Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The law, insurance etc!!! Need help

• 08-08-2012 9:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hubby bought a twin axle Fleetwood Garland 23ft.

His vehicle is a Toyota Hiace 2.5TD. It is insured and taxed as a commercial vehicle.

I then found out that our insurers will not cover the vehicle for towing a caravan and also that as it is taxed as a commercial we have a problem there too!!!!!!!:eek:

So much for hubby's impulse buying!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway that we can get round this???????

It is the only vehicle we have that is suitable for towing the caravan and we have now had it 18 months and haven't used it!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I wouldn't worry. Wait a week or two and they'll probably change the law again! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

shannon321 wrote: »
    Hubby bought a twin axle Fleetwood Garland 23ft.

His vehicle is a Toyota Hiace 2.5TD. It is insured and taxed as a commercial vehicle.

I then found out that our insurers will not cover the vehicle for towing a caravan and also that as it is taxed as a commercial we have a problem there too!!!!!!!:eek:

So much for hubby's impulse buying!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anyway that we can get round this???????

It is the only vehicle we have that is suitable for towing the caravan and we have now had it 18 months and haven't used it!!!!!!!!!!

Don't know about the above comment but the commercial vehicle should be used for work purposes only. Your not "supposed" to using it for anything else

Also it's a twin axle. So you need a 4 wheel drive afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Sorry about this, genuinely :o. A twin axle caravan, or for that matter any type of caravan, behind a Hi-Ace or any make of commercial vehicle will cause difficulties to do with a particular type of pre-conception :confused:

There is an outright ban on commercial vehicles on most caravan parks and many do not allow twin axle caravans because of past unpleasant experiences caused to site owners and their clients by some who use such combinations.

I would strongly suggest trying to get a passenger vehicle tow-car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 shannon321

Thanks everyone - I didn't think there would be a way around it, but I thought if any one knew, it would be here.

Hadn't thought of the concept of van + caravan (twin axled) being an isssue, but do understand the problems;)

Cheers me dears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Every commercial insurance policy I have had covered social domestic and pleasure. Take a look at axa it explicitly covers towing caravans:
    http://www.culleninsurances.ie/media/ignite/CLN-1209/docs/axa-commercial-vehicle-insurance-document.pdf
    Talk to a broker.

There is an issue with the tax though. You can choose to tax it privately of course - currently 1000 euro per year for a 2.5d.

I would definitely be concerned about peoples impressions towing a ginormous caravan with a hiace or a transit though if you pulled up some places they'd be out with the teleporter to move you on :eek::

• Advertisement

thanks moodrater - will check that out:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

moodrater wrote: »
    Every commercial insurance policy I have had covered social domestic and pleasure. Take a look at axa it explicitly covers towing caravans:

Correct AXA will cover you to tow a caravan, once the towing vehicle is rated to tow the caravan. Will even give you a letter stating the fact if you ask.

There is an issue with the tax though. You can choose to tax it privately of course - currently 1000 euro per year for a 2.5d.

See a lot of commercial vans (not just the makes mentioned below) towing caravans on the roads and doubt that they are all taxed privately, not that I condone the practice as I am taxed privately.
    I would definitely be concerned about peoples impressions towing a ginormous caravan with a hiace or a transit though if you pulled up some places they'd be out with the teleporter to move you on :eek::

Seems to be just those 2 makes of van above as I have a Transporter bus and tow a large german made caravan and never had a problem, either here or abroad

Thanks BTB - ironically, it was a toss up between the Hiace and a Transporter when we bought the van for Hubbys work, but, the Transporter wasn't in stock :)

Hubby is due for retirement soon so will have more time on his hands. We are both reluctant to get rid of the Hiace as we know her history from the start.

We are still mulling the whole situation over but really do appreciate the help:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,030 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Also it's a twin axle. So you need a 4 wheel drive afaik

If I ever find the pub where this lie was started I'll burn it down. The only restrictions on weight, or axles, is the towing vehicles rating and what licence you have. Very few tractor units are more than 2 wheel drive and they tow huge loads compared to a car/van

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Del2005 wrote: »
    Very few tractor units are more than 2 wheel drive and they tow huge loads compared to a car/van

Not strictly true. A tractor unit when pulling a loaded trailer will have around 11 tonne sitting on the pin, bearing down on the drive axle giving copious amounts of traction. Also being twin wheel, you technically have four wheel drive automatically. Compare that to a front wheel drive car and no matter what you stick onto the back of it you still only have the weight of the engine and front of the car sitting on the front drive wheels.

That, plus you can get twin drive axles on tractor units, technically making them 8 wheel drive, but I'm just being a smartie pants now. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭db

Not strictly true. A tractor unit when pulling a loaded trailer will have around 11 tonne sitting on the pin, bearing down on the drive axle giving copious amounts of traction. Also being twin wheel, you technically have four wheel drive automatically. Compare that to a front wheel drive car and no matter what you stick onto the back of it you still only have the weight of the engine and front of the car sitting on the front drive wheels.

That, plus you can get twin drive axles on tractor units, technically making them 8 wheel drive, but I'm just being a smartie pants now. :p

Bufort, Del2005 is correct that there is no law specifying that you must use a 4WD to pull a twin axel trailer. However, the towbar will have a max noseweight which must not be exceeded and the car will have a maximum towing capacity which with caravans should never be greater than the kerbweight of the car.

The big problem I can see with the OP's outfit is the overall weight which is probably around 4000KG so there may be license issues.

I've never come across a site in Ireland where there were problems with a twin axel caravan, unless length could be a difficulty. Most of the clients mentioned by Niloc have motorhomes these days anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

I wouldn't be getting rid of the hiace because of other peoples reactions.
    If it works for you to he'll with what people think... Their only highlighting their own prejudices.

Do check your towing capabilities though.
    Marty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭karmaan

martyc5674 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be getting rid of the hiace because of other peoples reactions.
    If it works for you to he'll with what people think... Their only highlighting their own prejudices.

Do check your towing capabilities though.
    Marty.

couldnt agree more! do your own thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Hiace is a great van lwb especially you could always invest in a few surfing or camping type decals from ebay if you're worried about appearances.
    Sadly the next hiace will be a rebadged psa yoke based. Wonder will people start importing the probox

Thanks guys, the Hiace is a lwb and is a great van, as I said before, it was bought from new and we know the history. Its low mileage and has been well looked after.

Luv the surfing stickers idea:cool:

May have to do a bit of "surfing" myself to get the stickers!!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisement