Staropramen, it's pretty meh, then again, I'm not a pale lager fan, so I wouldn't like it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

nice enough lager, often get it myself if i want a change from ales or stouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stella Artois now have a 4% lager in silver cans in Tesco for €1 a can.

It's light enough, veering towards Coors, not bad with food. Totally different to regular Stella Artois.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

no wonder we have such mayhem in our towns and cities with beer being so cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭daithi55

what this got to do with this thread
    the op asked what the cheapest beer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

what this got to do with this thread
    the op asked what the cheapest beer

I went through one year of college where my entire house was particularly broke and we definitely defined cheapest as the most mls of alcohol for your money, sometimes even resorting to taking out a calculator as we shopped! Best value in that regard, offers excluded, tended to be the beers in little green 250ml bottles like finkbrau, noblaner, biere d'or from the supermarkets. I know people may prefer better quality beers but if you want most alcohol then these must be close to the best value.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I went through one year of college where my entire house was particularly broke and we definitely defined cheapest as the most mls of alcohol for your money, sometimes even resorting to taking out a calculator as we shopped! Best value in that regard, offers excluded, tended to be the beers in little green 250ml bottles like finkbrau, noblaner, biere d'or from the supermarkets. I know people may prefer better quality beers but if you want most alcohol then these must be close to the best value.

In fairness, 50cl of 4% Dunnes lager for 79c is quite cheap, very hit and miss though as you can imagine. Aldi and Lidl have similarly priced beers I think.
    Funnily enough the "mayhem" in town is typically caused by the pub crowd. It doesn't matter what price the beer is, people will still get drunk and be anti social regardless. Off license prices have nothing to do with it, non staggered closing times for bars and clubs coupled with bar staff serving already drunk patrons more drink & shots doesn't help the situation I imagine...

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

nope.
    MAYHEM is caused by massive crowds of people on the street at the same time.

Why are they ALL on the street at the same time?
    Why? Why?
    I'll tell you why, its called closing time! And thats people leaving the pub not a house party.

And a neat trick of this arbitrary universal stopping of serving in pubs and clubs is that many folks IN pubs and clubs hit the shorts with a passion to make the most of the little time that they have left before the governments officially proclaimed time that theres to be no more drink and dancing.

Personally I love the continental way of being able to drink slowly and steadly into the wee hours till you eventually get bored of drinking or over full of beer and just go home quietly.

Anyhow, back on topic - the % content probably does have to be considered with cheap beer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Dymo

I find the 4% beers pretty much water and prefer the 4.5 or 5% stuff my self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

snowblind wrote: »
    How long a pair of shoes last is measurable and definite. Enjoyment cannot be measured (on objective or scientific terms), and some people care less about enjoyment than others. Or rather, they have different standards for enjoyment - inebriation might be looked at harshly by the enlightened connoisseurs but their bourgeoisie attitude towards enjoyment might even be off putting for someone with different standards :rolleyes:

I like great beers and inebriation, enjoying great beers while getting toasted is much more enjoyable than drinking pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Dymo wrote: »
    I find the 4% beers pretty much water and prefer the 4.5 or 5% stuff my self.

I like strong beers on occasion too, but there are great tasting ales around the 4% mark too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

I like great beers and inebriation, enjoying great beers while getting toasted is much more enjoyable than drinking pish.
    Yeah me too. But people have different standards and I think it's strange to assume otherwise. At least you can say what is the cheapest beer in Ireland in absolute terms, whenever you bring in enjoyment into the calculation, things get subjective.

Not cheapest, but beamish is €6 for 6 this saturday only in lidl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭scooterdoyle

kronenberg 1664 in my local centra at €3.20 per 660ml bottle
    works out at €5 a litre
    unbeatable value and quite a tasty beer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

@ scooterdoyle, please feel free to post in the Good Drink Bargain Alerts thread. This thread is too old so I'm closing it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement